Workers' on Wednesday on SAfm 23 SEPTEMBER - CALL CENTRE WORKERS - Young, black, gifted, exploited and unorganised

Lynn Thompson

Sep 22, 2015, 6:01:14 AM9/22/15
to Lynn Thompson

cid:image003.png@01D0A1EA.77C43170cid:image006.jpg@01D0A1EA.77C43170

Tune in to SAfm

For

“Workers on Wednesday”

Wednesday 23 September

At

10.00am
for a discussion on

CALL CENTRE WORKERS

Young, black, gifted,

exploited & unorganised

call 089 110 4207

to join the discussion

http://www.safm.co.za

cid:image004.jpg@01D0F46A.B9227BE0

Due to South Africa’s high unemployment, government and trade unions have been desperate to create jobs. One area of high job growth over the past few years has been call centres, with many foreign companies setting up in South Africa, especially in the major centres of Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban. Today thousands of young black South Africans work at call centres, servicing companies’ clients from all over the world. In today’s show we take a closer look at the situation and conditions of employment of these young workers. We also look at attempts to organise and unionise these workers to enable them to bargain collectively.

 STUDIO GUESTS:

·        CHARLES JACOBS, ORGANISER; CWU

·        JOAN JOHNSON, ORGANISER; CWU

·        CHARLEY LEWIS, SENIOR LECTURER, LINK CENTRE; WITS

Copyright © WORKERS' WORLD MEDIA PRODUCTIONS 2014 All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
Ly...@wwmp.org.za Lynn Thompson

image003.png
image005.jpg