Time to think.

Chris McKinstry

Apr 12, 2006, 10:43:42 PM4/12/06

The past two and a half months have given me time to think.

The conclusion? I am angry.

It's not because I'm marinating in the resultant fluids of
my own decomposition. This goes much deeper than that.

I was thinking back to the good ol' days back in Canada:
useless copy protection schemes, choking on tear gas during
my armed standoff in Toronto, my online soap opera (CR6),
unpaid debt and fabrications of great wealth.

And it makes me angry. Angry that I'm already fading from
memory. I'll soon be a footnote on a long forgotten page
which even Google never bothers to visit.

People will say "Chris who? Oh you mean that guy." Yes,
well.. heh... hehehahashahsah Ha ha ha!!! Oh hell, I can't
go on!! Too funny. hah ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha!
Ha ha! Oh man, I kill myself. Er... well, you know what I mean.

I'm just toying with you, my lab rats in wpg.general. I am
super human! Floating through the Seven Dimensions of the
Mind/Space Continuum have made me a god.

I have always been and will always be. I am FOREVER. I'm
the itch you can't scratch. I'm the gas you can't pass, I'm
the cause of your premature ejaculation! I will RUIN YOU!

Best regards, worthless inhabitants of my petri dish,

K. CHRISTOPHER MCKINSTRY
DRAWER B-21, MORGUE,
GENERAL HOSPITAL,
SANTIAGO, CHILE

Stoneman

Apr 13, 2006, 8:07:58 PM4/13/06

Haven't the mice and rats chewed you up already?

Stoneman Auto Review

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/sar

One test drive at a time!

Glen Hallick

Apr 13, 2006, 11:15:22 PM4/13/06

"Stoneman" <not...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

No, no, that's Kenny McCormick.

Glen

blackmar...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2013, 9:58:56 PM8/26/13
You will never be forgotten, but never remembered either.

Diane Gall

Oct 20, 2013, 8:26:27 PM10/20/13
On Wednesday, 12 April 2006 20:43:42 UTC-6, Chris McKinstry wrote:
> < snip idiocy >

Good god. I pop in here after who knows how many years and I see this nonsense.

McKinstry is dust... or he isn't. We'll never have those halcyon days back. If you weren't there, it cannot be described to you. If you were there, you don't need to be reminded about it.

Diane

Andres Bravo

Jan 2, 2022, 6:22:24 PM1/2/22
After all, Chris is still dead since Jan 23rd, 2006. I was confused.

How should I know he's a prisoner? Sometime in 1990. And Why Did he failed because of Suicide? Possibly.

I think we should relive our memories to him, and to be very cool that we are not dead yet. Now, Where are the CR6 episodes and cast that I haven't seen before I was born in August 19th, 2003. I'll Let the Search Team and Lost Media Wiki do it. Never forget, and expect us.

Andres Bravo (Maracaibo, Venezuela)

R. S. Moura

Feb 25, 2023, 8:20:10 PM2/25/23
Navigating this long-dormant plot it's like a journey back in time. A harrowing journey...

Greg Carr

Feb 26, 2023, 4:20:43 PM2/26/23
On Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 5:20:10 PM UTC-8, R. S. Moura wrote:
> Navigating this long-dormant plot it's like a journey back in time. A harrowing journey...

Stumbled into this ng some years ago only 3 posters were active one ran a tat shop they tired of my biblical quotes that forbid tats took a vote and took their thing to an email chain.

Mr. McKinstry killed himself at 38 after failing to do so in a teen suicide attempt. He admitted stiffing various ppl to a total of $100k he was an admitted bipolar and had depression and druggie his suicide note said no one loved him well douchebag why would they? 957 Google Groups views alone of this thread sent by someone claiming to be him 4 months after his death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AChris_McKinstry His Dad split when he and his brother were young. He wrecked two marriages leaving one ex in debt a familiar pattern for useless and supposedly used all his friends until their were none left.

https://dbpedia.org/page/Chris_McKinstry

(Top)
Life

Mental health
Death
In media
Articles
References
External links
Chris McKinstry

Article
Talk
Read
Edit
View history
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chris McKinstry
Born Kenneth Christopher McKinstry
February 12, 1967
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Died January 23, 2006 (aged 38)
Santiago, Chile
Occupation Artificial intelligence researcher
Kenneth Christopher McKinstry (February 12, 1967 – January 23, 2006) was a researcher in artificial intelligence. He led the development of the MISTIC project which was launched in May 1996. He founded the Mindpixel project in July 2000, and closed it in December 2005. McKinstry's AI work and similar early death dovetailed with another contemporary AI researcher, Push Singh and his MIT Open Mind Common Sense Project.[1][2][3]

Life
McKinstry was a Canadian citizen. Born in Winnipeg, he resided several years in Chile. From 1999, he lived in Antofagasta as a VLT operator for the European Southern Observatory. At the end of 2004, he moved back to Santiago, Chile. Suffering from bipolar disorder, McKinstry had an armed standoff with police in Toronto in 1990, with it lasting 7 1/2 hours. It ultimately concluded with McKinstry being hit with tear gas, but ending with no casualties [4][5]

In February 1997, Chris McKinstry started an online soap opera, CR6.[6][7] According to journalist Bartley Kives, around 700 people auditioned for the show, which only lasted for two months, before McKinstry left Winnipeg with "estimated debts in excess of $100,000".[8] McKinstry later claimed to have lost $1 million in the CR6 failure, and the many people he recruited to build the soap opera, including photographers, writers, a director, and several prominent businesses, never received any of the money owed to them for their work.[citation needed]

Before his death, McKinstry designed an experiment with two cognitive scientists to study the dynamics of thought processes using data from his Mindpixel project. This work has now been published in Psychological Science in its January 2008 issue,[9] with McKinstry as posthumous first author.

Mental health
Chris McKinstry had a long struggle with his mental health, with him admitting to being diagnosed with bipolar disorder. [10] McKinstry, as a result, suffered from frequent suicidal thoughts and a long-standing depression, discussing it in his suicide note. In his teen years, McKinstry had attempted suicide, intentionally overdosing on drugs, another issue McKinstry struggled with. [11] His bipolar disorder is often attributed to the reason for his standoff in 1990.

Death
Chris McKinstry was found dead in his apartment on January 23, 2006, with a plastic bag over his head, connected by a hose from the stove gas line.[12] He was found to have posted a suicide note online. McKinstry wrote, "I am tired of feeling the same feelings and experiencing the same experiences. It is time to move on and see what is next if anything...This Louis Vuitton, Prada, Montblanc commercial universe is not for me. If only I was loved as much a Montblanc pen..."'[13]

There was some public note of the similarity between the suicide of Chris McKinstry and that of Push Singh, another AI researcher, a little over a month later. Both of their AI projects, McKinstry's Mindpixel project and Singh's MIT-backed Open Mind Common Sense, had similar trajectories over the last six years.[14] His death was determined to have been suicide.[15]

In media
McKinstry is the subject of a 2010 documentary called The Man Behind the Curtain which recounts his innovative work and his struggle with mental health issues.[16]

Articles
"Minimum Intelligent Signal Test: An Alternative Turing Test", Canadian Artificial Intelligence, No.41.[17]
"A Closer Look at Life in the Summer of '76", Mindjack, 2001.
"Passage through science", Mindjack, 2001.
"Twenty Twenty: Astronomical Vision", Mindjack, 2002.
"A Hacker Goes to Iraq", 2600: The Hacker Quarterly, 2003.[18]
Epstein, Robert; Roberts, Gary; Beber, Grace, eds. (1 December 2008). "Mind as Space". Parsing the Turing Test: Philosophical and Methodological Issues in the Quest for the Thinking Computer. Springer Science & Business Media. p. 283. ISBN 978-1-4020-9624-2.
McKinstry, Chris; Dale, Rick; Spivey, Michael J. (January 1, 2008). "Action dynamics reveal parallel competition in decision making". Psychological Science. 19 (1): 22–24. doi:10.1111/j.1467-9280.2008.02041.x. PMID 18181787. S2CID 25789465.
References
Mottram, Bob (January 28, 2006). "Legends in AI: Chris McKinstry". The Streeb-Greebling Diaries. Archived from the original on February 14, 2006. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
Hendler, James. "In Memoriam: Push Singh (1972-2006)". KurzweilAI.net. Archived from the original on November 16, 2007. Retrieved January 14, 2007.
"Mindpixel Crashes". AlphabetSoup. May 6, 2006. Archived from the original on July 5, 2006. Retrieved June 6, 2006.
"McKinstry in Toronto - Globe and Mail". Google Groups. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
"McKinstry in Toronto - Toronto Star". Google Groups. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
"Winnipeg crew offers Net soap for cyber fans". The Ottawa Citizen. 1997-01-09. p. 24. Retrieved 2021-09-20.
"Canadian soap opera is coming to Internet". The Windsor Star. 1997-01-25. p. 61. Retrieved 2021-09-20.
KIVES, BARTLEY (2011-01-23). "Jan 2011: A belated eulogy". Winnipeg Free Press. Retrieved 2021-09-20.
McKinstry, Chris; Dale, Rick; Spivey, Michael J. (January 1, 2008). "Action dynamics reveal parallel competition in decision making". Psychological Science. 19 (1): 22–24. doi:10.1111/j.1467-9280.2008.02041.x. PMID 18181787. S2CID 25789465.
Kushner, David. "Two AI Pioneers. Two Bizarre Suicides. What Really Happened?". Wired.com. Wired. Retrieved Jan 18, 2008. {{cite web}}: External link in |ref= (help)
"So what does a web suicide note look like?". Wired. 2006. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
"Two AI Pioneers. Two Bizarre Suicides. What Really Happened?". Wired. ISSN 1059-1028. Retrieved 2021-09-16.
"So what does a web suicide note look like?". Wired. 2006. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
Manjoo, Farhad (September 15, 2000). "Two Fake Brains Better Than One". Wired. Archived from the original on May 28, 2006. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
Kushner, David (January 18, 2008). "Two AI Pioneers. Two Bizarre Suicides. What Really Happened?". Wired. Archived from the original on May 16, 2008. Retrieved September 14, 2021.
"Home". The Man Behind The Curtain. Archived from the original on March 17, 2009. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
McKinstry, Chris. "Minimum Intelligent Signal Test: An Alternative Turing Test". Canadian Artificial Intelligence (41). Retrieved June 10, 2018.
McKinstry, Chris (Spring 2003). "A Hacker Goes to Iraq" (PDF). 2600: The Hacker Quarterly. 20 (1): 9. Archived from the original (PDF) on February 3, 2006. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
External links
"MindPixel: Is It Real?". oocities.org. October 2009. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
"Mindpixel Digital Mind Modeling Project". Mindpixel. 2000. Archived from the original on August 15, 2000. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
Cringely, Robert X. (August 24, 2000). "Put On Your Thinking Cap: Chris McKinstry Wants to Build a Brain Accelerator". PBS. Archived from the original on December 6, 2000. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
"CR6 online soap opera". cr6.com. Archived from the original on April 12, 1997. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
von Ahn, Luis (December 7, 2005). Human Computation (PDF) (Ph.D). Carnegie Mellon University School of Computer Science. p. 67. Retrieved June 10, 2018.

Danny Nikolai

Jun 20, 2023, 6:30:54 PM6/20/23
Oh my god I remember this. Where ever you are in Chile Chris I hope you're doing well and come back out. If your now some AI in the internet now than I hope you're doing well in that. I'm never gonna believe you're dead.