Plotting scan strategy neatly

38 views
Skip to first unread message

Sambit Panda

unread,
Jul 7, 2020, 3:16:04 AM7/7/20
to wradlib-users
Hello Everyone!

Hope this finds you well!

I want to plot a nice looking scan strategy plot for a radar with the following params:
nbins=988
nazim = 360
gatesize=250 m
radar_loc = (x,y,z) # Put some random coordinates if you want
bw = 0.93 degrees
elevs = [0.2,1.1,2.3,3.7,5.3,7.4,9.9,13.0,16.8,21.4]

I used the wradlib.vis.plot_scan_strategy tool and got a plot, but I was hoping to modify it for a more cleaner look. I want the plot at 500 m vert resolution and reaching to a max alt of 20 km.

I have attached the sample plot for your reference.

Please help me improve this as I want to put it in a paper!

Regards,
Sambit
sulur_scan_strategy.png

Jorma Rahu

unread,
Jul 8, 2020, 5:36:59 AM7/8/20
to wradlib-users
Hello

Sorry, I do not know how to help directly, but check out the last bit of code at https://docs.wradlib.org/en/stable/notebooks/beamblockage/wradlib_beamblock.html
I think it is pretty nice example how to draw good scan strategies. I like it more, as the actual radar beams are also straight, it is the earth surface that is "turning away" (*insert flat earth joke here*).

With a bit of tweaking I draw our scan strategy images (check for the attachment). The red dashed line is 10 km line to represent the somewhat average height for top of troposphere.

Hope this helps!

Best regards
Jorma Rahu
Rays_long.png

Kai Muehlbauer

unread,
Jul 8, 2020, 5:41:07 AM7/8/20
to wradli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jorma,

this is a really great example! Would you be able to port this to
`plot_scan_strategy`?

Let me know, if you want to give it a try. Otherwise I would try myself.

Cheers,
Kai


Am 08.07.20 um 11:36 schrieb Jorma Rahu:
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "wradlib-users" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to wradlib-user...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:wradlib-user...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wradlib-users/decd8be8-d94c-42b5-af48-b591d355a2d0o%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wradlib-users/decd8be8-d94c-42b5-af48-b591d355a2d0o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
Kai Muehlbauer
Institute of Geosciences, Meteorology Section, University of Bonn
Auf dem Huegel 20 | +49 228 739083
D-53121 Bonn | kai.mue...@uni-bonn.de

Sambit Panda

unread,
Jul 8, 2020, 5:44:09 AM7/8/20
to wradli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jorma!

Thanks for your response! Your plot looks really great and it was indeed very smart modifying the beamblock utility to plot this. I was only using beam blockage to analyse certain sections for blockage in the radar domain. But your approach was very intuitive to plot the scan strategy using the same.

Can you share your code snippet for the same?

Regards,
Sambit

Sambit Kumar Panda
Scientist/Engineer-SC, ASD/AOSG/EPSA,
SAC(ISRO), Ahmedabad


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "wradlib-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wradlib-user...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wradlib-users/decd8be8-d94c-42b5-af48-b591d355a2d0o%40googlegroups.com.

Sambit Panda

unread,
Jul 8, 2020, 5:51:04 AM7/8/20
to wradli...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kai,

I think this would be a nice addition to the plot_scan_stratgy utility as it looks very elegant.

Also, is it possible to get a utility for plotting cross sections of radar field (say Reflectivity), similar to what PyART is offering (http://arm-doe.github.io/pyart/source/auto_examples/plotting/plot_xsect.html). That would be really helpful as most of the time, while writing papers we need such plots for vertical structure analysis of the storm. 

I know the requests for such kinds of utilities will only keep growing, and I am sorry to add any extra work load to your plate. But, I really like the wradlib interface and it's usability as compared to PyART as wradlib supports a much wider range of file formats and is very intuitive and open in it's approach.

One again, I really appreciate your efforts in bringing out this utility and supporting as all along!

Regards,
Sambit

Sambit Kumar Panda
Scientist/Engineer-SC, ASD/AOSG/EPSA,
SAC(ISRO), Ahmedabad

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wradlib-user...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wradlib-users/4ccd0242-4e6e-3ea5-e0e3-c0fa1c90b7db%40uni-bonn.de.

Jorma Rahu

unread,
Jul 8, 2020, 6:01:35 AM7/8/20
to wradlib-users
Hey Kai

I think I don't understand the terminology here. What do you mean by "porting"? Do you mean that I could include the code to the "plot_scan_strategy" function?
At the moment the code is quite rough (uncommented and so on), but I could make it a little nicer and send it to you, so you could make it more efficient and even prettier?

There is actually DEM also included to the plot, but Estonia is so flat, that with the 20 km vertical scale, the DEM is not visible (but it is there!!).

Jorma Rahu

Kai Muehlbauer

unread,
Jul 8, 2020, 6:37:10 AM7/8/20
to wradli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jorma,

yes, exactly, that was mean't by using 'porting'.

I would gladly take your code and implement it into wradlib, if you do
not find the time.

DEM sounds intriguing, maybe as an option. We have recently implemented
automatic srtm downloads. So this would be something nice for the user.

Cheers,
Kai


Am 08.07.20 um 12:01 schrieb Jorma Rahu:
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "wradlib-users" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to wradlib-user...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:wradlib-user...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wradlib-users/e28b5352-aee3-48a6-a42e-96c80d70abb5o%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wradlib-users/e28b5352-aee3-48a6-a42e-96c80d70abb5o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Kai Muehlbauer

unread,
Jul 8, 2020, 6:53:56 AM7/8/20
to wradli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sambit,

In the other Email Jorma suggested to send the code to me for
implementation in wradlib.

I think I can have this ready by end of next week including a new
wradlib release (1.7.3, as this fixes the somewhat old-ish look and feel
of the current implementation).

Would this fit into your timeframe?

Cheers,
Kai

Am 08.07.20 um 11:43 schrieb Sambit Panda:
> Hi Jorma!
>
> Thanks for your response! Your plot looks really great and it was indeed
> very smart modifying the beamblock utility to plot this. I was only
> using beam blockage to analyse certain sections for blockage in the
> radar domain. But your approach was very intuitive to plot the scan
> strategy using the same.
>
> Can you share your code snippet for the same?
>
> Regards,
> Sambit
> *
> *
> *Sambit Kumar Panda*
> *Scientist/Engineer-SC, ASD/AOSG/EPSA,*
> *SAC(ISRO), Ahmedabad*

Kai Muehlbauer

unread,
Jul 8, 2020, 6:56:02 AM7/8/20
to wradli...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sambit,

please open an issue with this feature request on the wradlib github
issue tracker.

We can discuss from there...

https://github.com/wradlib/wradlib/issues

Cheers,
Kai

Am 08.07.20 um 11:50 schrieb Sambit Panda:
> Dear Kai,
>
> I think this would be a nice addition to the plot_scan_stratgy
> utility as it looks very elegant.
>
> Also, is it possible to get a utility for plotting cross sections of
> radar field (say Reflectivity), similar to what /PyART/ is offering
> (http://arm-doe.github.io/pyart/source/auto_examples/plotting/plot_xsect.html).
> That would be really helpful as most of the time, while writing papers
> we need such plots for vertical structure analysis of the storm. 
>
> I know the requests for such kinds of utilities will only keep growing,
> and I am sorry to add any extra work load to your plate. But, I really
> like the /wradlib/ interface and it's usability as compared to /PyART/
> as wradlib supports a much wider range of file formats and is very
> intuitive and open in it's approach.
>
> One again, I really appreciate your efforts in bringing out this utility
> and supporting as all along!
>
> Regards,
> Sambit
> *
> *
> *Sambit Kumar Panda*
> *Scientist/Engineer-SC, ASD/AOSG/EPSA,*
> *SAC(ISRO), Ahmedabad*
>
>
> <mailto:wradlib-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:wradlib-user...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:wradlib-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> > To view this discussion on the web, visit
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wradlib-users/decd8be8-d94c-42b5-af48-b591d355a2d0o%40googlegroups.com
> >
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wradlib-users/decd8be8-d94c-42b5-af48-b591d355a2d0o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> Kai Muehlbauer
> Institute of Geosciences, Meteorology Section, University of Bonn
> Auf dem Huegel 20       | +49 228 739083
> D-53121 Bonn            | kai.mue...@uni-bonn.de
> <mailto:kai.mue...@uni-bonn.de>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "wradlib-users" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
> send an email to wradlib-user...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:wradlib-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wradlib-users/4ccd0242-4e6e-3ea5-e0e3-c0fa1c90b7db%40uni-bonn.de.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "wradlib-users" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to wradlib-user...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:wradlib-user...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wradlib-users/CAOHk%2BiF2RJPc9Zp9Ri4SjVwAX%3DmO5NY0ZoZcEfvLsf%3DixtfSRg%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wradlib-users/CAOHk%2BiF2RJPc9Zp9Ri4SjVwAX%3DmO5NY0ZoZcEfvLsf%3DixtfSRg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Sambit Panda

unread,
Jul 8, 2020, 7:13:34 AM7/8/20
to wradli...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kai,

Thanks for responding!

Next week sounds good. Any improvements in an already awesome library is most welcome by us users, even if it takes a little longer. 

Meanwhile, I have managed to create a plot following the hints by Jorma! Although it's not as neat as presented by Jorma.
Have a look!

Thanks and regards,
Sambit

Sambit Kumar Panda
Scientist/Engineer-SC, ASD/AOSG/EPSA,
SAC(ISRO), Ahmedabad

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "wradlib-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wradlib-user...@googlegroups.com.
test.png

Sambit Panda

unread,
Jul 8, 2020, 7:29:28 AM7/8/20
to wradli...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kai,

Thanks for the suggestion of opening an issue regarding this. I just did, at the link provided. 
Also, while going through the open issues, I have presented my interest in an existing thread for VIL and ET (with the inclusion of CFAD by me). I hope that's okay with you.

Regards,
Sambit

Sambit Kumar Panda
Scientist/Engineer-SC, ASD/AOSG/EPSA,
SAC(ISRO), Ahmedabad

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wradlib-user...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wradlib-users/79e2895b-94c8-edc9-1322-589e7776ed42%40uni-bonn.de.

Kai Muehlbauer

unread,
Jul 8, 2020, 8:03:55 AM7/8/20
to wradli...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sambit,

I forgot to add this:

Together with PyART, baltrad and others we started a community platform
for free and open source weather radar software
https://openradarscience.org some years ago. On github
https://github.com/openradar you'll find several courses where we
presented workflows where different packages worked together in order to
achieve a specific goal. Currently PyART developers pushing cloud
computing (binder etc.), bringing radar data processing to the next level.

There was another combined short course planned for ERAD2020, but has
been postponed to ERAD2022.

Cheers,
Kai

Am 08.07.20 um 13:29 schrieb Sambit Panda:
> Dear Kai,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion of opening an issue regarding this. I just
> did, at the link provided. 
> Also, while going through the open issues, I have presented my interest
> in an existing thread for VIL and ET (with the inclusion of CFAD by me).
> I hope that's okay with you.
>
> Regards,
> Sambit
> *
> *
> *Sambit Kumar Panda*
> *Scientist/Engineer-SC, ASD/AOSG/EPSA,*
> *SAC(ISRO), Ahmedabad*
>
>
> <mailto:kai.mue...@uni-bonn.de

Sambit Panda

unread,
Jul 8, 2020, 8:45:54 AM7/8/20
to wradli...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kai,

Thanks for sharing info. I have already gone through the links and github repositories. The problem is I was never able to use PyART to it's full potential because it would throw some error regarding the metadata or file Structure with the inputs I give and I couldn't trace back the solution to it.

On the other hand, wradlib worked flawlessly because I was able to covert every thing to numpy arrays and use the utilities to get the job done (unlike in PyART where we often have to creat radar objects or grids).

But, I would definitely give it a try again!

Thanks and regards,
Sambit


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "wradlib-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wradlib-user...@googlegroups.com.

Kai Muehlbauer

unread,
Jul 8, 2020, 10:26:53 AM7/8/20
to wradli...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sambit,

Am 08.07.20 um 14:45 schrieb Sambit Panda:
> On the other hand, wradlib worked flawlessly because I was able to
> covert every thing to numpy arrays and use the utilities to get the job
> done (unlike in PyART where we often have to creat radar objects or grids).

True, wradlib was written for use with numpy arrays, giving the user as
much freedom as possible. "Keep the magic to a minimum" was one of the
slogans of those days. Flexible, but lower level.

But this requires thorough knowledge and understanding on the user side.
That's why we have all these notebooks around.

Cheers,
Kai

Sambit Panda

unread,
Jul 8, 2020, 11:39:40 AM7/8/20
to wradli...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kai,

You are right! The notebooks really help to build our understanding of the topic and our workflow.

I think I should explore PyART further in order to take advantage of both worlds.

Best Wishes,

Sambit 

Sambit Kumar Panda
Scientist/Engineer-SC, ASD/AOSG/EPSA,
SAC(ISRO), Ahmedabad

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "wradlib-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wradlib-user...@googlegroups.com.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages