How to get M&A data based on Compustat Footnotes

Isabella B.

Nov 9, 2021, 8:58:17 PM11/9/21
to wrdssas
Hi all,
I am studying a paper and trying to understand how the researcher got the variable below "based on Compustat footnotes":

M&A: An indicator variable equal to one if a firm engages in a merger or acquisition during the fiscal year, and zero otherwise (based on COMPUSTAT footnote)

I know that Compustat does not track M&A directly. Do you know what would be the process to get to such a result?

Thanks in advance,
Isabella

Snapshot.PNG

wanrong hou

Nov 10, 2021, 5:57:15 PM11/10/21
to Isabella B., wrdssas
Hi Isabella,

I am not sure if this can help you. If you go to WRDS, COMPUSTAT, Fundamentals Annual. Under "Step 3: Choose variable types.", you could check the box of "footnote". I think it may give you some info when you download the data.

Wanrong

--
Forum home on www.wrds.us - http://www.wrds.us/index.php/forum_wrds/

All posts are moderated.
---

Dr. Wanrong Hou

Associate Professor, PhD
Department of Management
Robert C. Vackar College of Business & Entrepreneurship
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley