Help with merging Compustat and RiskMetrics

Long Lucas

Jan 25, 2021, 4:51:56 PM1/25/21
to wrdssas
Hello everyone,

I would like to ask about the issues I faced during my research.

I try to merge two datasets, one is from Execucomp and one is from RiskMetrics.

Here are what happened,

The data from Execucomp are based on firms, for example
WeChat Screenshot_20210125165035.png
However, the data from RiskMetrics are based on a single person (directors), for examples

WeChat Screenshot_20210125165056.png

So as you may find out, one CEO or CFO may serve as director for many companies in one year. And RiskMetrics only provide the cusip for the firm that he/she served as Director. For the firm that served as CEO/CFO it only provides a name.

I try to merge using Director's Name, but these two datasets use different formats to record names. For example, one including the middle name and one without the full name.

Can anyone provide some suggestions or feedback? Many thanks in advance.

Best,

Lucas

Kamron Eck

Jul 3, 2024, 3:27:11 AM (3 days ago) Jul 3
to wrdssas
Did you ever figure this out? The only solution I can posit is doing a fuzzy match with a column that has the company cusip-year-director name merged.