Discovered wxPython-Zombie

Steve Barnes

Jul 8, 2021, 7:21:00 AM7/8/21
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com

Stumbled across https://pypi.org/project/wxPython-zombie/ which starts off with:

The development of wxPython has died. Assuming there will be no more binary extension packages for future major versions of Python, wxPython-zombie will provide the 64-bit binary extension package (build with Visual Studio 2019) for MS Windows 10 and the source package to build for Linux. wxPython-zombie has a ton of issues, but no more development and issue solving will be done. You must not install wxPython and wxPython-zombie in the same environment, both packages use the package directory wx.

I think that this is more than a little misleading.

Any comments anybody?

Steve

Mike Driscoll

Jul 8, 2021, 10:03:12 AM7/8/21
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
I hope that's not true. I love wxPython!

Steve Barnes

Jul 8, 2021, 10:30:40 AM7/8/21
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com

Me also, hopefully Robin is simply busy with other things or someone(s) else will be handed the mantle.

Matt Newville

Jul 8, 2021, 11:03:25 AM7/8/21
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
There is a developer listed on that PyPI.org page.  It might be worth contacting them about why they made a project to overwrite wxpython and about their claim.  It has files -- I don't know what they contain.

FWIW, I think that the sort of obvious statement from the active users and proponents that "development has stalled" is about as worrying as someone else (apparently not actively engaged in the community) saying "development has died".   Five months of inactivity on github master branch and seven months without uploads to PyPI *is* a bit of a worry....

I certainly hope all is well too!

--Matt

rolfofsaxony

Jul 8, 2021, 11:19:10 AM7/8/21
to wxPython-users
Matt, see my other post. I issued a challenge to the developer listed on PyPi.
Put up proof or take down the claim.
We'll have to wait and see what he does.
Rolf

Matt Newville

Jul 8, 2021, 11:48:13 AM7/8/21

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021, 10:19 AM rolfofsaxony <rolfof...@gmail.com> wrote:
Matt, see my other post. I issued a challenge to the developer listed on PyPi.
Put up proof or take down the claim.

Well, demanding proof seems a bit dramatic, but it might be helpful to have a conversation about their reasoning and motivation. It might also be good to hear from actual developers to settle the distinction of whether the parrot is  "resting" or "bereft of life, kicked the bucket, ...".

Charles McKnight

Jul 8, 2021, 12:24:47 PM7/8/21
to 'bht' via wxPython-users
I disagree about months of inactivity being any sort of indicator on Github. wxPython is a relatively mature, stable product as is the wxWidgets library it is built atop. I’m seeing severael pull requests on Github so it may be more likely that Robin is just busy with other things right now.

Matt Newville

Jul 8, 2021, 12:55:35 PM7/8/21
On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 11:24 AM Charles McKnight <chuckm...@gmail.com> wrote:
I disagree about months of inactivity being any sort of indicator on Github. wxPython is a relatively mature, stable product as is the wxWidgets library it is built atop. I’m seeing severael pull requests on Github so it may be more likely that Robin is just busy with other things right now.

Well, I think it is not unreasonable to read "no visible activity on GitHub (or similar)"  as an indication of a deficit of "life" for a project.  I'm certainly not agreeing with the claim of "dead".  "Resting" and "stable and so not actively developed" are certainly acceptable states for a project, and often preferable.

So, one response might be "you say 'dead' as if that is a bad thing".

But if one is going to start an argument demanding proof of death, they might want to have evidence of life.

--Matt

Charles McKnight

Jul 8, 2021, 1:03:55 PM7/8/21
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
Lol. In all seriousness, I don’t think judging a project as “dead” based on Github activity is a good measure. If one is concerned about whether or not a project is “dead”, it would seem to me to be more appropriate to contact the maintainer(s) first before making that call. Perhaps all of the major bugs have been squashed and with places reopening the maintainers are taking some time to mentally air out. it is summer after all. Lol.

However, the most prudent course of action to put this “controversy” to rest would be to contact Robin and ask, and doing so before declaring a project “dead” would also be a matter of simple courtesy as well.

Perhaps it’s more a case of Schroedinger’s Cat.. Lol

Jesus Guardon

Jul 8, 2021, 7:15:31 PM7/8/21
El 08/07/21 a las 19:03, Charles McKnight escribió:
> Lol. In all seriousness, I don’t think judging a project as “dead” based on Github activity is a good measure. If one is concerned about whether or not a project is “dead”, it would seem to me to be more appropriate to contact the maintainer(s) first before making that call.

If I am not wrong, did you notice that the author is referring to the
3.1.5 version? Could that be the reason why he's claiming it would be
dead, as it's not maintained anymore or at least, not as often as the
Phoenix version?

I'm not worried at all, WxPython is a mature tool which don't need
constant updates, but only a few bug fixes occasionally.

--
Jesus Guardon