Undesired part of rainbow .vol file

Dan Sid

Feb 4, 2023, 8:10:27 PM2/4/23
to wradlib-users
Hi,
I have a rainbow file (attachment below) with an unexpected beginning. As in opposition to the standard <volume... part of the file (such as the provided examples ), this file of mine has the following content:
This is the first part of the file right before <volume...
I tried to delete this on Ubuntu's gedit text editor but it seems that the binary data got corrupted (I'm having zlib decompression errors).

So how do I get rid of this initial part without corrupting the rest of the data?
2023020118581500dBuZ.vol

Kai Mühlbauer

Feb 5, 2023, 8:33:00 AM2/5/23
to wradli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

the data in the binary blobs is not up to standard. My assumption is,
that whatever was done to the file, changed the encoding and therefore
made the file unusable.

This might happen, when reading with some text processor with wrong
encoding and writing to disk again.

I'm not sure, if there can anything be done to recover that.

You might also ask on our new openradar discourse:

https://openradar.discourse.group/

Please provide a description what has been done to the file to get it
into this state. Maybe we can get a bit more insight if this is
recoverable or not.

Best,
Kai

Am 05.02.23 um 02:10 schrieb Dan Sid:
> Hi,
> I have a rainbow file (attachment below) with an unexpected beginning. As
> in opposition to the standard *<volume...* part of the file (such as the provided
> examples <https://github.com/wradlib/wradlib-data/tree/main/rainbow> ),
> this file of mine has the following content:
> This is the first part of the file right before *<volume...*
> I tried to delete this on Ubuntu's *gedit* text editor but it seems that

Dan Sid

Feb 5, 2023, 8:40:57 PM2/5/23
to wradlib-users

Hi, Kai

The file was edited using Gnome's gedit. But I still have the original.
The edition consisted of deleting the entire section before <volume... in order to get past the following error:

ExpatError: not well-formed (invalid token): line 1, column 1

Then I did the edition. The loading of metadata went ok, but loading the entire file returned compression errors.
I higly suspect of gedit not saving with the same encoding, due to a encoding warning in the program + the new file size was 3 times larger.

Recovering is not necessary at the moment because I have access to this specific radar data storage, where the Rainbow files don't have this non-standard section.
However for other radars the files are distributed in a website (click 'Download de dados > Radares > [name] > [file]).
There you can see all the files have a similar section before <volume...

My question is: can wradlib somehow ignore this section to read the file successfully? Or is there any software that can edit this out without corrupting the data?

Best regards,
Dan