pluto - issue reported on GitHub - error: undefined method `to_time' for nil:NilClass

Nathan Wallach

Feb 13, 2020, 3:05:59 AM2/13/20
to wwwmake
On a new install of pluto.starter on Debian 10 - issues with date processing prevented the creation of output until offending code was removed from planet-starter/planet.starter.html.erb which reduced the date in the output file.

See: https://github.com/feedreader/pluto.starter/issues/1

Gerald Bauer

Feb 13, 2020, 4:16:21 AM2/13/20
to www...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Thanks for trying pluto and thanks for the details error report and
trying to find the template variable that breaks everything.

Sorry I was breaking things while improving the feed machinery.
Most (atom) feeds do NOT have a published date (but only an updated
date). item.published no longer falls back to item.updated (only
item.updated falls back to item.published).

Anyways, long story short: The fix is to change item.published to
item.updated. I have updated the starter template in the repo. Please,
update and retry: Thank you again for reporting.

Cheers. Prost.

Gerald Bauer

Feb 13, 2020, 4:21:18 AM2/13/20
to www...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Thinking it through I guess it's too late or too strict (draconian)
and I add the fallback back with the next update (will take some days,
sorry).
Anways, using item.updated is nevertheless recommended. In the
future (with the next update) to avoid confusion what date to use I
will add a new item.date to make it simpler / easier that is an alias
for item.updated. Cheers. Prost.

Nathan Wallach

Feb 13, 2020, 9:10:20 AM2/13/20
to wwwmake
Fix tested and it works... GitHub issue also updated.