A Song - Chitty Bang Bang

Jonathan

Nov 17, 2008, 3:29:16 PM11/17/08
to World War One Literature
Recently my girlfriends father tasked me with finding information and
the lyrics to a World War One trench song, entitled "Chitty Bang
Bang" (unsure on correct spelling).

I was wondering if anyone would be able to direct me to a website, or
to show me some information relating to this song, i apologise for the
lack of information, as i have been unable to find any on this song.

Margaret Crane

Nov 17, 2008, 7:14:36 PM11/17/08
to ww1...@googlegroups.com
Not a song from the Great War to my knowledge, but from a film of the
nineteen-sixties, based on a book by (rather improbably) Ian Fleming - the
film script was by Roald Dahl. "Chitty Bang Bang" is an old car, which puts
out wings and flies.

Having said that, I suppose it doesn't actually *prove* that there wasn't a
trench song which provided the original phrase - but I suspect this is a
piece of what some people call "cultural appropriation"!
19:58

Christopher

Nov 18, 2008, 1:53:31 PM11/18/08
to World War One Literature
Indeed. I distinctly remember Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as well. CCBB
was the car of the 60s film. It was by no means a pre-1930s vehicle.
Four cars of this type happen to have been purpose-built in 1967 for
the film and kept up easily with the fastest vehicles of the day.
Different Chittys did different duties: one floated out at sea -
mounted, as it was, on a speed boat + remote-controlled. Another one
did actually fly (a hood mounted underneath a helicopter in certain
scenes). Today it might have served as an... all-purpose multi-
tasking flexible war device.
To my knowledge the Chitty CB Bang was no screeching Whizzbang.
Meanwhile, abide with me while I'm trying to pronounce "cultural
appropriation" at one go.

On 18 nov, 01:14, "Margaret Crane" <mmccr...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> Not a song from the Great War to my knowledge, but from a film of the
> nineteen-sixties, based on a book by (rather improbably) Ian Fleming - the
> film script was by Roald Dahl.  "Chitty Bang Bang" is an old car, which puts
> out wings and flies.
>
> Having said that, I suppose it doesn't actually *prove* that there wasn't a
> trench song which provided the original phrase - but I suspect this is a
> piece of what some people call "cultural appropriation"!

Stace

Nov 19, 2008, 2:37:38 PM11/19/08
to World War One Literature

DJ

Nov 20, 2008, 3:05:56 AM11/20/08
to World War One Literature
I am a bit dubious about this.

As ever, the place to look is Brophy and Partridge in its various
editions

They have (p.175);

Hush! Here comes a Whizz -bang
(Air "Hush here Comes the Dream Man"

"Hush! Here comes a Whizz -bang,
Hush! Here comes a Whizz -bang,
Now you soldiers, get down those stairs,
Down in your dug-outs, and say your prayers,
Hush! Here comes a Whizz -bang
And it's making straight for you:
And you'll see all the wonders of No-Man's Land
If a whizz-bang (bump!) hits you.

But no 'Chitty'.

One of the better antholigies with 'bawdy' material is V. De Sola
Pinto & AE Rodway (Eds) The Common Muse.

Pinto was a serving officer in WW1, and 'Chitty' is not included
there. Nor have I seen any reference to it in the various trench
journals or in the occasional references to 'soldier songs that
appeared in various literary journals

There was quite an interest in what the troops were 'actually'
singing, especially from 1916 onwards with conscription in force.

Still the provenance of the phrase, other than as applied to the car
remains an open question.
> http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t47528...
> > > - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -- Hide quoted text -

David Hughes

Nov 20, 2008, 4:45:12 AM11/20/08
to owen sassoon
I believe that de Sola Pinto was actually Sassoon's deputy when SS was a company commander in 1918 - even at the time when SS was last wounded - though it will take time for someone to check this out...
David

> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 00:05:56 -0800
> Subject: Re: A Song - Chitty Bang Bang
> From: DJD...@googlemail.com
> To: ww1...@googlegroups.com

DJ

Nov 20, 2008, 5:42:49 AM11/20/08
to World War One Literature
You are right David

I believe Sassoon's Journal has a piece with his memoir of
Sassoon....

On 20 Nov, 09:45, David Hughes <hafodd...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>

> David> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 00:05:56 -0800> Subject: Re: A Song - Chitty Bang Bang> From: DJDJ...@googlemail.com> To: ww1...@googlegroups.com> > > I am a bit dubious about this.> > As ever, the place to look is Brophy and Partridge in its various> editions> > They have (p.175);> > Hush! Here comes a Whizz -bang> (Air "Hush here Comes the Dream Man"> > "Hush! Here comes a Whizz -bang,> Hush! Here comes a Whizz -bang,> Now you soldiers, get down those stairs,> Down in your dug-outs, and say your prayers,> Hush! Here comes a Whizz -bang> And it's making straight for you:> And you'll see all the wonders of No-Man's Land> If a whizz-bang (bump!) hits you.> > But no 'Chitty'.> > One of the better antholigies with 'bawdy' material is V. De Sola> Pinto & AE Rodway (Eds) The Common Muse.> > Pinto was a serving officer in WW1, and 'Chitty' is not included> there. Nor have I seen any reference to it in the various trench> journals or in the occasional references to 'soldier songs that> appeared in various literary journals> > There was quite an interest in what the troops were 'actually'> singing, especially from 1916 onwards with conscription in force.> > Still the provenance of the phrase, other than as applied to the car> remains an open question.> > On 19 Nov, 19:37, Stace <st...@galnet.dk> wrote:> > You're on the right track. Try these links:> >> > http://www.chittythemusical.co.uk/behindthescenes/realchitty.htm> >> > http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/nov/16/filmnews.maevkennedy> >> > http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t47528...> >> > All a good old bit of bawdy singing fun, apparently.> >> > Stace> >> > On Nov 18, 7:53 pm, Christopher <cspr...@gmail.com> wrote:> >> >> >> > > Indeed. I distinctly remember Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as well. CCBB> > > was the car of the 60s film. It was by no means a pre-1930s vehicle.> > > Four cars of this type happen to have been purpose-built in 1967 for> > > the film and kept up easily with the fastest vehicles of the day.> > > Different Chittys did different duties: one floated out at sea -> > > mounted, as it was, on a speed boat + remote-controlled. Another one> > > did actually fly (a hood mounted underneath a helicopter in certain> > > scenes). Today it might have served as an...  all-purpose multi-> > > tasking flexible war device.> > > To my knowledge the Chitty CB Bang was no screeching Whizzbang.> > > Meanwhile, abide with me while I'm trying to pronounce "cultural> > > appropriation" at one go.> >> > > On 18 nov, 01:14, "Margaret Crane" <mmccr...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:> >> > > > Not a song from the Great War to my knowledge, but from a film of the> > > > nineteen-sixties, based on a book by (rather improbably) Ian Fleming - the> > > > film script was by Roald Dahl.  "Chitty Bang Bang" is an old car, which puts> > > > out wings and flies.> >> > > > Having said that, I suppose it doesn't actually *prove* that there wasn't a> > > > trench song which provided the original phrase - but I suspect this is a> > > > piece of what some people call "cultural appropriation"!> >> > > > ----- Original Message -----> > > > From: "Jonathan" <Symbio...@hotmail.co.uk>> > > > To: "World War One Literature" <ww1...@googlegroups.com>> > > > Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 8:29 PM> > > > Subject: A Song - Chitty Bang Bang> >> > > > > Recently my girlfriends father tasked me with finding information and> > > > > the lyrics to a World War One trench song, entitled "Chitty Bang> > > > > Bang" (unsure on correct spelling).> >> > > > > I was wondering if anyone would be able to direct me to a website, or> > > > > to show me some information relating to this song, i apologise for the> > > > > lack of information, as i have been unable to find any on this song.> >> > > > --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ­-----> >> > > > No virus found in this incoming message.> > > > Checked by AVG -http://www.avg.com> > > > Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.4/1793 - Release Date: 16/11/2008> > > > 19:58- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -> >> > > > - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -- Hide quoted text -> >> > - Show quoted text -> _________________________________________________________________

mmcc...@ukonline.co.uk

Nov 20, 2008, 12:54:52 PM11/20/08
to ww1...@googlegroups.com
Yes - the most recent issue of Siegfried's Journal contains de Sola Pinto's
memoir of Sassoon as company commander. David, would you like a copy?

rebekah...@stonybrook.edu

Apr 24, 2015, 3:24:19 AM4/24/15
to ww1...@googlegroups.com
OK so I can't find the song, but I did find out a few things about the link to a WWI song and the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. The original creator of the "chitty cars," Zbrowski, was a race car inventor. When he first took the car to race he tried to list it as a Cascara Sagrada. However race track officials told him the name wasn't catchy enough and wouldn't allow him to register. Zborowski was inspired by a WW1 song (presumably about the rowdy time a soldier has thanks to his "chit" or the slip of paper a solider got when he was off duty) to name his car either "chitty bang bang" or "chity chitty bang bang." The names are thought to have a sexual connotation. So either the racing officials knew the name was meant to be cleverly raunchy or Zborowski decided to make a little joke of the situation. Ian Flemming was influenced by those cars when writing the book Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.