Clutter filtering

Sylvain Watelet

May 11, 2022, 4:22:16 AM5/11/22
to wradlib-users, Laurent Delobbe
Dear wradlib users,

Looking at this function https://docs.wradlib.org/en/stable/generated/wradlib.clutter.classify_echo_fuzzy.html , I noticed that the trapezoidal membership function for the decision variable rhohv (rho2) is very strict in the sense that it very easily regards not so low values of rhohv as clutter, although such values could simply correspond to the bright band. See here https://github.com/wradlib/wradlib/blob/main/wradlib/clutter.py , line 409: "rho2": [-9999, -9999, 0.95, 0.98].

Looking at Vulpiani et al. (2012) on which the function classify_echo_fuzzy is based, there is no sign of rhohv as a decision variable (only its texture). So, what is the scientific basis for the above implementation?

Thank you in advance,
Cheers,
Sylvain

Sylvain WATELET
Koninklijk Meteorologisch Instituut
Institut Royal Météorologique

Kai Muehlbauer

May 11, 2022, 4:48:44 AM5/11/22
to wradli...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sylvain,

thanks for bringing this to attention.

I'd need to hand that question over to Maik Heistermann. He
added/changed that "rho2" back in the days:

https://github.com/wradlib/wradlib/commit/163c3e272b6f5484e640673a1c00072b680445ae

It looks like incorporating RHOHV directly is an enhancement to the
Vulpiani algorithm. I'd guess it should discard high RHOHV values from
clutter, but I agree that the current default seems far to strict.

If you are not happy with the current setup, you might just override
that trapezoid functions with your own (via "trpz" kwarg) or set the
weight to zero (via "weights" kwarg).

Do you think an update of the docstring would help users?

Best,
Kai

--
Kai Muehlbauer
Institute of Geosciences, Meteorology Section, University of Bonn

Sylvain Watelet

May 11, 2022, 5:18:06 AM5/11/22
to wradlib-users, Laurent Delobbe
Hi Kai,

Thank you for the quick answer! I think the documentation should at least include the default values for the weights and for the trapezoids. A nice addition would be to cite the source for each default parameter. This is just my opinion of course.

Thanks for reminding me the possibility of using the trpz argument, I think I will use that.

Cheers,
Sylvain

Would you be able to change the docstring via a PullRequest? That would
be very much appreciated.

Best,
Kai

Am 11.05.22 um 11:18 schrieb Sylvain Watelet:
> Hi Kai,
>
> Thank you for the quick answer! I think the documentation should at
> least include the default values for the weights and for the trapezoids.
> A nice addition would be to cite the source for each default parameter.
> This is just my opinion of course.
>
> Thanks for reminding me the possibility of using the trpz argument, I
> think I will use that.
>
> Cheers,
> Sylvain

Sylvain Watelet

May 11, 2022, 5:25:25 AM5/11/22
to wradlib-users
Hi Kai,

Ok, I will do that for the default values of the weights and the trapezoids, then Maik could add something on the sources if he wants to.

Cheers,
Sylvain