re: Non-British poets

Dhruti Shah

Sep 18, 2013, 7:31:10 AM9/18/13
to ww1...@googlegroups.com
Hello

My name is Dhruti Shah and I'm a journalist working for the BBC. I'm currently embarking on some research around two subject areas:

1. Female WWI poets
2. Poets from everywhere bar the UK.

I just need four or five outstanding examples for each.

Any tips and recommendations on either subject are welcomed.

I'm currently working for BBC Knowledge & Learning as we prepare for the centenary of the Great War. More information here:

Thanks

Dhruti Shah

Meg Crane

Sep 24, 2013, 2:47:30 PM9/24/13
to ww1...@googlegroups.com
Your starting point ought to be the anthology Scars Upon my Heart by Catherine Reilly - some thirty years old now, but still the definitive collection of women poets of the Great War. Then there is the Oxford war poetry site: http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/education/tutorials/intro/women - and you can find some other sites on women poets by Googling. Most of them, however, use Catherine Reilly as their starting point.

You should also try to find the book Women's Poetry of the First World War by Nosheen Khan - again, dating from the 1980s, but helpful and informative.

For European poets of the Great War, look in the first place at Tim Cross: The Lost Voices of World War One. For Commonwealth poets, you might try getting in touch with Dr Santanu Das at King's College, London.

I hope this is helpful.

DJ

Sep 29, 2013, 6:23:51 PM9/29/13
to ww1...@googlegroups.com

The best starting point for non-British Poets is Gert Buelens
Het lijf in slijk geplaant, Brussels, 2008

Ian Higgins (Ed) Anthology of First World War French Poetry, Glaschu, 1996 is useful

M W Van Wienen(Ed) , Rendezvous With Death, Illinois, 2002, deals with the US,for which A E Cornebise (Ed) Doughboy Doggerel, Ohio, 1985. is also useful

Cornebise is the only volume without a useful bibliography

Meg Crane

Sep 30, 2013, 4:46:55 AM9/30/13
to ww1...@googlegroups.com
Hello, DJ, you've surfaced again! The Siegfried Sassoon Fellowship were wondering what had become of you ....