Tape measure antenna

John Metcalf

Jul 22, 2017, 12:59:23 PM7/22/17
to wsu...@googlegroups.com, Brendon ehmann
For tape measure antenna build, should it be terminated in SMA or BNC? Most handhelds are SMA female (or male) so that would reduce the intermediate adapter for most users (sma-f to sma-f barrel adapters are $2.19 ea). So the most cost effective would be to terminate the antenna in sma-m. Any other thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone

Jonathan Karras

Jul 22, 2017, 1:02:07 PM7/22/17
to wsu...@googlegroups.com, Brendon ehmann
Is the intent to directly attach the antenna to the radio though?

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 10:59 AM, John Metcalf <johncm...@gmail.com> wrote:
For tape measure antenna build, should it be terminated in SMA or BNC? Most handhelds are SMA female (or male) so that would reduce the intermediate adapter for most users (sma-f to sma-f barrel adapters are $2.19 ea). So the most cost effective would be to terminate the antenna in sma-m. Any other thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone

Network Manager
Weber State University
801-626-7529

John Metcalf

Jul 22, 2017, 1:11:37 PM7/22/17
to wsuhams, Brendon ehmann
Yep, directly to the radio.

John Sohl

Jul 22, 2017, 1:16:27 PM7/22/17
to wsuhams, Brendon ehmann
I like having a short (1 or 2 foot) flexible coax between the antenna and the radio. On those radios that have a signal strength indicator, it makes it easier to view the radio screen outside while slowly sweeping the antenna. It also takes the strain off of the connector on the radio. I have a very nice Kenwood handheld with a broken antenna SMA connector that I need to replace, in the meantime I'm just very careful about attaching an antenna to it. I don't recall how it broke, but it has made me very careful about over tightening or other stresses on the connector.

John

- - - -
John E. Sohl, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics
Weber State University
1415 Edvalson St., Dept 2508
Ogden, UT 84408-2508

Office: TY 326
voice: (801) 626-7907

John Metcalf

Jul 22, 2017, 1:41:42 PM7/22/17
to wsuhams, Brendon ehmann
Dr. Sohl - I miss-typed.. The radio will be "directly attached to the antenna" via several feet of loose RG-58 antenna feed line so that strain won't be an issue. http://www.harc.net/docs/2_meter_tape_antenna-2016.pdf

Luke - I remember a yellow handled crimp tool (for the LMR-400 cable) and I markered WSUARC on the side. I don't recall if it had a die for RG-8, do you? Also I don't know where I last saw it, could be at the shack still. If you know anything about it let me know, otherwise I'll check out the shack and if I don't find it I'll buy this one: https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Connector-Crimping-RG-58-LMR195/dp/B00N3PDPYC/

John Metcalf

John Metcalf

Jul 22, 2017, 3:29:36 PM7/22/17
to wsu...@googlegroups.com, Brendon ehmann
Decided on SMA-m connectors, but I got a few BNC-m just in case.

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wsuarc+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wsuarc/CANen_gW5wZ51%3DMx6pA0J6UhVpxZwwKH7_bz9jzYaiOHPEctPrg%40mail.gmail.com.

John Sohl

Jul 22, 2017, 5:30:16 PM7/22/17
to wsuhams, Brendon ehmann
I might have a crimper, I'll check later this afternoon when I'm in the lab.

- - - -
John E. Sohl, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics
Weber State University
1415 Edvalson St., Dept 2508
Ogden, UT 84408-2508

Office: TY 326
voice: (801) 626-7907

Jonathan Karras

Jul 22, 2017, 5:36:07 PM7/22/17
to wsu...@googlegroups.com, Brendon ehmann
The crimper from the shack does have an RG8/213 die but I don't think it has a RG-58 die. It's either up in the shack or in our office area in TE.

John Metcalf

Jul 29, 2017, 12:17:00 PM7/29/17
to wsu...@googlegroups.com
image1.JPG

Got the cable and connectors for the tape measure antennas. Brendon has some old tape measures. I think all that is left is PVC pipe and hose clamps.

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wsuarc+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wsuarc/CAGbUVAjgOrpUuaih%3DvzRU8YBgCbyoWO9UtCnQe%2BiaHGP14aRiA%40mail.gmail.com.

John Metcalf

Jul 30, 2017, 11:13:35 PM7/30/17
to WSUARC
Luke and Jon - I've searched through my equipment room (which is a complete mess at the moment) and couldn't find my soldering gun. Seen anything with my name on it around your shop?

Jonathan Karras

Jul 31, 2017, 10:19:32 AM7/31/17
to wsu...@googlegroups.com
It has been a while since visiting the shack but I think I remember seeing a soldering gun up there.

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 9:13 PM, John Metcalf <johncm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Luke and Jon - I've searched through my equipment room (which is a complete mess at the moment) and couldn't find my soldering gun. Seen anything with my name on it around your shop?

John Metcalf

Aug 5, 2017, 12:54:20 PM8/5/17
to wsu...@googlegroups.com
Jeff Page checked in the shack yesterday evening and didn't find it. He also borrowed the clubs 2m/70cm magnet mount mobile antenna for HARBOR eclipse festivities.

I bought another cable crimper so that's taken care of. Might just buy another soldering gun from harbor freight today.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wsuarc/CAGbUVAg6-q-VGT%2BBuR3_ud%2B-5%2BHHf6gazFHA2ZjDKfnFA3hiJg%40mail.gmail.com.