It's been a while since last update :(

presc...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2015, 4:33:39 AM9/11/15
to Writemonkey
Just wanted to check in and see if Writemonkey was being actively developed / worked on.
It's been almost a year since the last update and I've checked the website countless times hoping to see a new version
released or mentioned.
I love this program and paid for a pro key and I'm hoping it will not fade out.

josip

Sep 11, 2015, 5:56:57 AM9/11/15
to Writemonkey, presc...@gmail.com
It's a totally legit question. The reason there has been no update for a while is that I am working on a new version that will be a complete rewrite. There are many reasons for that but the most important one is making wm also available on OSX and Linux. There is no public beta yet, but I hope to make it available by the end of the year. The new wm will target the same market (text based distraction free writing) but it will be different - I'll take the best parts from wm2 and add some new, modern and in my opinion exiting tools for writers. For now I'm just posting a screen shot of the current development efforts. That said, I still intend to support wm2 in the form of bug fixes and new plugins.

I hope you'll consider this as a good news :)

i.

Kensai

Sep 11, 2015, 8:47:31 AM9/11/15
to Writemonkey, presc...@gmail.com
Its really pretty, at least. I'll just sit over here in my corner and try not to drool on myself.

Brabo

Sep 11, 2015, 3:50:24 PM9/11/15
to Writemonkey, presc...@gmail.com
Looking great!

Will WM remain plain text only? I love the versatility of plain text.

josip

Sep 12, 2015, 3:32:17 AM9/12/15
to Writemonkey, presc...@gmail.com
Of course. Plain text only.
i.

Philip Linden

Sep 12, 2015, 4:15:13 PM9/12/15
to Writemonkey, presc...@gmail.com
There are very few things I wish WM had, and I see them all here: Different colors for list elements, headers, etc.; live updating bold, italics and even strikethroughs; and inline comments. Looking forward to the next release!
Will WM continue to be portable? I like to load it up on my flash drive so I can write from any PC.

josip

Sep 13, 2015, 4:46:34 AM9/13/15
to Writemonkey, presc...@gmail.com
Right now it seems that portability won't be a problem.
i.

red...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2015, 7:01:15 AM9/13/15
to Writemonkey, presc...@gmail.com
This is looking great! Cheers!
I'm curious, what language are you using so it's cross platform?

10/10 would buy again ;)

red...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2015, 7:04:08 AM9/13/15
to Writemonkey, presc...@gmail.com
Hmmm these borders look like CSS dotted 1px :D
So I guess... JS?
Something like Node Webkit maybe?

josip

Sep 13, 2015, 7:49:34 AM9/13/15
to Writemonkey, presc...@gmail.com
Yes, nw.js (renamed). The most viable option.
iztok

Brian Boatright

Oct 5, 2015, 12:09:18 AM10/5/15
to Writemonkey, presc...@gmail.com
As the new version will be compatible with OSX and Linux, will there also be a version that will run on iOS and/or Android? I have ipad, iphone, and windows and macs. I've been trying to use Vim more and more but prefer WriteMonkey so I'm hoping it will be available on the mobile platforms as well.

Greg Adams

Oct 5, 2015, 4:02:42 PM10/5/15
to Writemonkey, presc...@gmail.com
I would like to see Writemonkey on Android too. Currently I use JotterPad (The one by '2 Studios') since I have Writemonkey and that save to the same dropbox folder which is handy enough. I don't write a lot on my phone but it is handy for reference and updating to-do lists and so on.

Since I have been tempted by the nice smooth fonts of Write! Pro (wri.tt) I am looking forwards to an updated writemonkey with tabbed documents. WM is still my favourite even if I toy with other applications.

Thanks to josip again for this program :)

josip

Oct 6, 2015, 3:44:15 AM10/6/15
to Writemonkey, presc...@gmail.com
No plans for mobile because we are talking about two different applications; you can't just recompile wm for mobile and hope it will do its job. Also I think that mobile platforms have a lot of good text / markdown editors, at least on ios side. Not sure for android, though.
i.

Writer on the Storm

May 27, 2021, 9:30:21 AM5/27/21
to Writemonkey
While it is true iOS has some good text editors. (Bear, which I am currently using on the iPad away from home; Ulysses (which I used to use before they went to an overpriced subscription model; iA Writer et al) an iOS version of Writemonkey would be the home run. Currently I have a Windows desktop (with WM of course) and an iMac - which for some reason i don’t write with (WM looks better on WIndows and my screen than on the iMac. Less glarey screen probably plays its part too). As it stands, if I am out writing a first draft I have to send a plain text clip and paste via email and into WM on the PC from there. Then reverse that process when I am out again. Not ideal.

Bottom line: There is a maket for a PAID version of WM on the App Store. I realise it would need to be a paid version to offset the extra coding work and (probably) Apple taking a hefty cut of the profits. It would be great to keep the whole first draft part of the process within the WM environment regardless of platform. Other, albeit more financially backed platforms like MS Word and Scrivener manage it. They are still a different enough market though to justify WM on iOS to finally match and co-ordinate with its desktop platforms.

Olivier Gechter

May 30, 2021, 6:02:58 AM5/30/21
to Writemonkey

Hello. I think too that WM is a very good solution and need more marketing to be considered as a competitive solution by the author community (in France at least).
A Mac bundle (dmg) available or not in apple store should be a good first step: I tried to convinced mac users authors  to use WM, but the relative difficulty to initial start up is a real break to the acceptation.
A user friendly cloud solution would be a second important step.

Regarding iOS or android app I understand it could be complicated and time consumming to start a project. So bad, it would be great. :)