Zeros of AJEXDI

Elham Daadmehr

Aug 9, 2020, 4:05:37 PM8/9/20
to wrdssas
Hi everybody,

I'm new to Compustat.
Does anyone know that what does the "zero" value for AJEXDI mean?
I found its meaning in CRSP but I don't know that one is ok for Compustat or not. and if yes what I should do next.
I'm trying to compute daily return using the following formula:

((PRCCD / AJEXDI) * TRFD)t) /  ((PRCCD / AJEXDI) * TRFD)t-1) * 100

but because of the zero value of AJEXDI, I get some Inf for the return.

Thank you in advance,

Attila Balogh

Aug 10, 2020, 9:30:50 AM8/10/20
to wrdssas, Elham Daadmehr

Elham,

If the data is exported as zero values, the only thing to do is exporting it again. You can determine whether this is the case by clicking on the cell and visually inspecting its content.

Perhaps changing the format of the variable prior to exporting will help, but I’m not familiar with using Excel for data analysis. The current format value is 18.4.

data pre_export;

format ajexdi 28.14;
     set comp.secd;
run;

Attila

Attila Balogh

School of Banking & Finance

UNSW Business School | UNSW Sydney
Level 3 Business School Building | UNSW Sydney 2052
E: attila...@unsw.edu.au | W: www.business.unsw.edu.au

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 7:38 PM Elham Daadmehr <e.daa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you so much Attila,

The problem is that I don’t access to my pc with SAS for some months. How can I change these zeros to their real value (change the format) in the case I use excel output?

Thank you in advance,

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 at 05:27, Attila Balogh <a...@llbk.com> wrote:

Elham,

According to the below code, there are no zero values in the Compustat Security Daily dataset. There are very small values that may be displayed as zeros, however.

One example is gvkey 160856 iid 01 on July 23 2004 with an ajexdi value of 0.0000000300, which the 18.4 formatting for that variable would display as 0.0000.

data null_ajexdi;
        set comp.secd;
        null_a = (ajexdi=0);
        keep null_a;
run;
proc freq data=null_ajexdi;
        table null_a;
quit;

Attila

--
Forum home on www.wrds.us - http://www.wrds.us/index.php/forum_wrds/

All posts are moderated.
---

Elham Daadmehr

Attila Balogh

Elham Daadmehr

Aug 12, 2020, 1:00:07 PM8/12/20
to Attila Balogh, wrdssas
Thank you so much, Attila.

Attila Balogh

Aug 12, 2020, 6:23:51 PM8/12/20
to Elham Daadmehr, wrdssas
Elham,

It has occurred to me that you can probably download the data again via WRDS SAS Studio even if you don’t have access to your PC with SAS.

Attila

Elham Daadmehr

Aug 13, 2020, 9:16:43 AM8/13/20
to Attila Balogh, wrdssas