Negative margin overlapping link

Matt Meade

Dec 18, 2014, 7:04:05 PM12/18/14
to WPGR

Anyone know a good html/css solution to this? I'm working on a WordPress plugin, a widget that displays a menu as interlocking hexagons. The bottom portion of each link is unclickable where the negative margin is covering it with the row beneath.

Any ideas?

http://www.sitebeyondsight.com/responsive-hexagon-menu-plugin/

Steve Colthorp

Dec 19, 2014, 9:46:54 AM12/19/14
to wp...@googlegroups.com, Bob Orchard
Seems like Bob Orchard dealt with similar issues last year at Givecamp for the site redev project he headed up...  He's CC:ed.

Steve C.
3Cstudio

Bob Orchard

Dec 19, 2014, 5:02:45 PM12/19/14
to wp...@googlegroups.com, b...@tinypint.com
Steve,

Thanks for looping me in on this.

Matt,

The site we did this on is http://drcwm.org. We had to use CSS to rotate and then rotate back for the shapes, making them properly clickable. We also configured it to function like a masonry photo gallery (like Pinterest) where they stack all together.

Take a look at that and let me know if that helps point you in the right direction.

- Bob

Matt Meade

Dec 20, 2014, 2:01:03 PM12/20/14
to WPGR

Thanks, I hope when I have a chance to dig into the code it helps! :-)

I may still be screwed though because yours are still square like a box model and don't require any invisible bits hanging out like my stupid hexagons. :-(

Bob Orchard

Dec 20, 2014, 4:58:21 PM12/20/14
to wp...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

Take a look on over at http://jtauber.github.io/articles/css-hexagon.html for creating them in CSS. It's similar to how I did the diamonds and should cut your overlap because you're drawing the shape itself, so there shouldn't be anything fighting each other.

Bob Orchard
Tinypint, Inc. // (616) 536.8283 // http://tinypint.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "WordPress Grand Rapids (WPGR)" group.

Matt Meade

Dec 20, 2014, 5:15:59 PM12/20/14
to WPGR

Saw that first but couldn't go in that direction as I'm outputting post thumbnails inside the hex (so it can't be made of borders), has to hold content.

http://www.sitebeyondsight.com/responsive-hexagon-menu-plugin/