CHARLESTON TRIP, EARTH DAY, AND MORE!

WVU Sierra Student Coalition

Feb 21, 2023, 4:50:46 PM2/21/23
to wvu...@googlegroups.com

THE SIERRA SLATE

FEBRUARY 21, 2023

2014_Dec_1.jpg

Audra State Park in Barbour County, WV

Howdy, folks! Welcome to the new newsletter of the WVU Student Sierra Coalition, the Sierra Slate! It's been a long time coming, and it's not completely perfect, but I'm so ready and happy to share this thing to y'all! Enjoy :)

NEWS

In case your head has been in the sand the last few days, there was a massive train derailment in East Palestine, OH... which is 100 miles northwest of us in Morgantown. It released tons of toxic vinyl chloride which was subsequently burnt to produce even more toxic chemicals. So far, thousands of animals have died as a result of this tragedy, pollutants have leached into the air, soil and water (including the Ohio River!) of the region. Truth be told, we don't know how great of an impact this will produce when things are said and done.

It's tragedies like this one that show how we are important as environmental activists. WE will be the driving force behind not letting this happen again.

ap23037819094368_custom-f6e4fe1d2bab51ae8187e5efc61e4d3742605876-s1100-c50.jpg

ACTIONS

WV E-DAY

mobile_banner.jpg

Are you interested in talking to folks about what the environment means to you? Join us February 28th at the WV Capitol for E-Day! We'll be meeting with other cool eco-nerds from around the state to talk to our legislators on the next steps. Carpooling and academic excuses are available! Sign up on the button below.

EARTH DAY

istockphoto-1211661385-612x612.jpg

Earth Day is coming up! We are going to be holding our big bash, Earth Day on the Green on April 20th (nice) at the Lair Green from 4pm to 8pm! We are looking for folks to help plan this out to make it as fun as it can be. If you're interested, see the button below to sign up!

BREAK FREE FROM PLASTICS

MON_LOCK_AND_DAM_2_32621_RR_2857625.jpg

This is a picture from the Monongahela River (courtesy of the river monster!) showing all the single-use plastic and junk in the stream. Not good! Sign this petition to help get rid of this junk! There has been fantastic progress going through the SGA, but the more voices that we have, the more impact we have.