USB modem drivers

thetao

Sep 16, 2010, 2:29:03 PM9/16/10
to wvstreams-devel
Hi,

This isn't strictly a WVDial question, but in light of blog articles
like http://rubbernecking.info/2008/07/mobile-warrior-using-your-cellphone-to.html,
I thought this would be a good place to ask. I will be buying a Nokia
Symbian phone shortly (an E73) and am looking for more information on
the USB modem driver that Linux uses when the phone is connected in
"PC Suite" mode, per the article. Can anyone tell me how proprietary/
non-proprietary this driver is?

The reason I ask is that in order to support a variety of OS's over a
T-Mobile 3G connection, I want to connect the phone to my network in
an OS agnostic way. Preferably, I want to connect the phone to a
wired router, and then connect the computers to the router with
Ethernet. (A combo wired/WiFi router would be a bonus.) I just
talked to tech support at http://www.cradlepoint.com, who say their
routers don't support Symbian, but as I know nothing about the driver
requirements, really don't know what kind of router I'm looking for
(or if a DD-WRT-based firmware might be my solution).

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Todd

Todd Oberly

Sep 23, 2010, 2:18:55 PM9/23/10
to wvstreams-devel
Replying to my own question...

The ACM USB modem driver (cdc-acm.c) is GPL and distributed with the
Linux kernel source. I think Apple may have also ported it to OSX.
As it works with Linux, it was incorporated into the DD-WRT router
firmware a couple years ago, and that is that path I shall be
taking, :)