What ever happend to CR6 (Winnipeg Internet Soap)

vand...@autobahn.mb.ca

Sep 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/12/99
The Subject lines speaks for itself.
What every happend to the Winnipeg Cyber-Soap Called (CR6), that
started a few years ago.

COWW (Stan Olson)

Sep 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/12/99

Stan: the people that squat in wpg.general did'nt like it ...

Perhaps we can get the equivilent of a Coronation Street
or an East Enders, produced and set in Winnipeg ....

It could be about pimps, vagrants and bag ladies.
It could be called Degradation Street or Dead Enders ...

Stan: Real "disgusting" TV ...

Gordon Grieder

Sep 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/12/99

"COWW (Stan Olson)" wrote:

> vand...@autobahn.mb.ca wrote:
> >
> > The Subject lines speaks for itself.
> > What every happend to the Winnipeg Cyber-Soap Called (CR6), that
> > started a few years ago.
>
> Stan: the people that squat in wpg.general did'nt like it ...

Oh please! McChimp brought his fate on himself.

Did wpg.general:
- order limosines and not pay?
- get photographers that never were paid?
- make a bogus, delusional interview?
- inflate hits and stats for the press?
- have an armed standoff in Toronto?

COWW (Stan Olson)

Sep 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/12/99

Stan: he only did that because you guys were mean to him !

He was obviously lashing out at his tormentors...
Oh the Humanity !

kcmck...@hotmail.com

Oct 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/3/99

> so the story goes, McKinstry ripped people off and ended up in Chile
> were he has spent the last few years hiding.
> but he was seen by myself this past June having lunch at the Olive
> Garden on Portage across from Polo Park.

1) i haven't been in canada since august 18, 1997 (though i do still
maintain substantial assets there)
2) i wouldn't be caught dead in olive garden
3) i've had extensive plastic surgery so you couldn't possible recognize
me anyway.

and as for the primary question... cr6 was sold to the cast in june of
1997 for $1. they own all the rights to trademarks, story, characters,
and production software.

as for people getting ripped off... no one lost money , other than me
(depending on how you count, about $1 million), contrary to the reports
here and in the media.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

d...@mbnet.mb.ca

Oct 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/3/99

kcmck...@hotmail.com wrote in message <7t6qgp$pto$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>1) i haven't been in canada since august 18, 1997 (though i do still
>maintain substantial assets there)
>2) i wouldn't be caught dead in olive garden

re: the story- I dont think its really Chris

The post almost sounds believable especially with the Olive
garden comment and possibly the selling of the remaining intellectual
property rights of cr6.

However, I dont think that this is truly Chris in the post and dont believe
that he was in fact seen at the Olive garden a few years ago
as SP suggested in the past. Possibly someone who looked like him
or his relatives.

Anyhow, any of the long time readers here will know that I supported
his entrepreneurial efforts back then and still stand by the view that
he accomplished more in failure than just about any of his harshest
critics can attempt to lay claim to in their little successes.

Its easy to attack his long standing confrontational posting patterns
on this group, so I wont.

Sure he made many mistakes in the business but had he surrounded
himself with better management mentors and perhaps distanced
himself from all media participation and his past, he could have built
that business into some type of a thriving net multimedia business today.

Yes he carried alot of personal baggage with him and much of it
got interwined with his business matters and certainly didnt
help at the end.

Yes many people were dissapointed and not paid for services rendered but it
was understood at the outset that this was a risky
and exciting net venture for those who chose to ride along with the
wave.

He created an excitement in the winnipeg Internet scene which has
only been seen to a lesser degree, one or two times since with ideas like
the rock game and perhaps some animation contracts awarded to one of only a
few animation studios here.

I never had great confidence in the Saop idea (stll photos of a soap opera
at a time when motion video was doable at least for promotional purposes)
but he certainly succeeded in creating the buzz and getting the needed early
support of participants and the media.

No he was not simply a scam artist, although I wont deny the
appearance of that, especially with his untimely departure for foreign lands
and stories of heartache and unpaid bills left behind.

He has the brain power to pull off a successful business startup
but there is much more required to make it a going concern.

I didnt think then and still dont think that he was emotionally prepared
for success and probably even less prepared for failure...however
few people are properly prepared.

However, some of the positive things accomplished were:
- his initial creation of the media buzz with the casting call which
garnished countless stories in the press and hundreds of applicants
at the mirachi hotel with the white jaguar parked outside to add flavor
- his ability to interest intelligent people to join his management
and production team. These people were not all rolled in from the
cabbage patch on the back of a buggy.
- his choice of a a catchy name and the initial story line was
acceptable, albeit not original with other later failed net soap ventures
like the Spot
- his webpage was acceptable despite not being filled with wizbang
special effects, even if it was at a very early stage of the net and
products like shockwave
- he was able to secure some financing and the confidence of
lenders, the hotel and some staff many of whom wished to be a part
of the excitment for free and had hoped to be paid at some time
although the possibility of complete failure was certainly possible
(The miragi hotel may/may not have been paid but it received far
more publicity for that event which has lasted till today, then the room
rental fees would have been. ) how many of you would know about
that little hole in the wall otherwise? How many people got their
first on air audition with this effort? How many people got to hold
a video camera or setup lights for a photo shoot for the first time with
this effort who may not even to this day, had the opportunity.
- he put on an excellent and well attended launch party with the
limousine outside, big screen tv, music, a few celebrities. the atual
launch of the site on the screen was a letdown but the buzz was
certainly created

Anyhow, this city has been an entrepreneurial stagnant cesspool
for years now and almost any kind of spark is better than nothing
to keep the young and old interested in the future.

Opportunities are abundant for those who have the initiative, drive,
energy, brain power, people power and the sticktoitiveness to
persevere in light of changng trends, complex business roadblocks
and of course critics who join the bandwagon to cheer as a business
fails partly as a way to prove to themselves that they were wiser
to have not tried anything than to have failed at something.

So those are my opening remarks on this topic at this time.

I have tremendous respect for self employed people. People who
can make something from nothing and create opportunites for
those around them.

Anyone can sit on the sidelines in a salaried job and criticize those
who put it all on the line to make it happen, and for those I have
some mixture of pity and contempt.

Yes I also supported Wayne Flett and his proposal to create the
excitement desparately needed downtown with the Nashville
north concept. He also saw his downfall when he began to do his
own media appearances and Peter Warren made it his personal
mission to see this entrepreneure fail at every step with city hall.

Glen Hallick

Oct 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/3/99
kcmck...@hotmail.com wrote:

> > so the story goes, McKinstry ripped people off and ended up in Chile
> > were he has spent the last few years hiding.
> > but he was seen by myself this past June having lunch at the Olive
> > Garden on Portage across from Polo Park.
>

> 1) i haven't been in canada since august 18, 1997 (though i do still
> maintain substantial assets there)

Is this the real McKinstry?

> 2) i wouldn't be caught dead in olive garden

Would that be Winnipeg or Toronto?

Ooops! Sorry, it wasn't an Olive Garden in Toronto.

> 3) i've had extensive plastic surgery so you couldn't possible recognize
> me anyway.

On the run from the law?

> and as for the primary question... cr6 was sold to the cast in june of
> 1997 for $1. they own all the rights to trademarks, story, characters,
> and production software.

In other words the cast paid too much and got sweet bugger all in return.

> as for people getting ripped off... no one lost money , other than me
> (depending on how you count, about $1 million), contrary to the reports
> here and in the media.

That's funny.

Glen

Norman Gall

Oct 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/3/99
In article <ouOJ3.5164$Vg4.2...@news1.rdc2.on.home.com> ,
<d...@mbnet.mb.ca> wrote:

> kcmck...@hotmail.com wrote in message <7t6qgp$pto$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>>1) i haven't been in canada since august 18, 1997 (though i do still
>>maintain substantial assets there)
>>2) i wouldn't be caught dead in olive garden

> re: the story- I dont think its really Chris

> The post almost sounds believable especially with the Olive
> garden comment and possibly the selling of the remaining intellectual
> property rights of cr6.

Now that's an hilarious phrase.

> However, I dont think that this is truly Chris in the post and dont believe
> that he was in fact seen at the Olive garden a few years ago
> as SP suggested in the past. Possibly someone who looked like him
> or his relatives.

Whatever you say, Kreskin.

> Anyhow, any of the long time readers here will know that I supported
> his entrepreneurial efforts back then and still stand by the view that
> he accomplished more in failure than just about any of his harshest
> critics can attempt to lay claim to in their little successes.
>
> Its easy to attack his long standing confrontational posting patterns
> on this group, so I wont.

You've been defending him since day one. To attack him would be the
height of hypocrisy.

> Sure he made many mistakes in the business but had he surrounded
> himself with better management mentors and perhaps distanced
> himself from all media participation and his past, he could have built
> that business into some type of a thriving net multimedia business today.

But this presumes that he could have held onto competent business
management mentors. Anyone looking closely at what was being done would
have run for the hills for fear of being dragged down with him - as some
did.

> Yes he carried alot of personal baggage with him and much of it
> got interwined with his business matters and certainly didnt
> help at the end.

Didn't help? It was his unstable personality that created the mess he
was in.

> Yes many people were dissapointed and not paid for services rendered but it
> was understood at the outset that this was a risky
> and exciting net venture for those who chose to ride along with the
> wave.

There's a difference btween honest risk and bunko.

> He created an excitement in the winnipeg Internet scene which has
> only been seen to a lesser degree, one or two times since with ideas like
> the rock game and perhaps some animation contracts awarded to one of only a
> few animation studios here.

No one outside of Winnipeg looked twice. Anyone who looked once, did so
at the behest of McChimp then promptly ignored the fool and his errand.

> I never had great confidence in the Saop idea (stll photos of a soap opera
> at a time when motion video was doable at least for promotional purposes)
> but he certainly succeeded in creating the buzz and getting the needed early
> support of participants and the media.

Hardly an accomplishment of any note.

> No he was not simply a scam artist, although I wont deny the
> appearance of that, especially with his untimely departure for foreign lands
> and stories of heartache and unpaid bills left behind.

He was a simple scam artist and many people saw right through it right
away. The problem was that there are too many incredulous people such as
yourself that are ill-equipped to examine the evidence laid out in front
of them. It was obvious to anyone who cared to look that this was
ill-advised, run by a charlatan, and conceived to fleece the fool.

> He has the brain power to pull off a successful business startup

Psychosis and intelligence are not mutually exclusive.

> but there is much more required to make it a going concern.
>
> I didnt think then and still dont think that he was emotionally prepared
> for success and probably even less prepared for failure...however
> few people are properly prepared.

I didn't realise you were a psychologist as well as an idiot.

> However, some of the positive things accomplished were:
> - his initial creation of the media buzz with the casting call which
> garnished countless stories in the press and hundreds of applicants
> at the mirachi hotel with the white jaguar parked outside to add flavor

Lots of imagination there.

> - his ability to interest intelligent people to join his management
> and production team. These people were not all rolled in from the
> cabbage patch on the back of a buggy.

Being intelligent doesn't mean that you don't sometimes get suckered.

> - his choice of a a catchy name and the initial story line was
> acceptable, albeit not original with other later failed net soap ventures
> like the Spot

The name wasn't catchy; the story line non-existent.

> - his webpage was acceptable despite not being filled with wizbang
> special effects, even if it was at a very early stage of the net and
> products like shockwave

Wow. You're praising the guy that claimed that he virtually created the
home PC software market with being able to use Photoshop and an HTML
editor. I guess that must seem like magic to you.

> - he was able to secure some financing and the confidence of
> lenders, the hotel and some staff many of whom wished to be a part
> of the excitment for free and had hoped to be paid at some time
> although the possibility of complete failure was certainly possible
> (The miragi hotel may/may not have been paid but it received far
> more publicity for that event which has lasted till today, then the room
> rental fees would have been. ) how many of you would know about
> that little hole in the wall otherwise? How many people got their
> first on air audition with this effort? How many people got to hold
> a video camera or setup lights for a photo shoot for the first time with
> this effort who may not even to this day, had the opportunity.

I guess you think that armed street gangs are praiseworthy because they
give police officers more experience dealing with armed criminals, boost
the profits of arms and ammunition manufacturers, and provide hospital
emergency room personnel with much need gun-shot wound treatment
experience.

> - he put on an excellent and well attended launch party with the
> limousine outside, big screen tv, music, a few celebrities. the atual
> launch of the site on the screen was a letdown but the buzz was
> certainly created

Big deal. Anyone could have created just as much 'buzz' without hiring
PR people. The guy was small time and he knew it: it was all a ploy to
wring cash out of suckers.

Nothing you've said above even hints at suggesting that McChimp did one
iota of good for anyone. I guess we should ask the wife he abandoned to
trot off to Chile.

> Anyhow, this city has been an entrepreneurial stagnant cesspool
> for years now and almost any kind of spark is better than nothing
> to keep the young and old interested in the future.

I hardly think that importing 'confidence men' like McChimp is what this
city needs.

> Opportunities are abundant for those who have the initiative, drive,
> energy, brain power, people power and the sticktoitiveness to
> persevere in light of changng trends, complex business roadblocks
> and of course critics who join the bandwagon to cheer as a business
> fails partly as a way to prove to themselves that they were wiser
> to have not tried anything than to have failed at something.

Uh huh. Which of the above traits do you not possess then?

> So those are my opening remarks on this topic at this time.

Thanks for keeping them brief.

> I have tremendous respect for self employed people. People who
> can make something from nothing and create opportunites for
> those around them.

There's no such thing as making something from nothing.

> Anyone can sit on the sidelines in a salaried job and criticize those
> who put it all on the line to make it happen, and for those I have
> some mixture of pity and contempt.

Coming from you, this is nothing short of pathetic. But then, who could
have expected anything more?

--
No one can guarantee success in war, but only deserve it.

Walter Krawec

Oct 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/3/99
Pay attention newbies, if past trends are any indication this could get
good. :P

Walter

chrismc...@my-deja.com wrote:

> some of you seem to get your kicks by attempting to cause harm to me.
> why you would even attempt this, is an issue you'll have to deal with
> youselves.

chrismc...@my-deja.com

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
some of you seem to get your kicks by attempting to cause harm to me.
why you would even attempt this, is an issue you'll have to deal with
youselves.

but, i should let you know, you're doing a lot of work for nothing. the
fake subscriptions don't hurt me, actually they help but inflating my
subscription numbers... as well, the first time a message bounces, the
subscriber automatically gets dropped.

but thanks for thinking about me. be assuered, i am NOT doing the same.
wpg.general is just one big, evil creature in my mind. as individuals,
you don't exist.

kcmck...@hotmail.com

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99

d...@mbnet.mb.ca

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99

w3sp...@wpg.flame wrote in message ...

>> his entrepreneurial efforts back then and still stand by the view
>> he accomplished more in failure than just about any of his harshest
>> critics can attempt to lay claim to in their little successes.
>You're a complete fucking idiot.

re: spiders usual mindless profane criticism from the sidelines

Sure again Spider proves he can ramble off and criticize ad nauseum
and contribute nothing in return.

So tell us Mr. Expert, what successful business are you running?

Show the readers of this group that you arent just an aged, loud mouth
arrogant, blowhard who hasn't ever achieved anything other than get a job,
and will probably never achieve anything more.

Its easy to criticize, but lets see you do something.

Are you on that list of 100 Top Canadian companies. I didnt think so.

Norman Gall

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
In article <xUtK3.8624$Vg4.3...@news1.rdc2.on.home.com> ,
<d...@mbnet.mb.ca> wrote:

> w3sp...@wpg.flame wrote in message ...

>>> his entrepreneurial efforts back then and still stand by the view

>>> he accomplished more in failure than just about any of his harshest
>>> critics can attempt to lay claim to in their little successes.

>>You're a complete fucking idiot.

> re: spiders usual mindless profane criticism from the sidelines

> Sure again Spider proves he can ramble off and criticize ad nauseum
> and contribute nothing in return.

This from the guy that proves that he can ramble off and mindlessly
praise convicted spouse abusers ad nauseum and contribute nothing in
return.

> So tell us Mr. Expert, what successful business are you running?

You wouldnt' recognise it if he told you Don. It is _successful_.

> Show the readers of this group that you arent just an aged, loud mouth
> arrogant, blowhard who hasn't ever achieved anything other than get a job,
> and will probably never achieve anything more.

He's already shown himself to be twice the man you are by merely getting
a job.

> Its easy to criticize, but lets see you do something.

He's been there and done that while you were making inane videos in the
basement.

> Are you on that list of 100 Top Canadian companies. I didnt think so.

If only you could pull that tumour you call a head out of your ass even
only as long as it would take to draw a single breath.
--
The majestic egalitarianism of the law, which forbids rich and poor
alike to sleep under the bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal

Glen Hallick

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
d...@mbnet.mb.ca wrote:

> w3sp...@wpg.flame wrote in message ...

> >> his entrepreneurial efforts back then and still stand by the view

> >> he accomplished more in failure than just about any of his harshest
> >> critics can attempt to lay claim to in their little successes.

> >You're a complete fucking idiot.
>
> re: spiders usual mindless profane criticism from the sidelines

More mindless whiney crap from the grandmaster himself...Don Bayomi.

> Sure again Spider proves he can ramble off and criticize ad nauseum
> and contribute nothing in return.

Speaking of contributing Bayomi, I would seriously question the sincerety of
every freakin' post you have had at this newsgroup. I have absolutely no doubt
that your sole purpose here is only to be a shit-disturber and then run off
telling some one how annoying you have been. OR you run to the phone to cry the
blues to some one's employer of what an employee might have said.

> So tell us Mr. Expert, what successful business are you running?

What does running a business have to do with this?

> Show the readers of this group that you arent just an aged, loud mouth
> arrogant, blowhard who hasn't ever achieved anything other than get a job,
> and will probably never achieve anything more.

What goddamn freakin' arrogance there Bayomi. Well it's clear to me and
probably to a hell of a lot of people that you look down your nose at anyone
that earns an hourly wage and such people ain't worth bugger all in your feeble
mind.

> Its easy to criticize, but lets see you do something.

Speaking of which, given your above line you are a hypocrite. But that is
hardly new news.

> Are you on that list of 100 Top Canadian companies. I didnt think so.

What about you Bozo? About the only goddamn list you're on is the short list
for the nominees of Asshole of the Year.

Glen

Mouse

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Actually the hotel doesn't have a manager exactly, in is run by the owner
and his sons, I should no, I used to work there. I'm not sure wich room
was used but if it was the room I think it was the PR wouldn't have come
close to paying the bill.
> [...]

> I bet THAT was a major boost in their lives and careers.

> > - he put on an excellent and well attended launch party with the
> > limousine outside, big screen tv, music, a few celebrities.
>
> That was again, paid for by others, and promoted by the ignorant and
> uncaring media.

> >the atual
> > launch of the site on the screen was a letdown but the buzz was
> > certainly created
>
> Again, so what?
> Many scams have been publicized, does this lend an air of legitimacy
> to them for you? You bloody fool.

> > Anyhow, this city has been an entrepreneurial stagnant cesspool
> > for years now and almost
>
> You're a complete fucking idiot.
> Go read the Top 100, in Canadian Business Magazine.

> >any kind of spark is better than nothing
> > to keep the young and old interested in the future.
>
> See above.

> > Opportunities are abundant for those who have the initiative, drive,
> > energy, brain power, people power and the sticktoitiveness to
> > persevere in light of changng trends, complex business roadblocks
>
> That leaves you out.

> > and of course critics who join the bandwagon to cheer as a business
> > fails partly as a way to prove to themselves that they were wiser
> > to have not tried anything than to have failed at something.
>
> Well, you have the inside track on failure.

> > So those are my opening remarks on this topic at this time.
>
> And as idiotic and hypocritical as any you've ever made.

> > I have tremendous respect for self employed people. People who
> > can make something from nothing and create opportunites for
> > those around them.
>
> Again, that leaves you out.

> > Anyone can sit on the sidelines in a salaried job and criticize those
> > who put it all on the line to make it happen,
>
> Your problem is you've never held a salaried job, and are obviously
> envious of those who can and do. I'd say that the honest and
> successful people have the right to criticize anyone who says one
> thing and does another. Another clue for you. donny.

> >and for those I have some mixture of pity and contempt.
>
> Well, you have mine and others.

> > Yes I also supported Wayne Flett and his proposal to create the
> > excitement desparately needed downtown with the Nashville
> > north concept.
>
> Another guy wanting taxpayers and others to foot the bill, and taking
> NO PERSONAL RISK whatsoever. Like McChimp.
> What a surprise that you'd support THAT.
> "Put it all on the line" You're completely hopeless.

> >He also saw his downfall when he began to do his
> > own media appearances and Peter Warren made it his personal
> > mission to see this entrepreneure fail at every step with city hall.
>
> About the only good thing Warren has ever done.
>
> You have no idea about REAL success, how it's measured, who's
> achieving it, or how happy they are in their personal and business
> lives. You only have your own small stick to measure with, so I can

jh2...@live.com

May 5, 2020, 9:13:19 PM5/5/20
He was an interesting flawed person

Sousa Teuzii

Aug 19, 2021, 2:53:22 PM8/19/21
Le mardi 5 mai 2020 à 21:13:19 UTC-4, jh2...@live.com a écrit :
> He was an interesting flawed person
what the heck are you doing here after 20 years ??? :D GUYS IM TRYING TO FIND ANY INFOS ABOUT CR6 AND I DONT FIND NOTHING. PLEASE, ANYTHING WOULD HELP A PICTURE, ANYTHING WOULD HELP

Freedom Loving Loyalist Noah Williams

Oct 9, 2021, 7:52:27 AM10/9/21
Man do I miss proper grammar.

Mismagius Lore

Dec 13, 2021, 7:22:19 PM12/13/21
On Saturday, October 9, 2021 at 8:52:27 AM UTC-3, Freedom Loving Loyalist Noah Williams wrote:
> Man do I miss proper grammar.
Me too buddy, me too...