Re: [wview-group] Re: wview vs weewx

Jim Bradbury

Nov 14, 2017, 5:59:52 PM11/14/17
to wv...@googlegroups.com
As long as wview is working, there's no reason to change to weewx. My PC board crashed. Mark Teel is no longer maintaining wview to keep up with OS changes. I tried installing wview on Ubuntu 17.10 using the .deb packages. I had problems. I saw Graham's suggestion to install by compiling the source. Doing that I ran into problem after problem over several days until I finally gave up.

I decided to give weewx a try. After installing weewx with "apt install" I ran weewxd from a console and saw all the data scroll by that was in the Vantage console from the past couple of weeks.  So, weewx just came up working. I have a lot of scripts and Cron jobs that I had written and working with wview that I'll have to tweak to get moved to the weewx web page for my station. But the basic weewx software just works for my weather server.

It's an added bonus that the sqlite database for weewx is the same format as wview. So if I want to merge the historical data from wview, it won't be hard to do. The docs for weewx say when you start off, you can just change  the wview archive.sdb to weewx.sdb and it should work.

Weewx, because it is written in Python, should be a lot easier to move from one OS or platform to another.

Again, if you have wview working, I see no reason to change. Stick with what works.

- Jim -
http://rowlett.ws  < - my weather site

On Nov 14, 2017 5:24 AM, "Graham Eddy" <graha...@gmail.com> wrote:
i would like to hear from people who have compared wview with weewx in production (not just on paper).
i have been tracking weewx for some years but it has not come up to wview so far.
(disclosure: i have lots of customisations to wview, *big* effort to migrate them from C to python.)
the fundamental: how reliable/robust is weewx?

(for those unaware of weewx, it is basically next-gen of wview, which does not necessarily mean it is better.)
at present, i have no plans to migrate from wview
____________
Graham Eddy

On 14 Nov 2017, at 12:10 pm, Jim Bradbury <jbrad...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello, All. I also had a single board PC crash that had been running wview for many years.
After days of trying to compile from scratch - I gave up and have switched to Weewx.
Weewx is about 8K lines of Python code as opposed to the ~64K of "C" code for wview and radlib.
The package for weewx is available for debian and ubuntu - I'm using Ubuntu 17.10.
Whats really great is the database format for wview and weewx ARE THE SAME!
All you have to do rename archive.sdb to weewx.sdb. Yesterday I installed weewx
and got it up and running. I'm now on the way to moving my wview page modifications to
weewx. I'm still working out the kinks, but the move to weewx was not as bad as I
expected.

-= Jim =-

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 5:59 PM, Dave Walker <carol.da...@gmail.com> wrote:
This looks promising! I have a large USB thumb drive (64GB) and I believe the donor HD is only 40GB.
That gives me hope for restoring my very much missed Wview.

Dave W.

On 13 November 2017 at 17:11, Stephen Walsh <vk3...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dave: Clonezilla is your friend. You must clone to the same or larger size drive drive.

ie: 80gb to 80gb, or 80gb to 100gb

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Dave Walker <carol.da...@gmail.com> wrote:
Regarding my recent loss of a HD, I was wondering if anyone has tried (or if it is possible) to clone an operating Wview installation along with the operating system? I have another Wview system on a PC currently running Squeeze, similar to the one that died. Perhaps it is possible to clone that working HD and move the clone over to a spare PC?

Any thoughts on this?

In surveying the alternatives to Wview, I find that I don't like them nearly as much, so I would like to stay with Wview if possible.

Dave W.

On 7 November 2017 at 11:48, robbob2112 <r...@doryweather.org> wrote:
Raspberry PI is a lot cheaper power wise to run than a full blown PC if this is all you are doing on it...

typical PC runs $8~11 a month in power at 11cents/KwH ... the Pi runs about 50 cents a month... (This measured using a Kill-O-Watt meter at 11cents per KwH)

I'm using a Pi3 running Jessy and a spinning WD PiDrive so as to avoid the SD card issues... but there are 20 ways to do it.

On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 2:48:43 PM UTC-7, Dave Walker wrote:
My HD which contained a reliably running version of Wview 5.21.7 using the Debian 6 (i386) OS finally died. I have replaced the HD so now need to recreate the OS so that I can get Wview up and running once again.

It quickly became apparent when I began working on this that since Debian 6 has been retired, and the repositaries are archived, that the re-install would be difficult. I was trying to work from a net install CD, but of course APT fails since the mirrors formerly used no longer contain the necessary packages.

I quit after a bit and am trying to catch my breath and to consider alternatives.

Any suggestions?

What I have considered is changing the OS to Kbuntu, but I might run in to the same issues. I also might try Weewx, but I would miss the familiar look and feel of Wview which I have been using for many years.

Dave W.

-= Jim =-