Political Engineering

George D. Phillies

Nov 14, 2001, 12:22:24 AM11/14/01
Once again, we will assemble over lunch at noon in the lower floor of the
campus center to discuss aspects of doing practical politics. I'll try to
arrive early to get a table.

"Press Releases" seems to be an interesting topic. Writing good press
releases takes a lot of skill, or knowing a list of tricks.

And we can discuss a bit of 'doing research for interesting press
releases' staying with public data. For example, how many of you can name
the Massachusetts politician who hired a Campaign CEO last year, said
campaign CEO being paid over 100Gs for the year, when the campaign CEO was
her live-in boyfriend? That was all on the web, staying with government
documentation filed under penalty of perjury. All you had to do was know
where to look. For an example of closer-to-home data, perhaps we'll look
at that old nonprofit reliable, the IRS 990 form.

George Phillies