camera animation 'bumps'

Ernst Naezer

Jun 9, 2009, 3:25:36 AM6/9/09
to WPF Graphics Site group
Hi,

I'm experimenting a little with the viewer3d / xaml converter tool and
I have a question about the way my camera animation is rendered.

I've created a simple object in the center of my scene (in max2009),
added a target camera and created a motion trajectory from a circle.
Ie. the camera circles the object in the center.

When looking at this animation in the viewer I notice a difference in
playback. The camera seems to 'hop' from point to point instead of
going through them smoothly.

Any idea of how I can fix this?

cheers,
Ernst

p.s. I can upload the sample file but it's not very difficult to
create.

Andrej Benedik

Jun 12, 2009, 4:03:20 PM6/12/09
to wpf-gr...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am sorry but at the moment I cannot create a sample animation with using circle for camera's path.

The Reader3ds animates the 3d objects with interpolating the positions between keyframes. To make the animation smoother, it is even possible to get the objects between frames - GetFrame gets frame number as double (for example for frame 1.5 shows objects between first and second frame).

I assume the problem is not on the Reader3ds part, but on the too few keyframes in 3ds file.

Maybe it would help if the circle that is used for a path is created with more sides or something that would make it more precise.
I assume that the 3D Studio Max is using a mathematical representation of a circle, so its animation can be smooth. But 3ds file format does not provide a way to store animation with mathematical representation of a circle - it uses a keyframes to store the object positions at various points in time. So if the whole circle animation would be converted into 10 keyframes for all 360 degrees the animation would be bumpy.

This can be simply tested by importing the 3ds file back to 3DS MAX - if the animation here would be bumpy, that you should try to "convince" 3D Studio MAX to create more keyframes for the animation.

I hope you will find a solution with adjusting your 3d animation data.
If not, please send me the sample 3ds file (use my http://www.wpf-graphics.com/Feedback.aspx and attach the 3ds file) with animation and I will check it out in more details.

Andrej