is there a way to suppress these warning messages

johnf

Jul 3, 2019, 6:12:53 PM7/3/19
to wxPython-users

Hi,

I get these messages on OpenSuse 15.1, python 3.6, and wxPython 4.04.  I don't see them on Windows 10 (of course that makes sense since there is not GTK).  The messages appear on the console but DO NOT effect the program from running correctly.  In the past (python 2.7 and wxPython 3.x) I use to get a few of these message but now the list is about 50 - 60 (didn't really count).   So is there a way suppress the messages???  Below is just example of the types of messages that appear.

Johnf

(esStudent.py:25288): Gtk-WARNING **: Negative content width -1 (allocation 1, extents 1x1) while allocating gadget (node scrolledwindow, owner GtkScrolledWindow)

(esStudent.py:25288): Gtk-WARNING **: Negative content height -1 (allocation 1, extents 1x1) while allocating gadget (node scrolledwindow, owner GtkScrolledWindow)

(esStudent.py:25288): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkScrollbar

(esStudent.py:25288): Gtk-WARNING **: Negative content width -17 (allocation 1, extents 9x9) while allocating gadget (node entry, owner GtkEntry)

(esStudent.py:25288): Gtk-WARNING **: Negative content width -17 (allocation 1, extents 9x9) while allocating gadget (node entry, owner GtkEntry)

(esStudent.py:25288): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkScrollbar

(esStudent.py:25288): Gtk-WARNING **: Negative content height -9 (allocation 1, extents 5x5) while allocating gadget (node button, owner GtkButton)

(esStudent.py:25288): Gtk-WARNING **: Negative content width -17 (allocation 1, extents 9x9) while allocating gadget (node entry, owner GtkEntry)

(esStudent.py:25288): Gtk-WARNING **: Negative content width -17 (allocation 1, extents 9x9) while allocating gadget (node entry, owner GtkEntry)

(esStudent.py:25288): Gtk-WARNING **: Negative content width -17 (allocation 1, extents 9x9) while allocating gadget (node entry, owner GtkEntry)

(esStudent.py:25288): Gtk-WARNING **: Negative content height -3 (allocation 1, extents 2x2) while allocating gadget (node checkbutton, owner GtkCheckButton)

(esStudent.py:25288): Gtk-WARNING **: for_size smaller than min-size (0 < 18) while measuring gadget (node check, owner GtkCheckButton)

(esStudent.py:25288): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkCheckButton

Tim Roberts

Jul 3, 2019, 9:45:44 PM7/3/19
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
johnf wrote:
I get these messages on OpenSuse 15.1, python 3.6, and wxPython 4.04.  I don't see them on Windows 10 (of course that makes sense since there is not GTK).  The messages appear on the console but DO NOT effect the program from running correctly.  In the past (python 2.7 and wxPython 3.x) I use to get a few of these message but now the list is about 50 - 60 (didn't really count).   So is there a way suppress the messages???

I wish there were.  I have a C++ wxWidgets application that also gets 50 or 60 of these messages on startup.  The app is basically a notebook with about 10 pages, each of which is a moderately complicated dialog.  I SUSPECT that this problem happens while it is building the notebook pages, because the window is not yet visible.  I have tried multiple times to step through this in a debugger (and I am very good at C++ debugging), but I cannot find the root cause.

--
Tim Roberts, ti...@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

johnf

Jul 3, 2019, 10:34:26 PM7/3/19
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com

I was afraid that was the situation.

Thanks for looking,

Johnf

Steve Barnes

Jul 4, 2019, 12:39:26 AM7/4/19
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com

One trick that may work that I have seen used in the past is to display the window early, (and incomplete), but not visible, e.g. take a note of the intended screen coordinates then display the incomplete window at a set of coordinates that are outside of the available monitor(s), finish construction & layout then move to the saved coordinates, (ideally ensuring that they are all within the currently available monitor(s)).

I don’t know for sure that this will help but it could be worth a try.

Steve