wxWebView edge backend info/doc

Quentin Cosendey

Jun 24, 2022, 4:46:01 AM6/24/22
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have successfully been able to install edge backend by following the
instructions at
https://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/classwx_web_view.html
For info, I'm using MinGW64 but compiling in 32 bit mode.

However, I think something is still missing in these instructions.

On my first trial, edge backend didn't work, IE was silently loaded at
its place as before, and I got the following message when running in
debug mode:

warning: WebView2: Failed to find an installed WebView2 runtime or
non-stable Microsoft Edge installation.

After some search, I discovered that in fact, edge webview runtime must
be separately installed on the system, or at least, it wasn't already
installed on my windows 10 machine, although the normal edge web browser
is already installed and working fine.
I downloaded edge runtime here:
https://developer.microsoft.com/fr-fr/microsoft-edge/webview2/#download-section

More importantly, this edge webview runtime must be installed on user's
system as well.
I think this deserves an additional note in the documentation. Don't you
think so ?

Thank you and have a nice week-end.

Vadim Zeitlin

Jun 26, 2022, 7:37:01 PM6/26/22
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 24 Jun 2022 10:45:58 +0200 Quentin Cosendey wrote:

QC> I have successfully been able to install edge backend by following the
QC> instructions at
QC> https://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/classwx_web_view.html
QC> For info, I'm using MinGW64 but compiling in 32 bit mode.
QC>
QC> However, I think something is still missing in these instructions.
QC>
QC> On my first trial, edge backend didn't work, IE was silently loaded at
QC> its place as before, and I got the following message when running in
QC> debug mode:
QC>
QC> warning: WebView2: Failed to find an installed WebView2 runtime or
QC> non-stable Microsoft Edge installation.
QC>
QC> After some search, I discovered that in fact, edge webview runtime must
QC> be separately installed on the system, or at least, it wasn't already
QC> installed on my windows 10 machine, although the normal edge web browser
QC> is already installed and working fine.
QC> I downloaded edge runtime here:
QC> https://developer.microsoft.com/fr-fr/microsoft-edge/webview2/#download-section
QC>
QC> More importantly, this edge webview runtime must be installed on user's
QC> system as well.
QC> I think this deserves an additional note in the documentation. Don't you
QC> think so ?

Sorry, I don't know much about Edge backend, so I am not sure what should
this note say or where should it be added (and, in fact, even if it's not
already mentioned somewhere, as I vaguely remember something about this,
but not the details). Any PRs to the docs would be gratefully accepted, as
usual, but if not, please open an issue to remind us to do this again (and
maybe help someone who is going to search for the solution to the same
problem you've had).

Thanks,
VZ

http://www.tt-solutions.com/