Unable to login to https://forums.wxwidgets.org

utelle

Sep 13, 2021, 3:59:18 AM9/13/21
to wx-dev
Hello,

since 2 days I'm unable to login to https://forums.wxwidgets.org. When I try, I'm asked to enter user id and password, but after pressing the "Login" button the forum start page is displayed again in non-logged-in state. I repeated this several times over the last 2 days without success. I cleared cookies and browser cache without any positive effect. I even tried to login from 2 other devices, but always failed.

It would be nice if someone could check the server. Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Ulrich

utelle

Sep 13, 2021, 4:07:23 AM9/13/21
to wx-dev
Interestingly login started to work again a couple of minutes ago. Hopefully it stays that way.

Igor Korot

Sep 13, 2021, 8:12:32 AM9/13/21
to wx-dev
Ulrich,

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021, 03:07 utelle <ulrich...@gmx.de> wrote:
Interestingly login started to work again a couple of minutes ago. Hopefully it stays that way.

It will not.
It will come and go intermittently.

Brian tried to fix it about a month ago, but failed.

And now I guess he is too busy at work...

Thank you

utelle schrieb am Montag, 13. September 2021 um 09:59:18 UTC+2:
Hello,

since 2 days I'm unable to login to https://forums.wxwidgets.org. When I try, I'm asked to enter user id and password, but after pressing the "Login" button the forum start page is displayed again in non-logged-in state. I repeated this several times over the last 2 days without success. I cleared cookies and browser cache without any positive effect. I even tried to login from 2 other devices, but always failed.

It would be nice if someone could check the server. Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Ulrich

utelle

Sep 13, 2021, 6:04:55 PM9/13/21
to wx-dev
Igor,

unfortunately you are right - forum login is again not working for me.

A quick google search revealed that phpBB login problems seem to be a rather common problem. However, I didn't find any hint what may cause the problems.

Kind regards,
Ulrich

utelle

Sep 13, 2021, 6:15:39 PM9/13/21
to wx-dev
It's just a wild guess, but maybe a large number of bots have accessed the forum. It might help to empty the phpBB cache directory on the server and to adjust the .htaccess file. For details see

Regards,
Ulrich

PB

Sep 14, 2021, 1:10:46 PM9/14/21
to wx-dev
Hi,

I believe this is the same issue that has plagued the forum for a long time, and is described here: https://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=47133

It manifests differently, sometimes one cannot login, unless he checks "Remember me" but that is fake login, not allowing to post. If one is already logged, posting is impossible and results into "Submitted form is invalid" error. But accessing a user control panel still works but marking forums as read does not.

It seems to be always somehow related to cookies (and the SID being in the URL when it does not work) and fixes itself in a few hours.

Regardless, I find it quite annoying, as it happens often.

Regards,
PB

utelle

Sep 14, 2021, 3:40:33 PM9/14/21
to wx-dev
Hi PB,

yes, it is certainly the same issue as described in the forum post you mentioned. Checking "remember me" doesn't help a bit - it is impossible to post and to log out. Removing cookies or clearing the browser cache on the client side doesn't help either. Therefore I'm pretty sure that it is a problem on the server with the phpBB software.

As mentioned in my previous post the problem seems to be related to the phpBB session cache and a high number of access attempts from bots - at least this is reported by some other sites which use phpBB.

Without looking at the log files of the wxForum server it is impossible to tell whether the wxForum server experiences the same type of problem.

Regards,
Ulrich