Cleaning the WvStreams attic

Avery Pennarun

Mar 4, 2010, 5:21:09 PM3/4/10
to wvstrea...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

In case anyone cares, I just spent some time (probably much more time
than I should have) cleaning out the old tags in the WvStreams git
repository. Most of them were just crud inherited from the svn import
a while back.

Unfortunately, not *all* of them were crud. Because svn (and cvs
before that) don't do merge tracking, a lot of the commits in the
WvStreams 'master' branch are huge monstrosities that just say "merged
a bunch of stuff from some branch." We still have said branch, with
all its individual commits, in a tag somewhere, but they aren't linked
into the main history.

To deal with this, I first pruned out the totally useless tags and
branches (ones that basically had no content other than "merged from
some other branch" or patches that never reached the mainline) and
combined all those into an old-svn-history tag:

http://github.com/apenwarr/wvstreams/commits/old-svn-history

Then I renamed a bunch of the branches that corresponded (roughly) to
old releases of Weaver and/or WvStreams, and renamed them to wv/r#.##
or wvstreams-#.##, respectively.

Thankfully, almost all our CVS branches used to be created from the
cvs HEAD, rather than from other branches, so history is roughly
linear, and looking at the history of all the branches at once (git
log --all) sort of gives you the main idea of what happened when.

In any case, if you've got a clone of the wvstreams repository, you
might want to take a new copy to get rid of the cluttered old tags.
git never deletes tags by default, so there's no other easy way to do
it. (You could also delete all your tags locally and re-fetch.)

Have fun,

Avery