Internal logic

Andrew Nolan

May 17, 2023, 8:31:15 PM5/17/23
to WVR Audio
I  want to trigger notes based on combinations of pin inputs. This is a flute project where the output of 7 capacitive touch sensors plus an analogue breath sensor determine the note + octave to sound. The output would be audio by earphones. My question is whether this WVR board has enough I/O pins to do it, and whether there is any capacity for logic operations on the inputs beyond basic triggering? If not, can the board be controlled by another board?

WVR Audio

May 18, 2023, 11:50:49 AM5/18/23
to WVR Audio
Hey!
WVR only has 4 capacitive touch capable pins, so you would need an external cap-touch IC, or another mcu with cap-touch capabilities to get 7.
WVR has 14 pins, so depending on how the breath sensor and cap-touch sensors send data, it seems like it would probably be enough, although I'd need more information to say for certain.
The logic to trigger notes according to pin combinations would certainly be possible, but would require a custom firmware, which could be written in Arduino. I'd be happy to support you in that if you are comfortable writing Arduino code.

The easiest way to use WVR is simply to control it with another board, as you suggested, by sending MIDI commands. Here is a link to the most popular library to create and send MIDI messages: https://github.com/FortySevenEffects/arduino_midi_library. If you are unfamiliar with MIDI, it can be a little confusing at first, but is really worth the effort to get your head around, it is perfect for working with music, and it's what WVR was designed for.

You would just connect +5v and the TX from the microcontroller to MIDI 5V and MIDI IN on the WVR (do not connect ground). Those pins highlighted in light-blue in the bottom right side of this pinout diagram https://github.com/marchingband/wvr

WVR Audio

May 18, 2023, 2:25:05 PM5/18/23
to WVR Audio
I have updated the WVR docs with a wiring diagram for MIDI control from another MCU.