Configure root permission in /etc/sudoers to start and stop from wview management.

lecoqacr...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2018, 9:43:42 PM4/25/18
to wview
Was trying to start/stop wview from wviewgmt/system_status.php  but does not respond.
Did a search and found that root permission must be given in /etc/sudoers file, but am unable to find the posting
that states how to do this in detail as stated. Could I get direction for doing this or point me to the posting of instructions.
thank you. Tim

Graham Eddy

Apr 25, 2018, 11:34:50 PM4/25/18
to wview Google Group
to allow the http server run the start/stop script (only) as superuser when the wviewmgmt button is pressed, add line to end of file of form:
_www ALL = NOPASSWD: /opt/local/etc/init.d/wview
where, in my case on a mac:
 * the user owning the http server is _www (www-data on my backup ubuntu server)
 * my start/stop command file is /opt/local/etc/init.d/wview (often /usr/local/etc/init.d/wview on my backup ubuntu server)
cheers

Timothy L

Apr 27, 2018, 9:06:48 AM4/27/18
to wv...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the reply. Wview is installed on a raspberry pi 3 presently. I don't see the /usr/local/etc/init.d file that you speak of. Is it a different file on raspbian Jessie or a different command as well? Thank you

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 10:34 PM, Graham Eddy <graha...@gmail.com> wrote:
to allow the http server run the start/stop script (only) as superuser when the wviewmgmt button is pressed, add line to end of file of form:
_www ALL = NOPASSWD: /opt/local/etc/init.d/wview
where, in my case on a mac:
 * the user owning the http server is _www (www-data on my backup ubuntu server)
 * my start/stop command file is /opt/local/etc/init.d/wview (often /usr/local/etc/init.d/wview on my backup ubuntu server)
cheers
____________
Graham Eddy

On 26 Apr 2018, at 11:43 am, lecoqacr...@gmail.com wrote:

Was trying to start/stop wview from wviewgmt/system_status.php  but does not respond.
Did a search and found that root permission must be given in /etc/sudoers file, but am unable to find the posting
that states how to do this in detail as stated. Could I get direction for doing this or point me to the posting of instructions.
thank you. Tim

Graham Eddy

Apr 27, 2018, 9:11:09 AM4/27/18
to wview Google Group
platform-dependent location. not familiar with pi. could try /etc/init.d/wview.
if not there, just search for the startup file, probaby called wview:
 $ find / -name “wview*” -print

Andrew P

Apr 27, 2018, 7:03:27 PM4/27/18
to wview
I have a Raspberry for my wview installation, and can confirm Graham's hunch that the wview commands are at /etc/init.d/wview

Beware. Don't use leafpad to edit /etc/sudoers!
I've just scrambled my /etc/sudoers by doing so, and now have a bit of a mess to clean up. :-(

On Friday, 27 April 2018 23:06:48 UTC+10, Timothy L wrote:
[...]

Andrew P

Apr 27, 2018, 7:28:59 PM4/27/18
to wview

On Saturday, 28 April 2018 09:03:27 UTC+10, Andrew P wrote:
Beware. Don't use leafpad to edit /etc/sudoers!
I've just scrambled my /etc/sudoers by doing so, and now have a bit of a mess to clean up. :-(

Fixed. Thank you pkexec!
I'm getting too rusty on linux to do this...

Timothy L

Apr 27, 2018, 11:04:57 PM4/27/18
to wv...@googlegroups.com
Thank you and will look into it. Presently out of town so not available to check tonight or this weekend either. Thank you again