Hydrometeor classification using membership function: Gamic data

Ambinintsoa Volatiana

May 3, 2022, 5:39:20 AM5/3/22
to wradlib-users
Hello,

I am a PhD student at the University of La Réunion.

I am working with data from a dual polarization X-band radar, and we have .h5 files. I want to classify the hydrometeors using 2D membership functions. When I run :

filename = wrl.util.get_wradlib_data_file('data.h5') #Gamic data, .h5 file
msf = wrl.io.get_membership_functions(filename)

I got an error: Not a gzipped file (b'\x89H')

My question is: How can I determine the membership function from my input data set?

Sincerely

Kai Muehlbauer

May 3, 2022, 9:30:14 AM5/3/22
to wradli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ambinintsoa,

welcome to the wradlib community.

You would need to work along the example notebook for the 2D HMC:

https://docs.wradlib.org/en/stable/notebooks/classify/wradlib_2d_hmc.html

You would need to load the membership functions (available via
wradlib-data repo) with that function, not the radar data.

To your question: It is not possible to determine the membership
functions from the input data set.

HTH,
Kai

Am 03.05.22 um 11:39 schrieb Ambinintsoa Volatiana:
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wradlib-users/8b7b560a-0cd6-48b2-af2a-63986dcc3461n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wradlib-users/8b7b560a-0cd6-48b2-af2a-63986dcc3461n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Kai Muehlbauer

May 6, 2022, 2:01:59 AM5/6/22
to wradli...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

as this might not be that clear in the tutorial I'll add some more
insight here:

The provided MSF have been designed to work with Western Europe
precipitation regime. Please take results achieved with those MSF on
radar data in other climate regions with a grain of salt. You might want
to adapt the MSF in case they do not quite fit for your region.

I have been thinking for a while now to create a little graphical user
interface utility where one can change the MSF with drag and drop. But
unfortunately I didn't had the time so far. If there is someone
interested in creating such a utility within wradlib, I'll happily help
with it. Any volunteers?

Best,
Kai

Am 03.05.22 um 15:30 schrieb Kai Muehlbauer:
--
Kai Muehlbauer
Institute of Geosciences, Meteorology Section, University of Bonn

Ambinintsoa Volatiana

May 8, 2022, 10:46:13 AM5/8/22
to wradlib-users
Hi every one,

Our region is caracterised by a tropical climate, in indian ocean, so I need your help to find the MSF adapted to our climate, if anyone knows studies on it.

Best,
Ambinintsoa Volatiana RAMANAMAHEFA