Polish poetry

HurricaneAlly

Sep 24, 2013, 8:49:24 AM9/24/13
to ww1...@googlegroups.com

Dear all,

At the First World War Poetry Digital Archive we are working with a British schools poetry project (whose figurehead is the former poet laureate Andrew Motion).

We are researching online resources from the First World War Poetry Digital Archive, Europeana 1914-1918 and other sources, which can be presented online for school teachers to use. As there is a growing Polish population in British schools, we are trying to discover if there are war poets or poems from the First World War which are recognised as "Polish", using the quote marks because until the end of the war Poland didn't regain its independence. Formerly the territory was part of the Prussian, Russian and Austrian empires. I'm aware of Nikolay Gumilev, but not really any of his works, is he regarded as a Polish writer?

Many thanks for all pointers, Ally

// Europeana 1914-1918 www.europeana1914-1918.eu/ | RunCoCo: How to Run a Community Collection Online http://runcoco.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ | The Great War Archive www.thegreatwararchive.com/

DJ

Sep 29, 2013, 8:07:24 PM9/29/13
to ww1...@googlegroups.com
Buelens gives a poem from Edward Slonski  Ta, co nie zginela pp. 83-5

Meg Crane

Oct 3, 2013, 1:50:56 PM10/3/13
to ww1...@googlegroups.com
A message from my Polish friend, Barbara Herchenreder, which amplifies DJ's message:

"The poet mentioned in the circular - Nikolay Gumilov - was a Russian and did not have anything to do with Poland. The 'Young Poland' movement started in the late1890s - and petered out approx. 1910. After which there was little Polish poetic creativity.

I have just spoken to my cousin  [a professor of literature - I will find out his name: Meg] and he confirmed what I said about the lack of 'Polish' poets at this time, and in the popular (English) WWI genre.

He did come up with one name and this I think would be a very valid position in any study material. The name is Edward Słoński (1872-1926). By education a dentist - some say the best poet among dentists and the best dentist among poets! However, he did write one particular poem which has become legendary and would well express the nature of the Polish political/social situation during the Great War. It is entitled 'Ta co nie zginęła' [The one that wasn't lost/didn't die] - an allusion to the Polish national anthem 'Jeszcze Polska nie zginęła póki my żyjemy...' [Poland is not yet lost whilst we do live].

Poland was, of course partitioned between Prussia, Austria and Russia between the late 18th century and 1918. Poles therefore served in all three armies during the Great War which was frequently a difficult situation as Pole faced Pole in battle. And this is what the poem is about. So, while not pacifist, it speaks of the pain of being on opposite sides and waiting to be shot by your brother Pole. Very patriotic - typical of the general desire for an independent Poland. In early 1915, Słoński joined a Polish formation - the 'Legions' - and wrote several patriotic poems connected with the Legions, he also went on to write books for children and young people.

The Legions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Legions_in_World_War_I) mostly comprised soldiers who had left their Prussian/Russian/Austrian units to join up and fight for Polish independence. After the Great War he gave up dentistry in favour of writing but his poetry is not considered to be of particular value - except for the above-mentioned poem. I will do a blank verse translation of it for you as soon as I have a moment. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an English language mention of him on the internet - the Wikipedia entry has not been translated. Again, as soon as I have a moment I'll try to summarise that.

Nice idea to have a Polish reference in the teaching aids*:) happy. "

Meg Crane

Oct 3, 2013, 4:07:14 PM10/3/13
to ww1...@googlegroups.com
My indirect source of information is Professor Piotr Mitzner of the Cardinal Wyszyński University in Warsaw.

HurricaneAlly

Oct 11, 2013, 6:46:08 AM10/11/13
to ww1...@googlegroups.com
Dear all, many thanks for all the comments about Polish poetry of the First World War. We are now researching many authors and poems. It's incredible how generous everyone has been offering advice - it shows that you can display some ignorance in a field for a good cause! With best wishes, Ally