wvdial on arm le platforms

Anand Sivaram

Mar 12, 2010, 11:26:11 PM3/12/10
to wvstrea...@googlegroups.com
Greetings all,

I am using a Huawei EC1260 based broadband usb modem on an ARM LE system.  This works like a charm on my amd64 ubuntu laptop.  I used the same configurations on the arm system.  While trying to use wvdial I am getting
getcontext() assert error from WvTaskMan::WvTaskMan().  From the net, many people are saying that
it is because getcontext(), setcontext() etc. are not implemented properly on ARM LE glibc.
Is there any solution to this problem.

Thanks and Regards

Anand

Avery Pennarun

Mar 16, 2010, 7:47:18 PM3/16/10
to Anand Sivaram, wvstrea...@googlegroups.com

Please try checking out the 'revert-wvtask' branch from
github.com/apenwarr/wvstreams and tell us if it fixes your problem.

Thanks,

Avery

Anand Sivaram

Mar 17, 2010, 10:10:58 PM3/17/10
to Avery Pennarun, wvstrea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Avery......
I will try that will tell you.

Anand Sivaram

Mar 19, 2010, 11:51:07 AM3/19/10
to Avery Pennarun, wvstrea...@googlegroups.com
Hello Avery,

I started trying what you suggested.  But at the end, with the new wvstreams, I could not compile wvdial yet.  I am still trying to get it compiled.  Mean while I thought that, I could let you know the problems I faced.

Just to give you an idea, I am working on an ARM-LE based TI Davinci Linux solution, cross compiling from Debian/Ubuntu.  Because of that I am using a prefix, then one of our main scripts would install all
required software applications including wvdial to the target filesystem.

1. WvStreams
------------

I could compile it finally, but with the following changes.
./configure --prefix=$(INSTROOT) --host=arm-linux \
--without-dbus --without-valgrind --disable-testgui
make && make install
This gave problem during installation, which I fixed
in wvstream/install.mk
This was the main problems I found.
* install.mk was called from "obj" directory, but the directory bj/include and obj/include/xplc did not have the required header files, so the wildcard rule for header files were failing.
* Since the installation makefile was called from "obj" directory, it was not able to get unconf.conf, wvtestrun, wvstream.supp etc. I had to include $(WVSTREAMS) in front of them.
I am attaching a patch of install.mk with this mail.

2. WvDial
---------
I am getting the following compilation error.  I am still analyzing how I could work around that.

* Compilation Error:
make -C _build/wvdial-1.61
make[1]: Entering directory `/u/stork/external-components/wvdial/_build/wvdial-1.61'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `CC', needed by `all'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/u/stork/external-components/wvdial/_build/wvdial-1.61'
make: *** [wvdial] Error 2

* This is the updated wvdial-1.61/Makefile
WVPACKAGE_NAME=wvdial
WVPACKAGE_STRING=wvdial 1.61
WVPACKAGE_TARNAME=wvdial
WVPACKAGE_VERSION=1.61

export CC=arm-linux-gcc
export CXX=arm-linux-g++
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/u/stork/toolchains/arm-linux/usr/lib/pkgconfig
prefix=/u/stork/external-components/wvdial/_build/products/
WVSTREAMS_INC=/u/stork/toolchains/arm-linux/usr/include/wvstreams/
WVSTREAMS_LIB=/u/stork/toolchains/arm-linux/usr/lib
WVSTREAMS_BIN=$(prefix)/bin
WVSTREAMS_SRC=/u/stork/external-components/wvdial/_build/wvstreams-4.7/

* With wvstreams-4.6.1, I did not get the error.  But I modified our makefile and wvdial makefile as given below.
/u/stork/external-components/wvdial/Makefile:
(our wvdial wrapper makefile with wvstreams-4.6)
export CC=arm-linux-gcc
export CXX=arm-linux-g++
export CPPFLAGS=-I$(TOOLCHAIN_USR_INSTALL)/include
export LDFLAGS=-L$(TOOLCHAIN_USR_INSTALL)/lib
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$(TOOLCHAIN_USR_INSTALL)/lib/pkgconfig
export WVSTREAMS_INC=$(TOOLCHAIN_USR_INSTALL)/include
export WVSTREAMS_LIB=$(TOOLCHAIN_USR_INSTALL)/lib
export WVSTREAMS_SRC=$(PWD)/$(TDIR)
export WVSTREAMS=$(PWD)/$(TDIR)

wvdial-1.61/Makefile: (with wvstreams-4.6)
Commented out WVSTREAMS_INC, WVSTREAMS_LIB, WVSTREAMS_SRC so that
it takes the one exported from our Makefile.

I am trying to find a work around for this, but if you know some easy method please do let me know.

Thanks and Regards

Anand

install.mk.patch