How do I install wview on a new Ubuntu version?

jfiddler

Dec 27, 2017, 12:26:33 AM12/27/17
to wview
My old computer died.  I just put a new one together, running Ubuntu Artful Aardvark.  Wview seems to only have repositories through saucy.  I had always installed wview via the repository, but I'm not sure how to do it now.  Any advice?

BTW, is there any active wview development going on any more?

Thanks for any help with this!

Jim Bradbury

Dec 27, 2017, 2:14:37 AM12/27/17
to wv...@googlegroups.com
When my Debian PC died, I switched to Ubuntu Artful Aardvark and also switched from wview to weewx because it is supported and uses the archive.sdb from wview which I had backed up.

-= Jim =-

jfiddler

Dec 27, 2017, 1:10:17 PM12/27/17
to wview
I may switch over to weewx, but for reasons of hardware / layout that's not entirely straightforward.  So. I'd like to get wview back up, at least as an interim solution.  Is there any alternative no to building it completely from scratch?

In the hope that the most reason code archive would work, I tried adding lines to sources.list, in two different formats:

deb http://www.wviewweather.com/apt/saucy artful main
deb
-src http://www.wviewweather.com/apt/saucy artful main

and also

deb http://www.wviewweather.com/apt/saucy artful main
deb
-src http://www.wviewweather.com/apt/saucy artful main

but in neither case can apt-get find them.  Is there any way to do this?

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 11:26 PM, 'jfiddler' via wview <wv...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
My old computer died.  I just put a new one together, running Ubuntu Artful Aardvark.  Wview seems to only have repositories through saucy.  I had always installed wview via the repository, but I'm not sure how to do it now.  Any advice?

BTW, is there any active wview development going on any more?

Thanks for any help with this!

-= Jim =-

jfiddler

Dec 28, 2017, 2:09:20 PM12/28/17
to wview
I've decided, after almost 15 years of view, to switch over to weewx.  Turns out it was easier to switch than to get wview going again on a new computer.  Thanks, Mark, for all the work and help over the years.  It's been fun and rewarding, but time to move on from a seemingly unsupported project.