SIERRA SLATE - Calendars, Pancakes, and More!

WVU Sierra Student Coalition

Mar 21, 2023, 8:48:56 AM3/21/23
to wvu...@googlegroups.com

THE SIERRA SLATE

March 21, 2023

image.png

Beech Fork State Park, Wayne County, WV

Howdy, folks! I hope your Spring Break has gone fantastically so far! I am currently in the middle of nowhere near Huntington, WV and without cell service. Located nearby me is Beech Fork State Park, which is a manmade reservoir. Although I have personal reservations about man made features such as this one, they provide an excellent opportunity to go outside and enjoy the crisp spring air, the cool natural waters, and the beautiful scenery that our state has to offer!

NEWS

It seems like too often, environmental news is all bad and that our work is just screaming to the heavens above for something to change without any actions happening (looking at you Willow - more details will come later). HOWEVER, I have some great news to report!

Last email, we mentioned how a bill was passing through the halls of the WV Legislature to regulate the release, use, and removal of PFAs from our water supplies and streams. PFAs are harmful chemicals that are released by chemical manufacturers, namely in the making of Teflon coatings. They are known to produce horrible health effects on humans and wildlife, and do not leave your body. (See Dark Waters for an excellent movie on this)

The bill passed with resounding success! It was partially efforts done on campus that helped get this bill through. As a result, our streams will be cleaner, and, in spite of WV's stance on environmentalism being tough, progress can still be made to ensure a happier and healthier place for all living beings that are here.

image.png

ACTIONS

CALENDAR

image.png

For the longest time, we have been guilty of talking about events 24 hours or less before they happened. We decided that the best way to prevent this from occurring again is a Sierra Student Coalition Google Calendar! There are several events that are on here for the next few months, with a bunch more waiting to be placed once we hear from some on- and off-campus partners. Sign up automatically with the button below! You'll still get information through the emails just as before.

PANCAKE DINNER

image.png

We had excellent turnout at the last pancake dinner we held a few weeks ago! As a result, I want to hold another one. How about on Monday, March 27th at 5:30pm at the IHOP on Evansdale's campus? Last time, we got to see Dr. Kotcon (faculty advisor and WV Sierra Club president) square dancing live! Come out for some nice warm/cold food and talk with friends. :)

EARTH DAY PLANNING

a20700da-3d10-444f-acdf-31389ef98b00-LRU1Brd_04-22-2018_SunNews_1_A007__2018_04_21_IMG_636599327551293404_E_1_1_R6LORMNO_L1213688639_IMG_636599327551293404_E_1_1_R6LORMNO.jpg

Earth Day is almost a month away! Now is an excellent time to help us plan for our big Earth Day on the Green bash! We are holding a planning meeting on Thursday, March 23rd at 6:30pm on Zoom (with in-person available at the Evansdale library). We are hoping to have several other environmental groups on campus on this call as well, so if you want to network with some folks, this is the meeting for you. Sign up with the link below, folks!