Re: [wview-group] Digest for wview@googlegroups.com - 8 updates in 1 topic

Andrew P

May 17, 2020, 6:02:08 AM5/17/20
to wv...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
Just responding to the flurry of messages. Sorry to hear that wview has really had the plug pulled on it.
It was a good (if overly time-consuming) project. I've decided that as far as complex software systems go, I'm now a consumer rather than producer.
My old weather station is slowly disintegrating, so for Christmas last year I gave myself a new one, an Aercus WeatherRanger 2, which came with bundled reporting to Wunderground. Not my first choice, but sufficient for me. I do wonder what happens if IBM ever pull the plug on Wunderground, but it's okay for now.

We backyard weather archivists will all need to learn how to do data mashups so we can combine all of the different data from different sources as we change platforms. (I believe wview and weewx share the same format?)

All the best to all of you, and big shout out to Graham Eddy who's advice on this forum helped me out several times. Cheers, mate.

On Sun, 17 May 2020 at 02:28, <wv...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Michael Palmer <palmerwm...@gmail.com>: May 15 10:45AM -0700

... but the question is, what if you had tried weewx, didn't love it and
wanted wview back... after it had recently crashed and burned !

On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 12:23:25 PM UTC+10, Trebacz wrote:
Warren Gill <myma...@gmail.com>: May 15 01:21PM -0500

There's always the Internet Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20190902142752/http://wviewweather.com/
You can still get the source code on Sourceforge (I think)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wview/

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 12:45 PM Michael Palmer <palmerwm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Michael Palmer <palmerwm...@gmail.com>: May 16 06:27AM +1000

Thanks for the reply..... I have been through the process of compiling from
source, but have never successfully got the system up and running (the
daemons throw errors) on a raspberry pi. I should have taken an image of my
wview system which had run faultlessly for years before that last power
brownout which killed the system. I am however, (almost) endlessly patient
and will continue to try, unless I happen across an raspbian image with a
full version of wview hidden on the Internet somewhere.

Warren Gill <myma...@gmail.com>: May 15 03:33PM -0500

Similarly, the computer I had run wview on since 2006 finally bit the dust
during a power outage (where the power flipped off and on several times
during a thunderstorm). I was able to retrieve the data, but decided to
modernize rather than try to recreate the ancient Debian version and make
wview work.
weewx is easier to setup than wview and uses the same database schema out
of the box. I have it running on an Odriod HC-1, a board smaller than a
Raspberry Pi, but more powerful and having a SATA port so you can write
data to a laptop HDD.
https://www.hardkernel.com/ko/shop/odroid-hc1-home-cloud-one/

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 3:27 PM Michael Palmer <palmerwm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Graham Eddy <graha...@gmail.com>: May 16 11:32AM +1000

i also ran wview for many years - very solid software, but brittle to change (i did a lot of customisation from source code).
mark teel no longer supports the software, so users are on their own.
a *much* better alternative is to move on to weewx - love it or hate it (i expect former from my own experience)
but wview users' *only* choice is *when* to move, not *if*, and the circumstances (planned, or broken-don’t-go).
cheers
g-eddy

Warren Gill <myma...@gmail.com>: May 15 11:08PM -0500

I have a feeling Mark Teel is no longer with us.

Graham Eddy <graha...@gmail.com>: May 16 02:08PM +1000

mark was okay a few days ago - he feels he has passed the baton on