Extending WxMaxima to a multi language IDE for mathematics and data science

Foad

Aug 20, 2018, 4:22:37 AM8/20/18
to wx-users
Hello Wx guys,

While ago I posted an idea here in the WxMaxima github, about turning it into a language agnostic IDE for different languages such as R, Jupyter, Sage... What made Jupyter out of IPython, one GUI for different kernels. Unfortunately it didn't get much attention. I was wondering if any of you guys could take a look at it:

It will be a great advertisement for WxWidget in my opinion too extending the user base.

Best,
Foad

Gunter Königsmann

Aug 22, 2018, 12:59:18 AM8/22/18
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
I was very proud when this ticket appeared in the issue tracker.

From the programming side in order to make wxMaxima multi-language the maxima-specific stuff would need to move behind an abstraction layer. Which might be a good idea, anyway. And we would need someone with the need to use a scientific tool different to Maxima and with time to do the actual programming.

---

As wxMaxima uses a big range of wxWidget's features and has grown quite fast and stable I was already thinking if it was worth to ask if it were elegible for the showcase on the wxWidgets homepage...

Foad Sojoodi Farimani

Aug 23, 2019, 5:30:39 AM8/23/19
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
Dear Gunter,

For some reason, I can't find the issue I had opened now. The link is broken. But I have recently found about Cantor-LabPlot which is kind of moving towards what I had proposed.

Best,
Foad

Foad Sojoodi Farimani

Jan 2, 2023, 3:14:08 AM1/2/23
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
Dear Gunter,

Here on the #maxima channel on the Modelica Discord server, there is a discussion about maxima interfacing, that might interest you.

P.S. this blogpost about LabPlot-Cantor also is a nice read.

Best,
F.