Re: [WPF Disciples] Abridged summary of wpf-disciples@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 1 topic

Nathan Dunlap

Sep 19, 2018, 1:35:55 PM9/19/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Im still here (and back at MSFT). Still doing XAML in UWP these days. That said I am spending a fair bit of time in React and doing similar stuff to Karl working with round tripping Sketch files to React Components.  Coincidentally we spun up a WPF prototype in the last couple weeks. Its fun to be using Blend again and especially ironic to compare it to how excited people are to make design tools that consume native code today (a la FramerX and React).. Blend was ahead of its time and would cater to today's designer much better than it did years ago.

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 6:13 AM <wpf-di...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
"Peter O'Hanlon" <pete.o...@gmail.com>: Sep 18 10:04PM +0100

Sooooo, let's see who's still here and interested in WPF (possibly just me
and Brian). I'm pulling together content for the new dotnet core 3 and one
of the big promises is about the new WPF / ...more
Sacha Barber <sacha....@gmail.com>: Sep 18 10:10PM +0100

Mate I am deep server side these days, I am more of a cloud / distributed /
container guy. Still have soft spot for WPF though

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 10:04 PM, Peter O'Hanlon ...more
"Peter O'Hanlon" <pete.o...@gmail.com>: Sep 18 10:16PM +0100

I got that vibe my friend, judging by your articles nowadays.

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 10:10 PM Sacha Barber <sacha....@gmail.com>
wrote:

...more
Colin Eberhardt <colin.e...@gmail.com>: Sep 18 09:20PM

Hi Pete, Sacha,

Same for me, WPF is a distant (yet fond) memory for me. We still have one or two WPF projects at Scott Logic, but everything else is JS, cloud, server side, big data etc ...
...more
"Peter O'Hanlon" <pete.o...@gmail.com>: Sep 18 10:23PM +0100

I've been asked to put together a proposal for a book on C#8 and dotnet
core 3 so I thought I'd better have a play around with the WPF / WF
implementation.

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 10:20 PM ...more
Josh Smith <flappl...@gmail.com>: Sep 18 05:34PM -0400

I haven’t touched WPF in years, it’s been all native iOS for me since I
left the Microsoft world.

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 5:20 PM Colin Eberhardt <colin.e...@gmail.com>
wrote:

...more
"Peter O'Hanlon" <pete.o...@gmail.com>: Sep 18 10:38PM +0100

Yeah, I like to tell people I knew Josh Smith before he became a hipster ;)

...more
Karl Shifflett <kdaw...@gmail.com>: Sep 18 05:43PM -0400

Pete,

I've done tooling for WPF and still love it.

Currently I'm writing tooling to code gen Angular apps from native Sketch
files. We shipped last month, pretty hi octane service.
...more
Daniel Vaughan <daniel...@outcoder.com>: Sep 18 11:43PM +0200

It's been a while for me too. These days I'm mostly focused on Azure,
Xamarin Android, and a little UWP. Though, I still have a soft spot for WPF.

*--*
*Daniel Vaughan*
Co-Founder, Outcoder ...more
"Peter O'Hanlon" <pete.o...@gmail.com>: Sep 18 10:49PM +0100

Ah Microsoft, what could have been..., if only you'd kept the faith.

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 10:44 PM Daniel Vaughan <daniel...@outcoder.com>
wrote:

...more
Sacha Barber <sacha....@gmail.com>: Sep 18 10:50PM +0100

You guys need to man up and get you some kafka I'm your life that's a tool
to behold

That and spark ah my ah bliss things

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018, 22:44 Daniel Vaughan, <daniel...@outcoder.com> ...more
Sacha Barber <sacha....@gmail.com>: Sep 18 10:52PM +0100

Don't know what went wrong there I typed I like wpf and loads of stuff
about kafka came out. Go figure

...more
"Peter O'Hanlon" <pete.o...@gmail.com>: Sep 18 10:58PM +0100

Very kafka-esque

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 10:52 PM Sacha Barber <sacha....@gmail.com>
wrote:

...more
John Gossman <gossm...@gmail.com>: Sep 18 04:11PM -0700

The WPF team still exists (it is run by a guy I hired straight out of
college in 2004). XAML is the most used UI technology for UWP also. After
we shipped the Windows XAML (Jupiter) stuff in Win8, I ...more
Pavan Podila <pavan....@gmail.com>: Sep 19 06:34AM +0530

All React these days for me but WPF was my first love 😇
...more
Mark Smith <ma...@julmar.com>: Sep 18 10:39PM -0500

Want a great ride down memory lane guys! I have fond memories of WPF; I
moved onto Xamarin - launched Xamarin University and am now in a new
project in the Azure docs group. Still have a soft spot ...more
Sacha Barber <sacha....@gmail.com>: Sep 19 06:24AM +0100

John gossman

What you guys did with wpf was nothing short or amazing in my opinion

I think it certainly paved the way for what we see in modern Web frameworks
that all boast about binding
...more
Corrado Cavalli <corrado...@gmail.com>: Sep 19 07:26AM

Hi disciples,
A bit sad to see many of us leaving the WPF land, but is evident that we still love it.
I’m still in the XAML world, with UWP and Xamarin, but of course Azure and all the server side ...more
"Peter O'Hanlon" <pete.o...@gmail.com>: Sep 19 08:39AM +0100

For full disclosure, I should have mentioned that I'm spending more and
more of my time in TypeScript (where have you been all my web development
life?) and Xamarin (same question as TypeScript for ...more
Sacha Barber <sacha....@gmail.com>: Sep 19 08:44AM +0100

Yeah I absolutely love Typescript and building apps with that and
React/react-Redux/Webpack is ALMOST (if you squint a bit) ALMOST palatable

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 8:39 AM, Peter O'Hanlon ...more
Michael Brown <mbr...@kharasoft.com>: Sep 19 01:54AM -0700

I’m doing a lot of React which to me feels like a spiritual successor to WPF. Virtual DOM / Virtual Tree. MVVM type data-bindings with the data store. And event-aggregator style updates with Redux ...more
"Peter O'Hanlon" <pete.o...@gmail.com>: Sep 19 10:34AM +0100

Are you using TypeScript with React Michael?

...more
Jeremy Alles <jeremy...@gmail.com>: Sep 19 01:50PM +0200

Hey everyone,

After Azure, Angular, TypeScript stuff I decided to join Microsoft almost a
year ago. I moved to Berlin and I'm now building Microsoft To-Do for UWP.
So back to the XAML land I used ...more
lau...@galasoft.ch: Sep 19 06:03AM -0700

Hey everyone!!

I am still here! Hey guys... For those of you who don't know, I joined MS
about 1.5 years ago IN Azure... Yes I do cloud development now, and I have
to say it's awesome. ...more
lau...@galasoft.ch: Sep 19 06:04AM -0700

Jeremy I had no idea you were working for MS, and moreover out of Berlin.
I'll make sure to wave your way if I come to Berlin, which might happen in
the future...

Take care
Laurent
...more

Sacha Barber

Sep 19, 2018, 1:55:40 PM9/19/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
I think wpf was ahead of its time

--

---

Marlon Grech

Sep 27, 2018, 2:26:59 AM9/27/18
to wpf-disciples
This thread brings great memories !!!

Myself like many others has switched to the web world. I am using the awesome Aurelia and TypeScript which makes things feel as close to WPF as possible. WPF was indeed ahead of its time. Still remember the Avalon days :) good times

We should plan a reunion all together!

Regards

Marlon Grech / Founder
mgr...@thynksoftware.com / +356 79710723

Thynk Software Ltd

Thynk Software Ltd
Gozo Office: The Tower, 3rd Floor, Fortunato Mizzi Street, Gozo, Malta, VCT 2571
Malta Office: ATL Business Centre, Suite 1, 89 Cannon Road St Venera, Malta, SVR 9035
www.thynksoftware.com

IMPORTANT CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is confidential and intended for the use only of the person to whom this message is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient you are strictly prohibited from reading, disseminating, copying or using this message, or its contents in any way and must contact the sender immediately.

Sacha Barber

Sep 27, 2018, 5:48:39 AM9/27/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Marlon

You dont code still do you. Running the 3 offices you now have not enough for you. Seems like its going great, could not happen to a nicer guy. You da man

How many people do you have now ?

Looks good stuff youv'e made to, very pretty

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 7:35 PM Nathan Dunlap <nathan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Im still here (and back at MSFT). Still doing XAML in UWP these days. That said I am spending a fair bit of time in React and doing similar stuff to Karl working with round tripping Sketch files to React Components.  Coincidentally we spun up a WPF prototype in the last couple weeks. Its fun to be using Blend again and especially ironic to compare it to how excited people are to make design tools that consume native code today (a la FramerX and React).. Blend was ahead of its time and would cater to today's designer much better than it did years ago.

---

---

Peter O'Hanlon

Marlon Grech

Sacha Barber

Sep 27, 2018, 2:29:51 PM9/27/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
What you write code in a suit,  how very posh

Sacha Barber

Sep 27, 2018, 2:33:35 PM9/27/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
So this guy i went to Uni with (hes like 35, im 46) has this new job, solutions architect. he says No I dont code anymore sacha, its a young mans game. He like fills inn JIRA boards and does POC code only now.

I was like I dont get you anymore, hes dead to me

---

---

---

---

Marlon Grech

Sep 27, 2018, 2:36:43 PM9/27/18
to wpf-disciples
I hope he is right... because then we are forever young Sacha :)

---

---

---

---

---

Sacha Barber

Sep 27, 2018, 2:53:17 PM9/27/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Well you certainly look young, I on the other hand have gray hair now

---

---

---

---

---

---

Marlon Grech

Sep 27, 2018, 2:56:03 PM9/27/18
to wpf-disciples
My google picture is 8years old :) I look much different these days haha ... Hair is leaving me tgese days :)

---

---

---

---

---

---

---

Josh Smith

Sep 27, 2018, 4:56:10 PM9/27/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
He's right, coding is a young person's game. Developing reliable software that meets the needs of a business and is adaptable to unforeseen requirements is a profession for serious adults.

Josh

---

---

---

---

---

Sacha Barber

Sep 27, 2018, 4:59:56 PM9/27/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Josh

You're right at work right now we have to use loads of crypto exchanges and they were certainly written my interns, they are weirdest apis ever