Strange bug on OSX / wxTextCtrl with double quotes

Eran Ifrah

Jun 24, 2017, 4:13:57 PM6/24/17
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I got a CodeLite user which reported this bug report:

In short:
When he enters double quotes in a wxPropertyGrid with a text field like this: "Layer" it turns out to be: „Layer“

Any idea where to start looking? any settings that I should be turning off in wxWidgets?

--
Eran Ifrah,
Author of CodeLite, a cross platform open source C/C++ IDE: http://www.codelite.org

Artur Wieczorek

Jun 24, 2017, 5:49:59 PM6/24/17
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com

> I got a CodeLite user which reported this bug report:
>
> https://github.com/eranif/codelite/issues/1680
>
> In short:
> When he enters double quotes in a wxPropertyGrid with a text field like
> this: "Layer" it turns out to be: „Layer“

Hi,

For which wxPG property is this issue observed? wxStringProperty?
Is this issue reproducible with wxTextCtrl (in e.g. widgets sample)?

Regards,
AW

Jim Orcheson

Jun 24, 2017, 9:49:27 PM6/24/17
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com

My first guess is that this has something to do with his locale. Think languages that invert ! at the beginning of a sentence that ends with ! and the same for ?

Jim

Gunter Königsmann

Jun 25, 2017, 2:14:32 AM6/25/17
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
German installations of OS X do this in many programs...

Stefano Mtangoo

Jun 25, 2017, 6:32:33 AM6/25/17
to wx-users

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 11:13:57 PM UTC+3, Eran Ifrah wrote:
Hi,

I got a CodeLite user which reported this bug report:

In short:
When he enters double quotes in a wxPropertyGrid with a text field like this: "Layer" it turns out to be: „Layer“

Any idea where to start looking? any settings that I should be turning off in wxWidgets?

I have found that single quote, double quote and caret character are troublesome even in my english installation for exampme If I have to Type "Images" correctly then I have to type "<space>Images"<space>. If I type just the word without spaces I get Ïmages asyou can see.

Am not sure if it is the cause but am nowdays used to that!

Steve Barnes

Jun 25, 2017, 9:02:37 AM6/25/17
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com

On 25/06/2017 11:32, Stefano Mtangoo wrote:

> On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 11:13:57 PM UTC+3, Eran Ifrah wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I got a CodeLite user which reported this bug report:
>
> https://github.com/eranif/codelite/issues/1680
> <https://github.com/eranif/codelite/issues/1680>
>
> In short:
> When he enters double quotes in a wxPropertyGrid with a text field
> like this: "Layer" it turns out to be: „Layer“
>
> Any idea where to start looking? any settings that I should be
> turning off in wxWidgets?
>

> I have found that single quote, double quote and caret character are
> troublesome even in my english installation for exampme If I have to
> Type "Images" correctly then I have to type "<space>Images"<space>. If I
> type just the word without spaces I get Ïmages asyou can see.
>
> Am not sure if it is the cause but am nowdays used to that!

I was often finding a similar problem when I emailed, (using Outlook),
commands for less experienced users to input on the command line. They
would, not unreasonably, copy the line that was in the email but outlook
had replaced ASCII single and double quotes with start & end single &
double quotes, also ASCII - was being replaced with hyphen or minus.
This was causing hard to diagnose errors, (which I was often sent screen
shots of).

Likewise a lot of our user & installation manuals are required to be
authored in MS-Word which does similar things.

In the end I wrote a parameter sanitiser for all of my scripts to use
which looks up any characters outside of the 0-127 address range and
makes the required substitutions or if no substitution is available in
it's list at least gives a sensible error message.

You could use a static function in your code as a validator which
performs a similar set of substitutions.

--
Steve (Gadget) Barnes
those of my employer.

---
http://www.avg.com

Vadim Zeitlin

Jun 27, 2017, 8:39:30 PM6/27/17
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 23:13:35 +0300 Eran Ifrah wrote:

EI> Hi,
EI>
EI> I got a CodeLite user which reported this bug report:
EI>
EI> https://github.com/eranif/codelite/issues/1680
EI>
EI> In short:
EI> When he enters double quotes in a wxPropertyGrid with a text field like
EI> this: "Layer" it turns out to be: „Layer“
EI>
EI> Any idea where to start looking? any settings that I should be turning off
EI> in wxWidgets?

In 3.1 you can use OSXEnableAutomaticQuoteSubstitution(false) or, if you
also want to disable dash substitution and any other future «smart»
substitutions Apple decides to implement, OSXDisableAllSmartSubstitutions()
to prevent this from happening.

Regards,
VZ

http://www.tt-solutions.com/