Political Engineering, Libs for Lunch

George D. Phillies

Oct 29, 2001, 6:04:19 PM10/29/01
Some topics don't get covered in any course, but are still important if
you are an American. One topic is political engineering: how to elect
candidates to office, how to organize a referendum campaign, how to raise
money and influence voters. It's not mysterious. It's not nearly as
complicated as physics. It is important, if you want to continue to live
in a free country.

Wednesday, modestly before noon, I will do a round table educational
discuss-over-lunch session in the Campus Center, northern end or as close
as I can find a table on the lower level. You're welcome to join me.

There are sound reasons that political parties beat out single excellent
candidates. While laws are presently structured to support party-based
politics, party machines persist because they do effective politics,
either off campus or on campus.

I'll also be happy to discuss political issues. I ran for Congress in
1998, as a Libertarian (the country's third largest political party). In
these interesting national times, there are contrasting ideas on foreign
and domestic policy, some of which might have avoided the misfortunes of
last month. (As an ethical issue, if you are taking my physics class this
term, please don't show up for the luncheon before C term.)

George Phillies
extra reading on doing real politics:
www.cmlc.org, especially the political tactics sections.