Microsoft is looking for information on WPF developers usage of: AlternateContent

k-dawg

Jul 19, 2016, 6:02:02 PM7/19/16
to XAML Disciples
Hello Everyone,

Our beloved Tim Heuer and the XAML Team is looking for some metrics around the AlternateContent feature.

Here are the queries:

  • Is AlternateContent  a widely adopted feature by WPF devs?

  • What are existing WPF developers using AlternateContent for?

  • What do developers wish they could use AlternateContent for?

  • Are there any drawbacks to the AlternateContent feature that you’ve seen in practice?

I have never used this feature, so don't have any feedback or first hand knowledge.

Much appreciate your valuable time and feedback.

Best to everyone,

Karl

Peter O'Hanlon

Jul 20, 2016, 2:28:23 AM7/20/16
to XAML Disciples
Sorry Tim, but I have never felt the need to use this feature. To be honest, I have never seen a situation where I would have benefited from it - XAML really doesn't lend itself to a switch style.

--

---

Marlon Grech

Jul 20, 2016, 2:37:37 AM7/20/16
to wpf-disciples

Same as Peter

Sacha Barber

Jul 20, 2016, 2:42:28 AM7/20/16
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com

Never seen or used this feature

Corrado Cavalli

Jul 20, 2016, 2:55:09 AM7/20/16
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com

I was not even aware of it… J

Cheers

/C.

Laurent Bugnion

Jul 20, 2016, 3:27:54 AM7/20/16
to Corrado Cavalli, wpf-di...@googlegroups.com

Lol same here. Never heard, never used 😐

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

Daniel Vaughan

Jul 20, 2016, 5:57:53 AM7/20/16
to XAML Disciples
I too was not aware of that feature. It looks like a pre-processor directive in XAML. I'd say it's rather useful actually.
I'd like to see something like it in the UWP XAML implementation.

Cheers,
Daniel

Laurent Bugnion

Jul 20, 2016, 6:19:02 AM7/20/16
to Daniel Vaughan, XAML Disciples

I am not a fan. I remember when MS introduced xaml 2009 where this kind of things is part of the specification, many developers thought it was the path to code in xaml (think classic ASP) and honestly it seems confusing. I have a feeling that implementing this is possible with DataTemplateSelector and a ContentControl, which is cleaner because it’s code. How do you debug AlternateContent in xaml?

Of course this is just my opinion

Laurent

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

Karl Shifflett

Jul 20, 2016, 7:33:50 AM7/20/16
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Much appreciate the feedback Gentlemen.

Have a wonderful day!

kdawg

Karl Shifflett

Jul 21, 2016, 6:40:46 AM7/21/16
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Everyone,

Microsoft thanks you for your responses.

Have a great day,

Karl

Peter O'Hanlon

Jul 21, 2016, 7:03:03 AM7/21/16
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Time to shout out? Tim, you're a member of the group - we don't bite ;)