pytest is better than assert{ 2.0 } (except it's in Python! Bleah!)

Phlip

Nov 26, 2010, 9:55:29 PM11/26/10
to testfirstus...@yahoogroups.com, wron...@googlegroups.com
TDDers:

A while ago I invented an assertion, assert{ 2.0 }, that reflects its
expression and all intermediate values when it fails:

x = 7; y = 10; assert { x == 7 && y == 11 }
==>
Expected ((x == 7) and (y == 11)), but
(x == 7) is true
x is 7
(y == 11) is false
y is 10

Actually, that's not my assertion, it's Wrong.rb, by Alex Chaffee. His
diagnostic itself is slightly different, but note that it reflects the
variable names and values. That's the point of assert_equal() and its
ilk. You _can't_ say == in your assertion, despite the readability
benefits, because assertions must compete with debugging.

An assertion, when it fails, should work like debugging with a "local
variables watch" feature.

http://github.com/alexch/wrong

Today I successfully auditioned pytest, and it has a better version of
this technique. It leverages Python, which has different reflection
systems. Its faults look like this:

def test_function():
> assert f() == 4

E assert 3 == 4
E + where 3 = f()

Open question: What other assertion systems have user interfaces this awesome?

Oh, also, with pytest...

A> you don't need any icky { } around your statement -
just write assert! and...

Get it here: http://pytest.org/assert.html

--
  Phlip