Updated board?

Andrew Nolan

Jul 20, 2023, 8:17:31 PM7/20/23
to WVR Audio
Are there any plans to update the current board? For example, include a small audio amplifier with pads for an 3.5mm output socket, volume control pads; break out more touch sensor inputs, include USB connectivity as standard, a jumper for 3.3 or 5V midi input..

Andrew Nolan

Jul 20, 2023, 8:28:11 PM7/20/23
to WVR Audio
and lipo battery and power management

WVR Audio

Jul 20, 2023, 8:46:08 PM7/20/23
to WVR Audio
Those would all be great. There are always hard decisions to be made designing dev boards, and I chose to limit the physical size, the parts cost, and the power consumption with the features that are currently present. I do have a motherboard called the WVR Makers Board, that I offered during the kickstarter funding round, and I have a few dozen left over if you would like to email me I can provide details and would be happy to sell one at the kickstarter price. It has an amp, jacks, etc.

There is a new version planned with an upgrade to ESP32-S3, and with the most recent arduino-esp version all the features needed are ready to go, so that can actually start unfolding soon.

Note that the pins can be used to control volume. It is one of the options in the PINS menu of the WEB UI.

Audio amplifiers are so specific to the need, and so many modules are readily available.
Output socket (and other jacks) are likewise so specific, and take up a ton of space.
More touch pins would require a cap sense IC, as all the available touch capable pins are already broken out.
USB connectivity on ESP32 requires a large ttl IC, and uses 2 pins (rx and tx). The S3 has native USB so WVR2 will have USB capabilities (midi host and device, serial, and DFU bootloader very likely).
I did a deep dive on MIDI 3.3 vs 5v standards, and the 2 standards should be compatible. No changes on the host are (in theory) needed for this. WVR *should* work with 3.3v devices but I do not know for sure.
Lipo and battery management is a great idea, and I will consider that for WVR2, even though it does consume a fair bit of space for all the components. Keeping WVR as small as possible was a huge priority. I already feel like it is too big sometimes.