Welcome, Ralf!

Dreamdeer

Dec 3, 2011, 3:23:05 PM12/3/11
to writings-of-dolores-j-...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to welcome Ralf to the group.  (well, there's only three of us, now four, but still!)  Here is his opening statement:

"Hi, Dreamdeer! I like them all... on my mind Deidre fleeing the CPR lesson, maybe got some empathy through my nursing experience ;) I'm never perfectly sure, but then who should save the lives, if not me or Deidre? Thanks for sharing dreams and stories Ralf"

He has just begun "The Poison Gamble" and I am more thrilled than I can say!

Vinton, Jay (NIH/CIT) [C]

Dec 3, 2011, 3:27:20 PM12/3/11
to writings-of-dolores-j-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ralf.  :-)

Jay E. Vinton

Ralf Penderak

Dec 3, 2011, 4:48:34 PM12/3/11
to writings-of-dolores-j-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Dreamdeer, Jay, Citlalli!

Fine to see you here, have to catch up with some reading, sooner or later will share comments here. So far I'm pleased, quite absorbed in the lively plot and persons. The intriguing difference to other stories for me is that it is still developing (though Dreamdeer closed the stories around "Poison Gamble"), and the characters are more than fictive. The whole frame in this way stays somewhat mysterious and ambiguous to me, and I have this somehow queasy feeling in my stomach, like this story potentially is going to play into my dreams. Would be no surprise, the last lecture certainly entering my dreams was Curt Hoffman's "Seven Story Tower".

I'll keep you updated

Ralf

Vinton, Jay (NIH/CIT) [C]

Dec 3, 2011, 9:23:50 PM12/3/11
to writings-of-dolores-j-...@googlegroups.com

Well, so far, I’ve read all of the backstory stuff, poison chance, and outlaw volume one.

But I found outlaw volume one so depressing, with alroy continuously grinding all else into misery, that I haven’t read any of volume two yet.

What can I look forward to in volume two? More of much the same? Or is there some further development in volume two?

Maybe it’s time to pick it up again.

Jay E. Vinton

Dolores J. Nurss

Dec 3, 2011, 10:05:57 PM12/3/11
to writings-of-dolores-j-...@googlegroups.com
I would not be surprised if you did dream of them, Ralf.  The interesting thing is that sometimes people have accurately dreamed into my world into countries, cultures, and situations that I never told them about.  "The Poison Gamble" and "The Outlaw God" are set in Til Territories, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.  And yes, it does sometimes induce a bit of vertigo.
--
Life is beautiful and dangerous--beware!  Enjoy!

For those following my writing, I have most recently
posted "Contact", Chapter 28 of
"The Outlaw God", Vol II: "The Tempest of Alroy",
plus dream-notes.

Dolores J. Nurss

Dec 3, 2011, 11:14:09 PM12/3/11
to writings-of-dolores-j-...@googlegroups.com
Oh! Rereading the dream notes, I see that I mentioned that I would
someday tell the dream of where Jake got his hat. Since then I have
posted it, in the "Backstory" section. It's titled "Henrie Dass". (I'm
going back and correcting typos.)

Dolores J. Nurss

Dec 4, 2011, 1:09:22 AM12/4/11
to writings-of-dolores-j-...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad you prompted me to recheck the dream notes! I've just
discovered that the notes for chapters 21 and 22 have two different
versions of the notes for 22, and none for 21! I have picked out the
best for 22, and written new notes for 21. I wonder how many other
glaring errors await my discovery?

Ralf Penderak

Dec 4, 2011, 11:56:20 PM12/4/11
to writings-of-dolores-j-...@googlegroups.com
Never mind, Dolores!

I found some time in my nightshift and just read chapter 12 and 13. While "History of Migration" came on heavy, but impressive, "Invitations" are a good counterweight, and made me chuckle. Though it is true in Jade's humor there is lots of cynicism, due to her past. I feel the characters are deep here, and getting deeper, and that is why I think it is so easy for me to identify. I'm especially touched by the Tilian Fireheart Friendclan's enthusiasm and their imperfection. They are wounded outlaws, or on the margin of society, and yet their task (and vow) is to love and heal, at least to somehow manage society. Reminds me so much of many friends on the peacebridge and myself, of course.

Jade says "The well-adjusted, you see, never change a thing--they adjust. Then, when things deteriorate past the survival-point, they've forgotten how to alter their path, so they die."
I think this says so much about the problem of moral majority (or in German better said: The silent majority).
Also some important myths revolve around orphans. I wonder why your dreams picked this topic.

Dolores J. Nurss

Dec 5, 2011, 11:19:26 AM12/5/11
On 12/4/2011 9:56 PM, Ralf Penderak wrote:
Never mind, Dolores!

I found some time in my nightshift and just read chapter 12 and 13. While "History of Migration" came on heavy, but impressive,

Yeah, I guess it does.  I couldn't find a light way to explain the deep burden on these kids.  Then, years later I did, sort of, in "The Harvest of Young Minds".

"Invitations" are a good counterweight, and made me chuckle.

I'm glad!  Confession:  I didn't plan it that way, it just happened.  But then I guess my unconscious mind needed a break.  Anyway, humor and Randy Kramer just naturally go together, unless something's gone really wrong.

Though it is true in Jade's humor there is lots of cynicism, due to her past. I feel the characters are deep here, and getting deeper, and that is why I think it is so easy for me to identify.

I'm glad to hear it.  That's one thing about writing about dream-characters--they won't stay within a writer's limits.

I'm especially touched by the Tilian Fireheart Friendclan's enthusiasm and their imperfection. They are wounded outlaws, or on the margin of society, and yet their task (and vow) is to love and heal, at least to somehow manage society. Reminds me so much of many friends on the peacebridge and myself, of course.

Yeah, I can see that, knowing some of the people involved in Peace Bridge. ;)  I guess I felt like that.  From an early age I was told that I had been born evil and the rest of the family didn't know what to do with me.  And yet in my heart I felt this burning desire to be good, fanned by dreams.

Jade says "The well-adjusted, you see, never change a thing--they adjust. Then, when things deteriorate past the survival-point, they've forgotten how to alter their path, so they die."
I think this says so much about the problem of moral majority (or in German better said: The silent majority).

I think it's true everywhere.  And I keep having dreams about things coming to a crux, where the weirdest people will have the best odds not only of surviving but of thriving.  And in the waking world I see the old order beginning to crumble and look more and more untenable.

Also some important myths revolve around orphans. I wonder why your dreams picked this topic.

Probably because I was abandoned and rescued as a toddler.

Ralf Penderak

Dec 5, 2011, 4:54:04 PM12/5/11
to Writings of Dolores J. Nurss discussion group
> I'm glad to hear it. That's one thing about writing about
> dream-characters--they won't stay within a writer's limits.

That is exactly what I feel, and while dream persons potentially
partake in different realities (waking/dreaming) the whole story feels
like going over the usual boundaries of fiction. Much more come to
mind, and I will write after I have read more.

Didn't know(or recall?) you were abandoned as a toddler. I only
guessed the topic may be personal relevant to you. So yours is a
mythic life :)

Dolores J. Nurss

Dec 6, 2011, 11:13:34 AM12/6/11
to writings-of-dolores-j-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, thank you, it has been a mythic life in a number of ways. I often
feel that if anybody wrote my biography, bookstores would put it in the
"Magic Reality" section.