writeCapture2 compatibility issue, DART RichMedia Ads

jbcima

Sep 5, 2012, 3:31:58 PM9/5/12
to writecaptu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It appears that DART RichMedia Ads, (which do work with the original writeCapture) are not working with writeCapture2.

I have reproduced everything on jsFiddle. The non-working RichMedia ad embeds scripts, and inside those scripts are also document.write calls which embed scripts, and so on and so forth. I think this might be what is causing the issue. Depending on what you guys think, I think this might be worthy of opening an issue in the tracker? I will actively try to solve this issue in the next few days, and for now just use the old writeCapture.

Here is an example of a non-working ad:

Here is an example of a working ad:

NOTE: Because they are in jsFiddle the errors in non-working example relating to "DARTIframe.html" appear because they aren't on a doubleclick site (I'm pretty sure these errors do not effect the display of the ad, they don't appear locally). Same thing with the "Unsafe JavaScript attempt to access frame with URL" errors in the working example.

Sean Ford

Sep 5, 2012, 5:47:02 PM9/5/12
to writecaptu...@googlegroups.com
It works, you just need to call the ad directly from DART. Here, try this out, I took the request string from one of my sites:

writeCapture.write(document.getElementById('ad_container'),'<scr'+'ipt language="JavaScript" src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/N3618/adj/sstr/NEWS;pos=0;pth=news;sz=728x90;tile=1;ppc=0;clu=;ui=82803124282;ord=12355615?" type="text/javascript"></scr'+'ipt>');

All ADJ requests to DART result in a doc.write, so the use of writeCapture is essential when you're placing your ad requests after document.ready.
--
Sean

jbcima

Sep 6, 2012, 9:47:13 AM9/6/12
to writecaptu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I appreciate the response. The output in the jsFiddle above is identical to the DART ad call (I just wanted to have something more archival as DART ad calls can change which ads are placed).

While yes, it does work for certain ads, here is a jsFiddle with the actual ad in question that is not working:

Any help would be much appreciated :-)
It is supposed to generate a 300x250 flash ad.

jbcima

Sep 6, 2012, 10:06:40 AM9/6/12
to writecaptu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sorry, not sure what happend with that jsFiddle. one with real ad call here: http://jsfiddle.net/72TxN/3/

noah

Sep 13, 2012, 9:26:36 PM9/13/12
to writecaptu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

Your fiddle works fine for me in Chrome. Is there a specific browser
that is giving you trouble?

jbcima

Sep 14, 2012, 10:32:16 AM9/14/12
to writecaptu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you both for looking into it! I think it was just a particular 300 x 250 ad that was giving an issue. Very Strange. If it happens again I will troubleshoot and post solution..

jbcima

Sep 24, 2012, 2:23:21 PM9/24/12
to writecaptu...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have confirmed the fiddle is still not working.

if I embed the code in jsFiddle it works:
<script language="JavaScript" src="http://edgecastcdn.net/000C2A/js/demo/example_richmedia.jstype="text/javascript"></script>​​​​​​

Whereas, if I try to writecapture it, no success. http://jsfiddle.net/Ts3Ch/

Going to continue using v1 of writecapture until I can figure out issue. If anyone could point me in the write direction it would be much appreciated.