Sierra Slate - PANCAKES AND PARTIES

WVU Sierra Student Coalition

Mar 7, 2023, 8:47:30 AM3/7/23
to wvu...@googlegroups.com

THE SIERRA SLATE

March 7, 2023

82b961c7-c332-4946-9e3a-7e83091d5498.jpg

Bluehole on the Cheat River in Preston County, WV

Howdy, folks! Welcome to this second edition of the Sierra Slate! This here is a picture of my favorite place in the whole: Bluehole near the Jenkinsburg Bridge in rural West Virginia. Beautiful places such as this one are the reason why we exist: we want to make sure that our prosperity is able to experience the same wonders as we are. As always, thank you so much for taking your time to read this. Each email sent takes up to four grams of CO2 to send off. By reading this, you make that four grams worth every ounce :)

NEWS

A few days was E-Day at the Capitol! A bunch of political organizers, lobbyists, and environmental activists (including yours truly) spent their Tuesday making sure that their voices were heard in the halls of our Capitol Building. Several notable things are going through our government RIGHT NOW including...

Community Solar: Putting electricity back in the hands of the people and making it green on top of it!

PFAS: So-called forever chemicals have been leaching into West Virginia's waterways that have caused a wide array of health effects. We are hoping for the government to take more action on preventing this tragedy from occurring again.

Nuclear Waste: A bill is currently in the House proposing that West Virginia serves as a dumping ground for toxic nuclear waste. Oof.

We made progress on all of these bills while in Charleston! The question is whether they will go in our favor or not... time will only tell. Here's the local news talking about us.

30bb6104-2393-428d-9bd1-e633803e52ef.jpg

ACTIONS

PANCAKE DINNER

fae463ad-3bbe-480b-bf48-d6070ab8cdf4.jpg

What are you doing on Wednesday, March 8th at 5:30pm? If the answer is no like me, you are invited to come out to IHOP on Evansdale to enjoy some pancakes for dinner with us! You get to interact with a wide variety of folks around campus that care about the environment all while getting some nice warm (or cold) food in your tummy. Yum! Click below to reserve, but feel free to walk in unannounced with some friends.

EARTH DAY PLANNING

4a641567-66bb-4883-b5e4-45a655de1367.jpg

Earth Day is getting closer and closer every single day! Now is the time to plan for our big Earth Day on the Green bash! We are holding a planning meeting on Thursday, March 9th at 6:30pm on Zoom (with in-person available at the Evansdale library). We would love to have you help us make this year's Earth Day the grandest possible for everyone's Mother Earth! Click below to signup.