New "Discuss wxPython" site

Robin Dunn

Jul 17, 2019, 11:03:51 PM7/17/19
to wxPython-users, wxpyth...@googlegroups.com, wxpytho...@wxpython.org, wxpyth...@wxpython.org
Hi all,

I've recently had need to read and post to some forums implemented using
Discourse, (see https://www.discourse.org/,) including Python's at
https://discuss.python.org/. I've been very impressed with it, so I
decided to try it out. You can see the result at:
https://discuss.wxpython.org/

Some of the things I like are:

* Posts can use Markdown for rich formatting.
* Real time updates to the topic being viewed as new posts are made.
* A bit of GitHub integration
* Multiple categories on one site vs. 2 separate and distinct groups
* Easy searching across categories, or within one category, or within
one topic
* It has a maillist mode, although I haven't tried that yet.
* Easy LnF and feature customization per site or per user
* trust levels, groups and security
* notifications
* good UI and interaction on mobile

As you can see if you visit the site, I've imported the posts from
wxPython-users and wxPython-dev (as of a few days ago.) The reformatting
of the messages sometimes wasn't great, but as far as I can tell the
content and attachments all made it in okay. There was almost 109,000
messages imported, going back 20 years!

As part of the import user accounts were created for all sender email
addresses, but in a "staged" state. This means that if you go through
the normal sign-up on the site with the email you used to post to
wxPython-users or wxPython-dev, then it will automatically associate
your account with your existing messages. If you don't like the
automatically assigned username then you can change that in your
preferences.

I'm not 100% sure yet if we'll switch exclusively to the forum for group
communications, I'd like to get some feedback first. But I like it so far.

Oh, yeah... It's written in Ruby, but we won't hold that against them. ;-)

--
Robin

J Grimmtooth

Jul 18, 2019, 2:26:30 PM7/18/19
to wxPython-dev
Robin,

I'm not 100% sure yet if we'll switch exclusively to the forum for group
communications, I'd like to get some feedback first. But I like it so far.

Feedback: I'm glad to see an RSS feed, that makes keeping up very convenient. Thanks for that!

Oh, yeah... It's written in Ruby, but we won't hold that against them. ;-)

Nobody's perfect ... :)

Regards,

Jeff

Eric Fahlgren

Jul 18, 2019, 4:58:38 PM7/18/19
to wxPyth...@googlegroups.com
The VTK project moved over to Discourse a few months back, too, and it seems to be working out quite well for them.  I do appreciate the ability to just paste in formatting and screen snaps knowing that they'll be delivered correctly, without some intervening email client mangling everything...

Mike Driscoll

Jul 18, 2019, 5:35:00 PM7/18/19
to wxPyth...@googlegroups.com
Robin,

It looks like discuss ignores the username field and used my first name + a number for my username. Not sure why. I specified a username and it said the username was available and then it assigned me Mike3 instead.

I don't have a way to change it as far as I can see, but I thought I should point that out in case anyone else runs into that issue.

Mike

Robin Dunn

Jul 18, 2019, 6:50:16 PM7/18/19
to wxPython-dev
Mike,

You had three staged accounts because of different email addresses you've used over the years, so that may have had something to do with it.

You should be able to change your username in your preferences page. Click the icon in the upper right of the page, then click the gear icon. Editing the username is the first item in the Account section.

If that doesn't work then email me privately and we can work out the details together.

--
Robin

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 3:58 PM Eric Fahlgren <ericfa...@gmail.com> wrote:
The VTK project moved over to Discourse a few months back, too, and it seems to be working out quite well for them.  I do appreciate the ability to just paste in formatting and screen snaps knowing that they'll be delivered correctly, without some intervening email client mangling everything...

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 11:26 AM J Grimmtooth <grimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Robin,

I'm not 100% sure yet if we'll switch exclusively to the forum for group
communications, I'd like to get some feedback first. But I like it so far.

Feedback: I'm glad to see an RSS feed, that makes keeping up very convenient. Thanks for that!

Oh, yeah... It's written in Ruby, but we won't hold that against them. ;-)

Nobody's perfect ... :)

Regards,

Jeff

Robin Dunn

Jul 18, 2019, 6:51:17 PM7/18/19
to wxPython-dev
On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 1:58:38 PM UTC-7, Eric Fahlgren wrote:
The VTK project moved over to Discourse a few months back, too, and it seems to be working out quite well for them.

Yep, once I became aware of it I'm suddenly seeing it in lots of places now.

--
Robin