Greetings of the New Year, and a question

Peter O'Hanlon

Jan 6, 2017, 6:22:32 AM1/6/17
to WPF Disciples
First of all, a Happy New Year to everyone. I hope that this is going to be a peaceful and prosperous one for everyone.

I have a question that I hope we have the appropriate WPF team expertise to answer. I have an application that I have been using the CompositionTarget.Rendering event to calculate the Framerate against. Yesterday, I saw this particular gem in the documentation:

The CompositionTarget.Rendering event causes WPF to continuously animate. If you use this event, detach it at every opportunity.

I'm curious as to why an event causes WPF to animate, and what the animation in this statement refers to.

Karl Shifflett

Jan 6, 2017, 6:59:31 AM1/6/17
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com

Hi Pete,

Happy New Year to you and your family as well.

That is quite a bizarre and difficult to understand quote.  I’ve not used this event.

I’m in WPF full time now writing tools; back to my first love.

Best to you,

Karl

--

---

Peter O'Hanlon

Jan 6, 2017, 7:01:03 AM1/6/17
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Hey Karl. That's great to hear. I hope things are working out well for you and yours.

Brennon Williams

Jan 9, 2017, 5:24:25 AM1/9/17
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com

Happy new year chaps!

Perhaps it was a translation of documentation, but the term animate may refer to the AnimationTimeline (sitting under all the animation base classes) which is triggered immediately after the next frame is rendered on the screen. The rendering event may force a check into the IsFrozen property of objects specifically to improve performance of animation which is where the AnimationTimeline comes into play.

Either way – it really doesn’t make sense how it is written, and just checking a property in the stack certainly doesn’t translate to “firing” an animation.

I use CT Rendering as a fast app loop inside of most of my WPF apps when I have queues – I never did find anything faster than this. (If you do, let me know).

Best to you all for 2017.

Cheers

Jan 9, 2017, 6:13:23 AM1/9/17
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that Brennon. I'm glad it's not just me thinking there's something wrong with that.

lau...@galasoft.ch

Jan 9, 2017, 6:55:54 AM1/9/17
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com

I tried to add the Composition API PM to this discussion but since it’s a closed group he cannot participate.

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

Peter O'Hanlon

Jan 9, 2017, 7:07:25 AM1/9/17
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Probably be a good idea if he was a part of the group anyway.

lau...@galasoft.ch

Jan 9, 2017, 8:43:02 AM1/9/17
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com

It’s not that easy. He wanted to add people from his team. It’s typically what we do on Microsoft DLs. Not sure how we can solve that.