ws4py/CherryPy on CentOS one-way communication

Israel Brewster

Nov 4, 2015, 6:35:29 PM11/4/15
to ws4py
I have been using ws4py to provide web sockets from CherryPy. On my Mac OS X development environment, CherryPy 3.8.0, ws4py 0.3.4, python 2.7.10, things appear to work fine. Then I moved the code over to a CentOS box. Identical versions of everything but python itself, which is 2.7.6 rather than 2.7.10. Now, for some reason, the web socket shows no indication that it ever receives messages from the client. I can establish the socket connection fine, and messages sent from the server to the client via the socket get through, but when sending a message back, or closing the connection from the client, neither the received_message or closed functions of the socket ever get called. Obviously this causes serious difficulties in being able to use the socket. What am I doing wrong? Why does it work perfectly from one OS, and not at all from another?

On a related note, is ws4py considered stable? Between this issue, and the other issues I have asked about here, as well as some I have simply worked around, I'm getting the feeling that I should be looking for a different solution. Or is it just that I am doing something wrong?

Thanks for any information.

Sylvain Hellegouarch

Nov 5, 2015, 3:42:04 AM11/5/15
to ws...@googlegroups.com
Hello Israel

Regarding this issue, I haven't tried running ws4py on Centos recently so I can't comment unfortunately.

As for the project's stability. I do need to put out a new release as there has been a few useful fixes. But, it was mostly a learning project for me initially and I lack time to maintain it so I would say that, unless some people in the community show some care for it, it will stay as it is.

I should make a public broadcast about this so that candidates can call for it!

Thanks,

Israel Brewster

Nov 6, 2015, 9:48:47 AM11/6/15
to ws4py
My apologies for not responding to this sooner. Since, as you say, this was a learning project for you and you lack time to maintain it, I'll have to move to a different platform completely. I need something that has some support behind it, as this is for a mission-critical application. Unfortunately I also don't have the time (or the knowledge of the protocol) to take over the project myself. Thank you for the time and effort you have put into this software, but unfortunately I will have to move on.
------------
Israel Brewster

Sylvain Hellegouarch

Nov 6, 2015, 9:54:39 AM11/6/15
to ws...@googlegroups.com
Hi Israel,

Like I said on the CherryPy list, you're making the right decision by moving to a more robust framework with a larger community.
By the end of the year, I will try to make an official release and, likely, I will stop working on ws4py.

If the community is keen on taking over it, I will be very glad to pass it on.

Thanks again!
- Sylvain