weewx

Graham Eddy

Nov 17, 2017, 12:37:11 AM11/17/17
to wview Google Group
as an experiment to test ease of migration, i installed weewx, copied my wview-archive.sdb to weewx.sdb and ran it.
looks like old wview values might upset weewx...

pebble:weewx $ ./bin/weewxd weewx.conf
Traceback (most recent call last):e: 2009-08-07 14:30:00 AEST (1249619400)
  File "./bin/weewxd", line 64, in <module>
    weewx.engine.main(options, args)
  File "/Users/Shared/weewx/bin/weewx/engine.py", line 865, in main
    engine = engine_class(config_dict)
  File "/Users/Shared/weewx/bin/weewx/engine.py", line 77, in __init__
    self.loadServices(config_dict)
  File "/Users/Shared/weewx/bin/weewx/engine.py", line 141, in loadServices
    self.service_obj.append(weeutil.weeutil._get_object(svc)(self, config_dict))
  File "/Users/Shared/weewx/bin/weewx/engine.py", line 491, in __init__
    self.setup_database(config_dict)
  File "/Users/Shared/weewx/bin/weewx/engine.py", line 604, in setup_database
    _nrecs, _ndays = dbmanager.backfill_day_summary() # @UnusedVariable
  File "/Users/Shared/weewx/bin/weewx/manager.py", line 1437, in backfill_day_summary
    day_accum.addRecord(rec, weight=weight)
  File "/Users/Shared/weewx/bin/weewx/accum.py", line 242, in addRecord
    func(self, record, obs_type, add_hilo, weight)
  File "/Users/Shared/weewx/bin/weewx/accum.py", line 301, in add_value
    self[obs_type].addSum(val, weight=weight)
  File "/Users/Shared/weewx/bin/weewx/accum.py", line 88, in addSum
    self.sum     += val
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +=: 'float' and 'unicode'
____________
Graham Eddy

Chris Alemany

Nov 17, 2017, 11:09:12 AM11/17/17
to wv...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for looking into this.  I am also considering the switch as there appear to be a few compatibility issues cropping up in wview as other software is updated.

Jeff

Nov 17, 2017, 11:52:55 AM11/17/17
to wview

Graham - I like this idea.   It looks like support for wview is gone.  Please keep us posted, and I may attempt the same.

Jeff

Chris Alemany

Nov 17, 2017, 12:25:01 PM11/17/17
to wv...@googlegroups.com
One thing that seems to be missing from weewx currently is support for a serial-server.  Perhaps I am the only person in the world who actually used this feature in wview though, I don’t know. :+). But I do hope a reasonable workaround is out there.

Cheers,
Chris

On Nov 17, 2017, at 8:52 AM, Jeff <blu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Graham - I like this idea.   It looks like support for wview is gone.  Please keep us posted, and I may attempt the same.

Jeff

Alan Jackson

Nov 17, 2017, 7:36:09 PM11/17/17
to wv...@googlegroups.com
Have the weewx folks fixed/avoided the usb port failure problem?

--

| Alan K. Jackson            | To see a World in a Grain of Sand      |
al...@ajackson.org          | And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,         |

mongoose

Dec 6, 2017, 9:01:30 AM12/6/17
to wview
Chris - I have been watching this thread with interest.  By serial-server do you mean a terminal-server?  i.e. serial to ethernet bridge?  If so, there are two of us out there :)

It may be time for me to start looking at this too.

--Joe

Chris Alemany

Dec 6, 2017, 11:18:15 AM12/6/17
to wv...@googlegroups.com
That I don’t know.

I am using a serial server, which ended up working just fine in WeeWX… it just wasn’t obvious from the outset that it was supported, but it is there.

Chris Alemany

Dec 6, 2017, 11:19:43 AM12/6/17
to wv...@googlegroups.com
Yes, to be clear, I am using the GW21E Serial Server as outlined in the wview Manual.  It has served me very well, and it now continues to without any change needed under weewx.

Cheers,
Chris

mongoose

Dec 6, 2017, 11:36:56 AM12/6/17
to wview
Chris,

Interesting.  Thanks.  I was using one from lantronix for many years until it died.  I am now using one from Moxa (I use many of them at work) and it operates very well.  Since this topology works "out of the box" with weewx then it is time for me to stand a separate server and proto this.

Thanks for doing the leg work on this one as I too could not see from the weewx doc that this was supported.

It does cause me pain to consider this as WView has served me incredibly well for over 10 years.  WView ran on Unix at a time when all you could find were Windows based products.  Its stability is a testament to Mark.  I do hope all is well with him.

If you have any other tips to share about your migration, I am all ears.

Thanks again.

--Joe

Chris Alemany

Dec 6, 2017, 11:48:21 AM12/6/17
to wv...@googlegroups.com
Joe,

No problem.  Yes, just look for the IP address options when you are doing your initial configuration of the weewx service and it will all work much like it does with wview.

Weewx is a big change in terms of architecture, the python structure really does allow for a huge amount of simple, though not non-trivial, customization.  There are some gaps in terms of direct compatibility with what wview allowed me to do (like spit out a complete list of all parameters into a file) without much work.  But it’s just a learning curve and I can see a much brighter future with weewx.

I too appreciate wview’s yeoman service.  It served me for 12 years, on multiple platforms, really without fail.  It is an extremely robust system.  I had my differences with Mark over time, but always respected the quality he demanded of his product.  I hope he is well, and he should be proud of his contribution to the global amateur weather scene.

Cheers,
Chris

Jim Bradbury

Dec 6, 2017, 1:00:23 PM12/6/17
to wv...@googlegroups.com
Chris, et al,

I second your comments about the quality of Mark's work and his contribution.
I just switched from wview to weewx when my system hardware main board crashed a little over a month ago. Chris, if you get some code to work to write a parameters.txt file, I'd appreciate a copy. I have scripts that I wrote using that file on my wview platform that I can't use now.  I'm also having problems getting php to work in weewx. I don't know if I have a bad php configuration or if the python pre-processing of the web page is messing with php, but the php that worked in wview doesn't work for me now in weewx.

-= Jim =-

jfiddler

Dec 28, 2017, 1:21:30 PM12/28/17
to wview
Serial servers (as in a socket connection from the computer running weewx to a serial-ethernet converter) is supported, though not well documented.  I'm using an original VantagePro, with the console connected to a lantronix serial-ethernet converter, and it works fine. Check out the weewx user group forum for details.

Also, I think that import of your full wview db is still supported, though I had a bit of trouble with mine of about 15 years.  I think I'll get it across when I have a couple hours to figure out what the prob is.

Tom Keffer

Jan 18, 2018, 8:27:15 AM1/18/18
to wview
Graham,

I just saw this message (I don't check the wview group very often these days).

This problem is usually caused by editing the sqlite database with a visual editor, then deleting a datum. Rather than inserting a NULL value, the editor inserts a null string. Hence the type incompatibility. It's basically a schema problem: a string has been inserted where a number was expected.

Fortunately, it's easily fixed using the weeWX utility wee_database with the --check-strings and --fix-strings options.

I concur about Mark's efforts. He is a pioneer. Long before IoT became a household abbreviation, he made it easy to put your station on the web.

-tk

Graham Eddy

Jan 18, 2018, 8:58:07 AM1/18/18
to wview Google Group
thanks, i shall investigate. i do vaguely recall using sqlitebrowser 7-8 years ago to fix something in the database

mark teel is a hero for open weather station software. it is the IBM OS/360 equivalent - 24/7 reliable, bullet proof, scarey to fiddle under the hood.
everything else at the time was shallow, closed, for-sale, windoze-based, fragile stuff (*ahem* i was using VWS on windoze with custom power supplies until 2005 - that was as good as windoze platform permitted)

weewx is the next generation of wview. it even uses same database schema.
the extensible architecture reflects a lot of learnings since wview was created. (i have a lot of customisations to re-implement…)
weewx is much slower, uses a lot more memory, but hardware performance has increased dramatically since wview introduction
and easy flexibility is a much bigger factor now, with the new hardware making that feasible

i might not have looked closely enough to see it, but i would like to see mark teel included in the copyrights for weewx
____________
Graham Eddy

mongoose

Jan 19, 2018, 12:35:41 PM1/19/18
to wview
Graham,

  I can confirm that on my dev instance of weewx, I was able to import my wview database cleanly without any errors by just coping the database over.  weewx took about 4min to generate monthly and yearly archive reports from the data.  My database goes back to Feb 2006 so there is a good amount of data there.

  I have played with a few of the skins and I kind of like what I see.  Steel Series is there and looks pretty good.  I need to get over to that group and post a question concerning CPU load when running the real time gauge extension.  But other than that it seems to run well.  I also like a skin called exfoliation.

  I love to see that you describe "windoze" properly  :)

  I breaks my heart to consider leaving view behind.  12 years of reliable service.  Thank you again Mark.  With OS vulnerabilities requiring frequent patching, it is harder to keep wview running, still I just cannot seem to pull the trigger and go live....

--Joe

Jeff

Jan 21, 2018, 8:44:58 AM1/21/18
to wview
I can also confirm that the database comes over cleanly.   I'm ready to switch, but having trouble with the alarm features of wview.  Any pointers?

Type = DayRain
Upper Bound = Yes
Threshold = .1
Abatement = 86400
Alarm execute = /etc/wview/alarms/dayrain (a shell script)

Graham Eddy

Jan 21, 2018, 9:31:22 AM1/21/18
to wview Google Group
i’m no help as yet.
i am still banging my head against steelseries customisations i require (gauges for other data, some external to vp2) - i’ve been “nearly there” for several days now, river depth gauge still doing odd things...
after which i have to look how to provide the data steelseries needs from weewx. some from extra vp2 sensors, some external to vp2 with separate db.
then i’ll worry about cleaning up my wview db to be compatible with weewx
then my steel skin for all the other graphs, which is a total css and html re-write
and i need more than the 10 alarms wview offered

please note: i have a massive amount of customisations. most people have no customisations necessary, just a tweak of the config. don’t let me put people off who have standard configuratiions!

in the meantime, wview chugs along, reliable as ever...
____________
Graham Eddy

Graham Eddy

Jan 21, 2018, 9:46:26 AM1/21/18
to wview Google Group
note: yes i have been using steelseries gauges for some years on wview, but that was before weewx and wview support, so it was customised to the billy-o from an early base (subsequently rolled into wview as a skin by a kind developer). i am now working from the latest version which supports wview and weewx to re-implement all my old changes for weewx
____________
Graham Eddy

Robert M. Jones

Graham Eddy

Jan 22, 2018, 9:24:43 PM1/22/18
to wview Google Group
steelseries: because i am having to walk through most lines of the code, found three bugs so far, none major (all relating to changing units)
Graham Eddy

Alan Jackson

Feb 2, 2019, 8:02:32 AM2/2/19
to wview
Well, I did the switch. It was quite easy, really. I have documented my experience on http://www.adelieresources.com

The largest task I set myself was cleaning up the database first. I found a few surprises there.