BigMine-13: Call for Participation

Erheng Zhong

Aug 10, 2013, 10:43:59 PM8/10/13
                   CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

                  In conjunction with KDD 2013

                   2nd International Workshop on
Big Data, Streams and Heterogeneous Source Mining:
                        Algorithms, Systems,
              Programming Models and Applications
                          --- BigMine 2013 ---

                     Chicago - August 11, 2013
                       http://bigdata-mining.org/

AIM and SCOPE
=============
Our ability to collect data in various sensors, devices, formats, either from independent or connected applications, has significantly outpaced our capability to process, analyze, store and understand these datasets. Considering Internet data, the web pages indexed by Google were 1 million in 1998, but quickly reached 1 billion in 2000 and have exceeded 1 trillion in 2008. Recently, the flourish of social networking applications, like Facebook, Twitter, that allow users to create contents freely, further amplifies the already huge web volume. Furthermore, with mobile phones becoming the sensory gateway to get real-time data on people from different aspects, the vast amount of data that mobile carrier can potentially process to improve our daily life has significantly outpaced our past CDR (call data record)-based processing for billing purposes only. It can be foreseen that Internet of things (IoT) applications will raise the scale of data to an unprecedented level. People and devices (from home coffee machines to cars, to buses, railway stations and airports) are all loosely connected. Trillions of such connected components will generate a huge data ocean, and valuable information must be discovered from the data to help improve quality of life and make our world a better place. For example, after we get up every morning, in order to optimize our commute time to work and complete the optimization before we arrive at office, the system needs to process information from traffic, weather, construction, police activities to our calendar schedules, and perform deep optimization under the tight time constraints. In all these applications, we are facing significant challenges in leveraging the vast amount of data, including challenges in (1) system (2) algorithm (3) business model – application. This workshop aims to bring together people from both academia and industry to present their most recent work related to these issues, and exchange ideas and thoughts in order to advance this big challenge that has been considered as one of the most exciting opportunities in the past 10 years.

PROGRAM
=======
The Workshop program is accessible at: http://bigdata-mining.org/schedule/

WORKSHOP VENUE
==============
The workshop will take please at Room Chicago 9, Chicago Sheraton Hotel

PROGRAM CHAIRS
==============
Wei Fan -- Huawei Noah’s Ark Lab
Albert Bifet -- Yahoo! Research Barcelona
Qiang Yang -- Huawei Noah’s Ark Lab
Philip Yu -- University of Illinois at Chicago

ORGANIZERS
==============
Albert Bifet, Yahoo! Research Barcelona
Wei Fan, Huawei Noah’s Ark Lab
Jing Gao, University at Buffalo
Le Gruenwald, National Science Foundation, University of Oklahoma
Dimitrios Gunopulos, University of Athens
Geoff Holmes, University of Waikato
Latifur Khan, University of Texas at Dallas
Dekang Lin, Google
Deepak Turaga, IBM T.J. Watson Research
Qiang Yang, Huawei Noah’s Ark Lab
Philip Yu, University of Illinois at Chicago
Kun Zhang, Xavier University of Louisiana
Xiatian Zhang, Tencent
Yuanchun Zhou, Chinese Academy of Sciences

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
==============
Vassilis Athitsos, University of Texas at Arlington
Roberto Bayardo, Google
Francesco Bonchi, Yahoo! Research Barcelona
Liangliang Cao, IBM
Hong Cheng, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Alfredo Cuzzocrea, ICAR-CNR & University of Calabria
Ian Davidson, SUNY
Nan Du, Georgia Institute of Technology
Joao Gama, University Porto
Fosca Giannotti, ISTI-CNR
Aristides Gionis, Yahoo! Research Barcelona
Bart Goethals, University of Antwerp
Jiawei Han, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Marwan Hassani, Aachen University
Steven C.H. Hoi, Nanyang Technological University
Siddhartha Jonnalagadda, Mayo Clinic
Murat Kantarcioglu, University of Texas at Dallas
George Karypis, University of Minnesota
Steve Ko, SUNY at Buffalo
Vipin Kumar, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
Jianhui Li, Computer Network Information Center,Chinese Academy of Sciences
Cindy Xide Lin, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Shou-De Lin, National Taiwan University
Michael May, Fraunhofer IAIS
Themis Palpanas, University of Trento
Bernhard Pfahringer, University of Waikato
Jesse Read, Universidad Carlos III
Chandan K. Reddy, Wayne State University
Cyrus Shahabi, USC
Ashok Srivastava, NASA
Jian-Tao Sun, Microsoft Research Asia
Jie Tang, Tsinghua University
Hanghang Tong, Carnegie Mellon University
Haifeng Wang, Baidu
Bo Wang, Nanjing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics
Yi Wang, Tencent
Xian Wu, Microsoft
Tian Wu, Baidu
Zhenghua Xue, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Gui-Rong Xue, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Xifeng Yan, University of California at Santa Barbara
Rong Yan, Facebook
Aden Yuen, Tencent
Demetris Zeinalipour, University of Cyprus
Xingquan Zhu, University of Technology, Sydney

Thanks and best regards,
Erheng Zhong (钟迩桁),
Department of Computer Science and Engineering, HKUST

Erheng Zhong

Aug 11, 2013, 7:45:40 AM8/11/13
Sorry for cross-posting.

                   CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

                  In conjunction with KDD 2013

                   2nd International Workshop on
Big Data, Streams and Heterogeneous Source Mining:
                        Algorithms, Systems,
              Programming Models and Applications
                          --- BigMine 2013 ---

                     Chicago - August 11, 2013
                       http://bigdata-mining.org/

PROGRAM
=======
The Workshop program is accessible at: http://bigdata-mining.org/schedule/

9:00 to 9:15 Opening Remarks
9:15 to 10:00 Keynote: Hong Cheng, Processing Reachability Queries with Realistic Constraints on Massive Networks
10:00 to 10:30 Coffee Break
10:30 to 11:15 Invited Talk: Xavier Amatriain, Netflix Big & Personal: the data and the models behind Netflix recommendations
11:15 to 12:00 Keynote: Christos Faloutsos, Large Graph Mining – Patterns, tools and cascade analysis
12:00 to 12:10 PM Best Paper Award.
12:10 to 2:00 PM Lunch
2:00 to 2:45 PM Keynote: Jiawei Han, Challenging Problems for Scalable Mining of Heterogeneous Social and Information Networks
2:45 to 3:15 PM Paper Highlight
3:15 to 3:30 PM Concluding Remarks
3:30 to 4:00 PM Coffee Break and Poster Set up
4:00 to 5:00 PM Poster Session

AIM and SCOPE