wxGrid not showing editor while typing

Mihai Oltean

Dec 4, 2023, 5:02:16 AM12/4/23
to wx-users
Hi,

I have MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2 and latest wxWidgets from Github.
Recently, I have noticed that the editor is not shown when I type text into a wxGrid cell.

This problem was not present before.

I suspect that the problem is due to an update of wxWidgets, because an older build (from June 2023) of my application works correctly on latest MacOS.

best regards,
Mihai

Vadim Zeitlin

Dec 4, 2023, 8:38:21 AM12/4/23
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 02:02:16 -0800 (PST) Mihai Oltean wrote:

MO> I have MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2 and latest wxWidgets from Github.
MO> Recently, I have noticed that the editor is not shown when I type text into
MO> a wxGrid cell.
MO>
MO> This problem was not present before.
MO>
MO> I suspect that the problem is due to an update of wxWidgets, because an
MO> older build (from June 2023) of my application works correctly on latest
MO> MacOS.

I suspect it may have been broken by one of the recent fixes to the
clipping problems with Sonoma (unfortunately, Sonoma seems to be pretty
catastrophic from the compatibility point of view even for Apple, silently
breaking the behaviour of the existing programs in many new and exciting
ways), but if you could please run git-bisect to find out which exact
commit broke it, it would still be useful.

In any case, I can't do anything about it myself as I don't even have
macOS 14 to test with, so all I can say for now is to please open an issue
on GitHub about this problem so that at least doesn't get lost.

Thanks,
VZ

https://www.tt-solutions.com/

Mihai Oltean

Dec 4, 2023, 10:15:41 AM12/4/23
to wx-users
Hi,

I just tested on Windows (10) and it works with no problem.
So, the problem is specific to MacOS and it appeared only after a recent update of wxWidgets.

best regards,
Mihai

Stefan Csomor

Dec 4, 2023, 4:49:46 PM12/4/23
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mihai

I fear it has to do with the native clipping fix I had applied to fix scrolling windows under Sonoma (their scrollbars were bleeding through).

Could you please open a bug report.

Thanks,

Stefan

--
Please read https://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.
---

mihai....@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2024, 5:16:43 AMFeb 5
to wx-users
Hi,

Any news about this bug?
Practically wxGrid is unusable ...

waiting,
Mihai

Daniel Kulp

Feb 5, 2024, 11:21:03 AMFeb 5
to wx-users
This is logged as https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/issues/24201 but no progress at all.
Dan

mihai....@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2024, 2:43:35 AMFeb 7
to wx-users
Hi,

I know that it has been logged.
But, 2+ months have been passed since this bug was introduced!
Practically people cannot use wxGrid.
In my personal opinion more stability is infinitely better than more buggy features.

best regards,
Mihai

Vadim Zeitlin

Feb 7, 2024, 8:22:10 AMFeb 7
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 6 Feb 2024 23:43:35 -0800 (PST) mihai....@gmail.com wrote:

m> I know that it has been logged.
m> But, 2+ months have been passed since this bug was introduced!
m> Practically people cannot use wxGrid.
m> In my personal opinion more stability is infinitely better than more buggy
m> features.

I think you misunderstand how wxWidgets project works. It's an old-school
open source project, where people contribute to fix the problems (or add
features) that they personally care about, there is no single central
entity deciding what to do or not to do.

In this particular case, I have absolutely no idea how to fix this bug,
which is due to Apple completely changing the way their API works (for the
umpteenth time) and I don't even have macOS 14 to test it on (but it
probably wouldn't help if I did). If anybody can help with it, it would be
great. But not working on other features (no idea which of them are buggy)
won't help with fixing this in any way at all.

Again, any help is welcome, but if you can't or don't want to help, you're
absolutely free to complain too, of course. It's just that you shouldn't
have any expectations of this having any (positive) effect.

Regards,

mihai....@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2024, 1:23:52 AMFeb 11
to wx-users
Hi,

In my opinion, I have contributed to wxWidgets project in multiple ways:

- First of all, I have created multiple applications using wxWidgets.

Here is one of them: https://mepx.github.io
It is used by researchers (all over the world) to analyze data (see the papers section of my website).
Here it the About window:

Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 8.09.34 AM.png

The wxWidgets is visibly mentioned there ...

Does this count as a contribution to the wxWidgets project?

- When I worked as a professor, I taught my students how to use wxWidgets. Maybe some of them will use it at their private companies...
Does this count as a contribution to the wxWidgets project?

Anyway, to make further releases on my software, I need a working wxGrid.
I cannot fix it by myself. I do not have the time and the know-how to do it.
Can you help?

Again, in my opinion, it is fundamental to have a stable library (even with less features, even without wxGrid), but it must be stable and working long term!
Without stability, all I (we - maybe there are some other people in my state) have created is just garbage!

Thank you for understanding,
Mihai

Vadim Zeitlin

Feb 11, 2024, 7:21:16 AMFeb 11
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 22:23:51 -0800 (PST) mihai....@gmail.com wrote:

m> In my opinion, I have contributed to wxWidgets project in multiple ways:

Please note that I've never implied that you didn't, but this is quite
orthogonal to what I was saying anyhow. Again, many, maybe even most, of
the people on this list have contributed to wxWidgets, and it's great. But
this doesn't mean that you can expect them to fix some particular bug, this
is just not how it works.

m> Anyway, to make further releases on my software, I need a working wxGrid.
m> I cannot fix it by myself. I do not have the time and the know-how to do it.
m> Can you help?

I don't know how to fix it neither and I'd need to spend a lot of time to
even try to understand what exactly has changed in macOS. And I don't even
have the version of macOS where it happens. So unless I have a request from
a customer who needs to use wxGrid under macOS 14, which would allow me to
do it during my "work hours", I'm very unlikely to be able to do it.

m> Again, in my opinion, it is fundamental to have a stable library (even with
m> less features, even without wxGrid), but it must be stable and working long
m> term!

wxWidgets itself is pretty stable and we do try to fix any regressions
caused by our own changes. And it still works on macOS 13 (and any previous
versions) just as well as it ever did. But it's difficult to fix things at
the speed at which Apple is breaking them.

Again, any help with this is welcome. If you can't help, this is fine, of
course, but just as I can't _expect_ you to fix the bug yourself, you
probably shouldn't expect others to fix it neither as it just results in
disappointment.

Daniel Kulp

Feb 11, 2024, 9:33:18 AMFeb 11
to wx-users
For xLights, we build wxWidgets with 5dffb76 and bcbc31e reverted.  This allows the wxGrid to work, but can result in controls drawing under the scrollbars.    The latter is more of a visual thing which is way more tolerable than something like wxGrid not working at all.  Personally, I'd revert those in the main wxWidgets repo until someone can figure out the wxGrid thing.  Visual artifacts are one thing, something completely not usable is an entirely different matter.

Dan

Vadim Zeitlin

Feb 11, 2024, 11:07:49 AMFeb 11
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 11 Feb 2024 06:33:18 -0800 (PST) Daniel Kulp wrote:

DK> For xLights, we build wxWidgets with 5dffb76 and bcbc31e reverted. This
DK> allows the wxGrid to work, but can result in controls drawing under the
DK> scrollbars. The latter is more of a visual thing which is way more
DK> tolerable than something like wxGrid not working at all. Personally, I'd
DK> revert those in the main wxWidgets repo until someone can figure out the
DK> wxGrid thing. Visual artifacts are one thing, something completely not
DK> usable is an entirely different matter.

Thanks, I agree with this and if reverting bcbc31e is enough to fix the
behaviour, we should do it for now and I've created

https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/pull/24301

to do it in master, which I plan to merge unless Stefan asks me not to
(and it will also have to be applied to 3.2, of course).