Sunrise Festival: Start of Early Bird Data Collection and General Updates

Kristina Collins

Apr 25, 2022, 7:51:23 PM4/25/22
to wwv-h_...@googlegroups.com, eclipse-...@googlegroups.com, ham...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all who have signed up to collect data for the Sunrise Festival! Some updates on the event are below.  I will send future updates about the contest to the wwv-h_...@googlegroups.com mailing list only. To sign up, fill out the Google Form on the event page (www.hamsci.org/sunrisefest) and I will add you to the mailing list.

73,
-Kristina KD8OXT

The "Early Bird" data collection period starts in thirty minutes. This is a two-week practice period for setting up data collection and running analysis prior to the main experiment on April 30-May 1. Data recorded during the Early Bird period are worth contest points, but the point value of recordings will be much greater during the main two-day data collection period. The purpose of this part of the contest is to refine our data collection and analysis procedures - and to score points, of course!

The Jupyter notebook we will use for data analysis is available for experimentation, but still a work in progress. You can find the Github page here: https://github.com/KCollins/wwv-h-wg
To try it out, click the "Launch Binder" link in the README portion of the page. Once the Binder has launched (this may take some time), you can open sunrisefest.ipynb and run the example cells.

If you are interested in the Python or digital signal processing side of this campaign, note that useful code and methodology contributions are also worth contest points. Otherwise, you may want to hang on to your data for now until we get a chance to add additional functionality to the Jupyter Notebook, including audio and batch processing, next week.

I will be sending updates over the next two weeks regarding data collection and analysis procedures for the main event, as well as reminder emails for the main data collection period. As noted above, these updates will be sent only to the wwv-h_...@googlegroups.com list.

In the meantime, please send any questions, suggestions, and observations to kd8...@case.edu with [Sunrise Festival] in the subject. These will be incorporated into the procedures and FAQ on the website. 73!

Kristina Collins

Apr 25, 2022, 7:54:01 PM4/25/22
to wwv-h_science
Apologies: Looks like this email was sent late due to an issue with scheduling in Google Groups. Apart from the "in 30 minutes" part - it was supposed to be sent April 15 - everything else should be pretty current.
73,
-KC